Turntable bearing oil

snap, crackle and pop
mrw00ds

Turntable bearing oil

Post by mrw00ds » 20 Jun 2019 15:44

I'm worried that I've screwed up here! Resistant as I was to paying £20-£30 for some "audiophile" oil for the main bearing of my Pro-Ject "The Classic" I recently used some common-or-garden 3-in-1 oil. Now each record seems to have a faint scraping sound...not rumble exactly, it's too high pitched for that. It's not very loud, and once the music starts you can barely hear it...but it shouldn't be there.

Have I done any damage? If so, can I rectfy it?

Thanks!

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Turntable bearing oil

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 18:06

I don't see how that could have caused a scraping sound. Maybe you didn't get the platter seated back together right. Take it off again and inspect everything carefully. Maybe you dislodged something. If it was a light weight oil, it should be OK. Hope you didn't use more than a drop or two.

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » 20 Jun 2019 18:29

I have heard that the 3-in-1 in the red container does not last and is not recommended for things like this. The 3-in-1 in the BLUE container is what you want. I would clean out the red and get some blue!

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 20 Jun 2019 19:09

Well you were right into doubting the price of that "audiophile" oil, but for 30 bucks you will at least sleep at night.

You cant just use any oil you can find. Every manufacturer uses its own type of oil. The main thing to get right is the viscosity, good adhesive properties (so it does not run down on a vertical bearing), safe to use on colored metals, and EP additives.

Now, if you use a too light or too heavy viscosity oil it will cause metal to metal contact, damaging the bearing. Too thick oil cant create a protective surface in between the bearing (since its too thick), too light oil will not form a strong enough coating (causing again metal to metal contact). If you did not clean the old oil and just put another oil in there, it can cause a chemical reaction, damaging the bearing and turning the oil into glue.

Just clean everything thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol. When you think the bearing is clean, clean it a couple more times. Then let it dry, so that the alcohol evaporates, and put the correct oil in there.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 20:12

I cannot imagine the recommended oil being that expensive. Wait...I just looked it up...WOW :!: #-o [-X

vinyl buff
Great Britain

Post by vinyl buff » 21 Jun 2019 12:00

I recently acquired a transcriptor saturn turntable the bearing was solid in the bottom of the spindle shaft.
i contacted j. a. Mitchell who said normal 3in1 was fine.... i actually ended up using the oil you get with Hair clippers it done the job and runs smooth as.....

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Jun 2019 16:32

I really think some of these oils are hyped and oversold.