Audio Technica AT-LP60XBT Turntable

snap, crackle and pop
rmurad38
United States of America

Audio Technica AT-LP60XBT Turntable

Post by rmurad38 » 20 Jun 2019 19:59

I had not seen a formal review on this TT here so I figured why not.

I just returned the Target "Heyday" Turntable after 2 failed attempts. I don't think my issues were a fault of the unit itself but rather shipping issues and my local stores handling of customer returns (I feel my second one was a return, not new) anyway this post is not to bash that unit, I feel that unit is a good value and and decent provided you get a good one.

Anyway, onto the AT-LP60XBT, This unit was introduced during CES 2019 so its still pretty new. Its functionally identical to the old LP60 which while forums like this tend to bash it, it has many more positive happy owners. It's not "audiophile" by any stretch but it does its job well, is simple to use, etc. This particular unit also has built-in bluetooth which as I had mentioned in my Heyday impressions, was perfect for my particular use case.

The AT-LP60XBT has been redone in new plastics (the construction is almost 100% plastic here) which look more modern and fresh, while the main body is black, it can be ordered with a Black, Red, Silver, Brown, or White front panel accent. Black was in stock so I just kept it simple and went with that. Unpacking the box showed the unit well protected (more than I can say for the Heyday unit) the box contained the player, its aluminum platter, a nice thick felt slip mat, a box with the AC adapter , 45rpm adapter, and an RCA to 3.5mm cable. I placed the platter on the turntable and used the ribbon taped to it to put the belt over the hub of the motor. I 'll say the belt is SUPER thin and not probably going to last, oh well cheap easy repair if it fails. not much to see on the back panel, it had the 12v DC in (the AC adapter is the typical wall wart style, the PSU no longer resides in the player, but this could be a plus keeping noise out of the signal it is also responsible for making this player ever lighter than the original. there is also a 3.5mm jack (better than the old units short fixed cable) and the switchable phono preamp.

Across the front panel, left to right, are a speed adjustment for 33 1/3 and 45rpm. right hand side has a start, stop, and cue control like the old model. This player is fully automatic. On the front left of the player, just below the platter is the Bluetooth paring button and LED. Lower right of the platter is a 7 12 size selector.

When I plugged in the player, it automatically was in Paring mode (an LED flashes quickly between red and blue) I went over to my bluetooth soundbar and set it to paring mode, it connected almost instantly (2-3sec tops) at that point, the LED went steady blue and I was ready to go.

Like the LP60 before it, the cartridge is fixed to the tonearm, but uses an AT3600L Stylus, higher and replacements are available so there is a slight upgrade path, as much one one that a table of this caliber would ever need.

On to the sound, I got lucky and this unit doesn't seem to have any obvious wow and flutter and speed sounds as it should, though I've not tested with a strobe disk. If it were to be off, there are trim adjustments to tweak the speed. On to the sound quality itself, it sounds like anything else using an AT3600L, reasonably full, nothing special, but more importantly, nothing standout bad. Considering I'm connected to a BT soundbar, I think it sounds fine for the purpose. As I said before, stylus upgrades are available if someone wants more. For my casual use for background use during parties, its totally fine. There is also no obvious motor noise, and clicks and pops from less than perfect records are very minimal.

In the end, I think I'm happy and anyone getting a start with vinyl or just using it casually should like it. I think this unit would also be great for kids/teens as the fully automatic nature of it could prevent dumb mistakes. Also having so many connectivity options makes it ideal for those who may not have a dedicated sound system just a BT speaker, or even just BT headphones and your listening to vinyl. The unit does track heavy, over 3 grams, so it may not be the player for priceless irreplaceable records, but its perfect for the typical thrift store, or used records from a record shop. All told, I recommend if you keep your expectations in check.

If anyone has any questions that I didn't cover here, please feel free to ask!
Attachments
20190620_140058.jpg
(100.35 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Audio Technica AT-LP60XBT Turntable

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 20:26

Tracking Force? I'm guessing over 3.5 grams. Not good, if so.

rmurad38
United States of America

Post by rmurad38 » 14 Aug 2019 21:11

I actually measured the tracking force the other day with a digital scale. 3.62 grams if anyone was curious. Still happy with this unit for what it is a month and a half later. It does its job without complaint, and I've had no issues.

joedisco
Mexico

Post by joedisco » 15 Aug 2019 19:48

Thanks for your review Im sure its gonna be useful for a lot of people.
I have heard the LP60 and it sounds good and it seems solid.
I think this is better than most other entry level TT of similar price.
I do not own one but Im thinking about getting one LP60X because it will make it easier to rip some vinyl as it is light and small so it fits good close to my PC.