Tonearm Drive Belt for Technics SL-QL1

snap, crackle and pop
rnshwa16

Tonearm Drive Belt for Technics SL-QL1

Post by rnshwa16 » 07 Jul 2019 04:24

Recently acquired a Technics SL-QL1 which, unfortunately, experienced some damage due to faulty packaging. When powered on I just get a whirring from the lid containing the tonearm drive system. I'm hoping it's just the drive belt, as the pulley was off its shaft and the belt was just hanging there. I set the pulley on its spindle, but the belt seems a little loose, and it still won't run. As I recall from the SL-DL1, that one used a 2.6" belt, but turntableneedles.com says this one takes a larger 2.9". Can anyone confirm. Anything else I should check in hopes of getting this working? Thanks.

Stvn6
United States of America

Re: Tonearm Drive Belt for Technics SL-QL1

Post by Stvn6 » 08 Jul 2019 04:44

I have recently worked on both the QL1 and the DL1. I can attest from firsthand experience that they require, indeed, the same size belt.

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 08 Jul 2019 06:19

So which size did you use? Turntableneedles.com lists the 2.9" for both these units, but I'm pretty sure I bought a 2.6" from them for my DL1 - a nice unit before something messed up the tracking mechanism, maybe when I "upgraded" the original cartridge. (TP4/P-Mounts tend to be fit tight.)

Stvn6
United States of America

Post by Stvn6 » 08 Jul 2019 17:11

I'm sorry... This is the one I bought: https://www.lpgear.com/product/TSLQ001.html . In typically LPGear fashion, there's no information on the site. I'll try to pop it off tonight and measure it. 2.9" sounds more right to me, but that's not very scientific.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 08 Jul 2019 17:16

From the topic:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=23432

2.9 seems to be the correct diameter, IIRC.

The early pages of the topic explores the use of a "tighter" belt / o ring and the detrimental effects of vibration transmission.

Good luck

Fred

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 08 Jul 2019 20:03

OK, I opened h r up again, pulled the belt, which as shown below isn't quite circular. I don't know if that's significant. I cleaned the small pulley and reattached the belt, which isn't especially tight. Driven by the motor the pulley spins, and I hear whirring/fluttering sound. Is that a sign of a belt requiring replacement? I attempt to turn the big gear with fingers (see photo) but it only moves a few degrees in either direction.

Closed up, the unit powers up, but will not operate. I can hear the whirring/fluttering of the motor/belt/pulley, but it's a tad quieter than before I cleaned said pulley. Control LEDs indicate it's recognizing my touch, but it doesn't play. Hitting Start, the Repeat LED flashes; hitting Stop ends the flashing. Diagnosis?

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 08 Jul 2019 20:05

Whoops! Here's the referenced photo.
Attachments
IMG_1708.JPG
(310.98 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

chgc

Post by chgc » 09 Jul 2019 00:30

Maybe it’s just the camera angle, but it looks to me like the motor pulley and the worm gear pulley are not in the same plane, as if the motor shaft is too short or something.

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 17 Jul 2019 16:36

Here's another shot, and with a new belt. Everything lines up. Unfortunately, the new belt made no difference. Still does not work. I don't know what to check, and the service manual only tells one how to take it apart. I really don't want to sell this "for parts" when the fix could be something simple.
Attachments
IMG_1736.JPG
(312.11 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 17 Jul 2019 17:20

rnshwa16 wrote:
07 Jul 2019 04:24
Recently acquired a Technics SL-QL1 which, unfortunately, experienced some damage due to faulty packaging. When powered on I just get a whirring from the lid containing the tonearm drive system. ......snippage.......
All manuals are in the VE library here:

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... -ql1.shtml

Download the Owners Manual and I take it you've downloaded the service manual(s).

This is a beautiful turntable and yes, it would be a shame to sell this for parts / part it out. Upside, it seems to be alive...... [-o<

Read through this topic as it pretty much applies to all the Technics tangential turntables and a good guide to troubleshooting these things:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... hp?t=23432

Quoted your initial post as it's a clue as to what's happening, I believe it's in the middle of a reject cycle :-k. The turntable is trying to run the tonearm back to it's "home / rest" position (all the way to the right) where it will / should stop and reset the "logic" to begin play of the next LP / 45.

