Pro-ject Acryl IT

snap, crackle and pop
StuieJW
Great Britain

Pro-ject Acryl IT

Post by StuieJW » 19 Jun 2019 20:26

Hi folks,

Just after some advice. I purchased the Pro-ject Acryl IT from Amazon about a year ago for my Debut Carbon 3 table. Something that has really annoyed me is the height and bugs me to this day whether it is a legit platter or just the way it is.

It came in a box saying main platter / Acryl, not a Pro-ject box. It is well made and it does sound excellent but when you play 180g vinyl there is hardly any gap between a 2M cart and the vinyl, even to the point of being slightly tail up on the arm.

Now with me being anal about setup, I know this isn`t right. With my standard platter I removed the spacer which came with default 2M stylus and place it on top of the arm as it sounded better due to changing the SRA. With this platter even with that mod it is too close for comfort.

Soo my question is, is this acrylic platter right and if so why is it marketed for the debut carbon if it really alters the SRA from the standard platter. Luckily the 2M black has sounded great on it but it isn`t right.

20mm seems too high to me, 18/19mm would be desired on a table where you can`t lift the arm. I am kind of hoping someone says this is fake it should be no different from the standard platter which in that case I would buy another.

Thanks,
Stu

]eep
Netherlands

Re: Pro-ject Acryl IT

Post by ]eep » 20 Jun 2019 01:25

I don't think anal is the right word. More like unreasonable. Or autistic. Or fixated on the wrong idea. If the platter spins nicely without wobbling the platter is OK. If it's hard to see if it's spinning its perfect. For a 2M red 1 or 2mm is totally unimportant. 2mm over 223mm is an angle of? If you decrease your VTF by 0.1g the angle difference is? And how does that affect your stylus? As long as nothing is touching or grinding there's no reason to look into it. And if you're really unsure just put a strip of paper or plastic or putty between your cartridge and headshell as a shim to tilt the angle somewhat if you can't adjust the arm height. Don't blame the platter for a non adjustable arm. Be creative and solve it. That's how all these turntables sprang into existence in the first place. Ideas, creativity and er, sweat.

StuieJW
Great Britain

Post by StuieJW » 20 Jun 2019 18:23

Thanks for the reply, not sure it warranted mentioning mental health though.

Let me simplify my question.

Platter / blaming platter- It is designed for the Debut Carbon. If my table was still setup as it came from the factory, the 2M cart would bottom out on a record. Table as received came with a 2mm shim between cart and arm.

With my current setup - No shim, 2M cart body is extremely close to bottoming out.

So is this normal, is this just how it is with Pro-ject`s acrylic platter and a 2M cart or should it be the same height/clearance as the original metal platter.

Thanks.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 20 Jun 2019 21:48

Is the tonearm itself parallel to the LP surface?

StuieJW
Great Britain

Post by StuieJW » 21 Jun 2019 07:47

Hi there, no it is very slightly tail up whereas nicely parallel/very slightly downwards normally.

I measured the platter last night, project claims it is 20mm, this thing I have is 18mm (but looks identical to images).

That in theory would be better but sits high which probably means the recess isn`t machined properly as it sits high and is a knock off.

I have ordered a new one which arrives today, if it`s the same then will return but fingers crossed will be different.