Any experience with GrooveWasher Record Cleaning Kit?

how clean is your house
lskid
United States of America

Any experience with GrooveWasher Record Cleaning Kit?

Post by lskid » 24 Jun 2019 18:34

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had any experience with the GrooveWasher Record Cleaning kit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 1wBHeS4KMQ

I am looking for something more affordable that allows me to clean my records one at a time. I don't have many records to clean, and I don't want to have the Spin-Clean setup every time I just buy a new record for example.

If you know something better please let me know as well.

Thank you in advance.

lskid
United States of America

Re: Any experience with GrooveWasher Record Cleaning Kit?

Post by lskid » 25 Jun 2019 18:45

Anyone that maybe know something better?

Thanks

noisefreq
United States of America

Post by noisefreq » 25 Jun 2019 21:47

A vintage Dishwasher picks up the dust of the vinyl surface better than the knockoff Groove washer.

I use the real thing with home made cleaning solution along with a carbon fiber brush and it works very good.

BUT, the key to the whole endeavor is properly wet cleaning and vacuuming the records and fitting them with new sleeves before you ever reach for the dust brush.

davidkeith89

Post by davidkeith89 » 26 Jun 2019 02:34

I’ve used GrooveWasher for a couple of years now, and in my experience, it works better than my vintage Discwasher. I don’t spray the record as they show in their directions (unless I’m cleaning a ver dirt record), I lightly moisten the leading edge as you would with Discwasher, and the use it like a Discwasher before every play. Has always worked great. One nice feature, the pad is removable for cleaning.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 26 Jun 2019 18:54

I'm using Groovewasher with the vintage Discwasher brush. Works just fine. Had to clean out the old solution from the brush first. I have used it as directed by spraying directly on the record and using a microfiber cloth rolled into a brush and that works extremely well on exceptionally dirty LP's. The current rendition of Discwasher fluid is NOT what the original was so I don't use that. Groovewasher isn't either but it's better than the other in my experience, that stuff leaves a nasty residue that makes crackles way worse.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 27 Jun 2019 14:50

To my mind, a Discwasher lies between a carbon fiber brush and a Spin Clean in it's effectiveness.

Discwashers and their ilk work well enough to do a preliminary clean of a used record just after getting it but are not as thorough as a Spin Clean.

I buy way too many used records and had been using a Discwasher first if the record was dirty enough and I wanted to play it right away. The cost of Spin clean fluid kept going up and up and I became reluctant to mix a batch unless I had 30 or 40 LP's to justify a trough full.

I'm thrifty by necessity.

My solution (literally) was a Spin Clean fluid substitute. It took some thought and reading but the answer was simple, cheap and works exactly the same as Spin Clean liquid. That stuff is now $40 CAD in local stores for a 16oz bottle.

I have no qualms anymore about mixing a batch and cleaning just a few records at a time.

A Discwasher still sees use if I want to play a record immediately as in not having to wait until it dries after Spin Cleaning it.

I gave one of my surplus D3 brushes and fluid to a friend for her to use on any used records she might obtain on her own. I thought it doubtful she would involve herself in a more effective record cleaning procedure and a Discwasher is better than nothing.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 27 Jun 2019 18:43

I'll agree that your method of cleaning is much better. I was taking it that the OP needed something to use just before each record play, and that is what I mainly use G2 for, not for thorough cleaning. I may have misunderstood.