Autoplay and return scraping across records--help??

snap, crackle and pop
cactuswren
United States of America

Autoplay and return scraping across records--help??

Post by cactuswren » 19 Jun 2019 02:07

Hello, everyone. New owner of a (family pre-owned) Yamaha P-750 Full automatic turntable here...it always worked in the past, but we just got it set up at our house--including having the cartridge replaced by our local record shop. This service was supposed to include all necessary adjustments. However, it seems to me that the cue elevator (?) is too low for the length of the new cartridge or something, because even when it is "up" it bounces off the edge of the record no matter how I try to balance it, if I press play. I can hand place it on the record, of course, but when I press Cut or it reaches the end, the auto return scrapes across the entire platter--I also can't figure out how turn off the autoplay cycle, so I'm afraid to play records without standing right there to catch it at the end. I did see advice on changing the height of the cue elevator for other types of TTs but there is no visible screw on this model, and I don't want to start taking things apart without knowing what I'm doing...

Advice would be very appreciated!

smee4
long player
long player

Re: Autoplay and return scraping across records--help??

Post by smee4 » 19 Jun 2019 08:44

In the manual here https://www.vinylengine.com/library/yamaha/p-750.shtml I read that the tonearm height is adjustable. Maybe lowering the tonearm pivot will raise the opposite end enough to clear the record.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 19 Jun 2019 08:47

Also, cartridges can be different heights, hence your problem. I once solved a similar problem by sticking a small bit of plastic to the underside of a tonearm just where it rests on the lift lever.

cactuswren
United States of America

Post by cactuswren » 19 Jun 2019 16:06

Thank you! I just tried adjusting the tonearm height and yes, the cue elevator adjusted with it! Problem solved.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 19 Jun 2019 23:37

cactuswren wrote:
19 Jun 2019 16:06
Thank you! I just tried adjusting the tonearm height and yes, the cue elevator adjusted with it! Problem solved.
I see. Not quite what I imagined, but that's a good result. Well done.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 21 Jun 2019 00:48

Not quite intuitive, but you can see in the manual when they show adjusting the tonearm height they are pulling the tonearm up and down with the cueing up and the tonearm on the rest, and the entire tonearm is moving up and down in a parallel fashion.

Hopefully adjusting the tonearm up hasn't resulted in a 'drag car' stance to the tonearm when it is playing ... i.e. bad VTA.