Technics Belt Drive or Direct drive

snap, crackle and pop
cocochocho
Belgium

Technics Belt Drive or Direct drive

Post by cocochocho » 19 Jun 2019 15:43

I'm considering either buying the technics SL 23 A (for 80 euro) or the technics SL D2 (for 120euro). Which one would you recommend ? Is there a real difference ?

tcolegrove
United States of America

Re: Technics Belt Drive or Direct drive

Post by tcolegrove » 19 Jun 2019 16:47

I personally would opt for the SL-D2. The SL-23 motors are not the best and often become very stiff and noisy. While the motors can be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated - that's just not something I want to do. And then there's having to find the right belt and keeping the spindle lubed...

Regarding the difference between belt and direct drive - there's no audible difference that I've been able to detect.

ariendj

Post by ariendj » 19 Jun 2019 19:44

My parents have a Technics SL-D2 and it's an okay turntable. It's a very basic model though. Personally, I find 120€ a bit expensive for what it offers. I remember that the speed wasn't completely stable, some slight drift was always visible when you looked at the strobe light. At that price, I'd try to get a quartz controlled direct drive model, maybe the SL-Q2. It's basically the same deck but with quartz control. For the Q2 I think 120€ would be an okay price, still not a really good deal, but reasonable.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 19 Jun 2019 23:09

The same speed problems referred to on the d2, are just as common on the q2. They are caused by dirt, actually oxidation, of the speed control adjusters, which is very easily fixed by the user. The d2 is a fabulous table. No noise, no wow or flutter, and for a few dollars more, you can get a d3, which is totally automatic-autostart. If speed problems arise, there are several Youtube videos, showing exactly how to clean the speed adjustment controls. Not complicated.

ariendj

Post by ariendj » 19 Jun 2019 23:17

lenjack wrote:
19 Jun 2019 23:09
The same speed problems referred to on the d2, are just as common on the q2. They are caused by dirt, actually oxidation, of the speed control adjusters, which is very easily fixed by the user. The d2 is a fabulous table. No noise, no wow or flutter, and for a few dollars more, you can get a d3, which is totally automatic-autostart. If speed problems arise, there are several Youtube videos, showing exactly how to clean the speed adjustment controls. Not complicated.
I did not know that. I'll take the D2 apart and will try to fix it. Thanks, lenjack!

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 Jun 2019 01:23

Go to youtube and look for Technics turntable speed control problems. You may not find one that's exact for the d2, but you'll find several that are close enough. It's a well know issue with all turntables.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 20 Jun 2019 02:36

There is an ongoing debate concerning the relative merits of belt driven v.s. direct driven TTs. According to my ears, there is a difference, but it is quite subtle and not necessarily an advantage. For some music, particularly acoustic and orchestral, some belt drive systems will give a sense of "live" to the performance, compared to the same album played on a direct drive turntable. However, this perceived quality is the result of the elastic nature of a turntable belt, which softens transitions in the music, and will be less analytical (sometimes) than the playback from a direct driven turntable. Some individuals find that sense of "warmth" more appealing, even though the direct drive experience may actually be more precise and true to the source. I have 8 DD turntables, and only 2 belt driven turntables, and feel this variance between the two types of drive when playing. Whether one is definitely better or more appreciated, I wouldn't commit to stating. Different, yes, but interesting and appealing for what they are, only. For some, it is nearly religion, for me, more an interesting characteristic. YMMV...... :)