Technics made these turntables to be able to "plug-in", push a button and begin play, returning the tonearm to rest to play the next disc. As mentioned before "solve the logic" and you'll solve the problems with proper operation of these turntables. ie cleaning optical sensors, cleaning / de oxiting quick connects, etc, etc.....

Good luck

Fred and gifted a parts non working QL1, now sounding wonderful

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 17 Jul 2019 18:58

Here are a few things I find curious: On the Disc Size sSensor board, there's a piece of black plastic secure in one track, but otherwise loose. It's not secure in the second track, I'm guessing a nub of plastic broke off. I see also a tint black disk by the lower left of the sensor board that runs into the board of I turn the big white gear a few degrees counter-clockwise. And if I turn it a few degrees clockwise, the black tracking mechanism runs into a contact on a small black assembly by the upper right of the sensor board. This makes no sense to me.
Attachments
IMG_0590.JPG
(242.5 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
IMG_0589.JPG
(323.57 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 17 Jul 2019 19:43

Working! Sort of.

I tape secured that black plastic piece where I figured the Auto position should be and buttoned it up. (WTH, it's just a bunch of screws. Powered it on, held down the "cover down" button, and hit Start. The platter moved momentarily. Encouraging. So I attached the back hinges and put on an old disk. Sound was AWFUL. Pulled the old cartridge - an AT112EP. (Really not easy removing a TP4/P-Mount.) Fortunately, I have a New Old Stock Audio Technica AT450 (nude elliptical) on hand. Sound is *so* much better.

But I'm encountering skip spots, and cue forward doesn't work, unless I back up a bit first. Then I get another skip spot and the process repeats. I dont know if this suggests a tracking problem or I just need to increase tracking force on this new cartridge. Tried a second album, with similar skip problems.
Attachments
IMG_0591.JPG
(263.09 KiB) Downloaded 40 times

chgc

Post by chgc » 18 Jul 2019 14:20

rnshwa16 wrote:
07 Jul 2019 04:24
Recently acquired a Technics SL-QL1 which, unfortunately, experienced some damage due to faulty packaging. When powered on I just get a whirring from the lid containing the tonearm drive system. I'm hoping it's just the drive belt, as the pulley was off its shaft and the belt was just hanging there. I set the pulley on its spindle, but the belt seems a little loose, and it still won't run.
I'm slightly puzzled about what sort of shipping damage could have caused the pulley to come off the spindle without pulverizing the whole deck, but it occurs to me that the pulley could be spinning on the shaft if it was reinstalled without some sort of adhesive or locking compound to secure it.

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 18 Jul 2019 15:23

By design it looks like the pulley is meant to be held in place by the tension in the belt.

In any event, I thought about that skip, thinking that the tonearm itself might not be properly moving, that it was playing a limited bit of the record only due to the bit of "swing" in the tonearm, that it would reach its limit and go no farther, thus the skip (back).

I opened it up yet again and applied some lithium grease to the portion of the black shaft I could. I rechecked the belt and saw I'd mistakenly put the old one back in. Replaced it with new and tested a record from about the middle track. It played properly to the end with no skips and returned to its rest. I'll do another full side test later to see if all is now well, but I'm encouraged.

rnshwa16

Post by rnshwa16 » 19 Jul 2019 14:27

WTH! Yesterday I played a aseries of partial and full album sides, and everything seemed to be working as I'd hoped. I was ready to declare the unit restored. This morning I pulled out another album, played one cut, and it seemed a bit noisy - I'm listening through headphones - so I decided to check the cartridge. Sure enough, it was dirty, so I brushed it off. I pulled out my MA Acoustics test record to check the performance when I noticed... Uh oh, the arm is not in the expected rest/start-of-record position, but rather where that first cut of the previous record ended. I'm pretty certain I hit STOP, not POWER.

But upon powering up, the arm doesn't move, the platter doesn't start, and I get the REPEAT error light just as I did when I began this restoration, except the arm is in the wrong place. I'm detecting a more prominent whirring sound from the motor/pulley. (I'm using that new belt.) Any and all ideas welcome.
Attachments
IMG_0593.JPG
(264.15 KiB) Downloaded 23 times