Transcriptor saturn motor vibration help

snap, crackle and pop
vinyl buff
Great Britain

Transcriptor saturn motor vibration help

Post by vinyl buff » 19 Jun 2019 10:31

Hi.
i have got my Transcriptor saturn turntable all working with an Ortofon 2M RED cartridge..
problem I'm having is what I can only say as MOTOR vibration!
when I put the stylus on the record there is a hum/low vibration coming through the speakers, at the run off grooves you can hear it through quiet parts of a song you can hear it.....
i noticed there are 3 springs on the motor plate should i try some rubber washers or something to eliminate the vibration going through the frame platter ect....
if when stylus is playing run off I gently move the springs the vibration quietens

please help it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.....

vinylsgreat

Re: Transcriptor saturn motor vibration help

Post by vinylsgreat » 18 Jul 2019 05:15

Nobody? I have the same sort of problem with my Marantz 6100 (backup TT).

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 18 Jul 2019 11:06

@Vinyl Buff

Try on this forum:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... m.php?f=81

Or just contact them via email:

http://www.michell-engineering.co.uk
Last edited by Solist on 18 Jul 2019 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 18 Jul 2019 11:10

In regard to that Marantz 6100, when was the last time the motor was serviced? Is there any noise coming out of it?

It could be old oil, or the rubber mounts of the turntable getting hard or soft after so many years. Could be both. If the rubber mounts are shot, contact organdonorparts, they might have something you could use.

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 19 Jul 2019 03:24

Hi, I have a Saturn and there is no vibration. I'll look at it tomorrow and see how the motor is mounted. I don't recall just now. I seem to believe mine is on a sub-assembly and may be suspended like you mentioned with springs. Is it possible you have the wrong belt. One too tight could transmit motor vibrations.

gofar99
United States of America

Post by gofar99 » 19 Jul 2019 16:38

Hi, I checked mine this morning and it does have a suspended motor platform with three springs. They are extended approximately 1/2 inch below the main plinth. Check to see that yours are not too tight. Another thing to check is to verify that the controls, wires and such are not hitting the plinth either from the underside. I am not fond of these motors but they do work. When turned by hand they feel awful, but when going are apparently OK. Since this is number 4 in my TT line up it is more eye candy that useful. Everyone wows about it, but the other three actually are less fiddly and play better. Half of the problem is the overall design and half for the vestigial arm.