Warped anti skate test record

snap, crackle and pop
raedio
United States of America

Warped anti skate test record

Post by raedio » 20 Jun 2019 00:57

Just bought my first anti skate blank test record. It arrived rather warped. My instinct would be that this would render it pretty worthless. Anyone know if it can still be used for it's intended purpose or should I return it?

Cheers!

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Warped anti skate test record

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 01:24

Definite return.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 20 Jun 2019 17:29

Is it a blank disc or are there recorded grooves? I have never seen a blank record that was marketed as an antiskating test disc. My test is the unused side of a Casablanca Disco era soundtrack. It was in the $1 pile at my LRS and it has buckled some and still performs its task nicely. Many 12 inch singles had blank sides as well.

raedio
United States of America

Post by raedio » 20 Jun 2019 17:33

Hmm, it's grooveless

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 18:02

Doesn't matter. It's useless.

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 20 Jun 2019 18:08

I am begging to differ. For antiskate, unless the stylus is throwing around on big warps, it is recreating a playback condition. Short of highly technical antiskate tests involving scopes and comparing mono groove outputs, the degree of flatness shouldn't matter, the stylus should stand stll anyways. Besides, there has never been a 100% flat record pressed. All duscs have some measurable warp or thickness differences.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 19:03

I'll differ back. On a mild warp, it might work. Otherwise, I don't see how you can properly adjust when the cantilever is dancing vertically. I'm assuming the OP's record is badly warped. He said "rather warped".

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 20 Jun 2019 19:52

I am curious how warped it is too. My blank disk has at least a 4mm rise and fall but it is not sharp like a disc melted in the sun. I see almost as much warp on new discs maybe 3 of 4 bought in last few years. If my stylus starts bouncing, I won't use a record on my AT440mlb. I find bouncing hurts my woofers.

vinylrayk
United States of America

Post by vinylrayk » 20 Jun 2019 21:56

raedio wrote:
20 Jun 2019 00:57
Just bought my first anti skate blank test record. It arrived rather warped. My instinct would be that this would render it pretty worthless. Anyone know if it can still be used for it's intended purpose or should I return it?

Cheers!
Technically speaking, the disc is defective and should be returned.

But... the warped disc is a better real world test - if your setup is stable with the warped test disc, the adjustments will then more likely be in a comfort zone that will handle a wider variety of discs that you listen to.

And... there is much debate and disagreement on the validity of the blank record method for setting AS. The very tip of the diamond that contacts the blank grooveless surface is neither contoured nor polished, and the friction characteristics of such flat surface contact will not necessarily correlate with the contact surfaces of the diamond sitting in the V notch of a groove. In the long run, trust your own experience. Setting AS is an approximation anyway, and what works for someone else won't necessarily be the best setup for your particular equipment.

Ray K

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 22:14

The old recommendation of setting AS so the arm stays still on a blank disc will give insufficient AS on a modulated groove. A better SWAG (sophisticated wild assed guess #-o ) is to set the AS so that the arm drifts slowly outwards on a blank disc. :wink:

raedio
United States of America

Post by raedio » 21 Jun 2019 01:05

Turns out it's about 4mm of warp. Thank you gentlemen for your lively debate and thoughts, giving me lots to consider! Regardless, seller of said disc is sending a replacement. Will have to see if it's abject blankness is garbage or at all useful. Makes sense that personal preference plays a part but is one general rule not to bother with blank discs and just set anti skate to match tonearm setting?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Jun 2019 01:26

In most cases, that will not be enough. The blank disc, with slight outward drift is a much better bet. SWAG!

raedio
United States of America

Post by raedio » 21 Jun 2019 01:27

I'm into tryin that! :)

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 21 Jun 2019 02:35

Good man. This has been advocated by other SWAGgers.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 21 Jun 2019 03:55

Good to hear you are getting a replacement.
I've picked up a video laser disk for anti-skate checking, just need to be careful the styli doesn't fall into the large hole in the centre. $1 at the op shop (goodwill).
I'm aware that many don't think the blank disk approach is very valid. I've never explored this area, so got the disk out of curiosity more than anything else. I've had a tech. set my anti-skate correctly.