Dual 1009 Restore

snap, crackle and pop
psonderman
United States of America

Dual 1009 Restore

Post by psonderman » 17 Jun 2019 16:53

New to forum. Restoring Dual 1009, want to check drive wheel, but afraid to lift the three rubber fingers and cap covering the c-clip, allowing removal of the turntable. The fingers might break? Is there a trick to removing the turntable? Thanks, Phil

tcolegrove
United States of America

Re: Dual 1009 Restore

Post by tcolegrove » 17 Jun 2019 18:47

Welcome to VE!

It's not difficult and relatively easy to remove. The way I do it is with a very small screwdriver (like a jeweler's screwdriver) and gently pry under the metal trim disc and then lift the disc up. The 'fingers' will move out of the way. Then you'll see a very small circlip (metal clip) that needs to be removed from the spindle shaft. Use the same screwdriver to pry it out but be careful - those things will fly a looooong ways away! Then lift the platter up to reveal the idler wheel. Reinstall is the reverse.

psonderman
United States of America

Re: Dual 1009 Restore

Post by psonderman » 18 Jun 2019 00:40

Got it! I used a foil cutter knife from a wine opener (nice and thin) and a magnetized screwdriver tip to catch the clip. Now, the turntable looks like its been coated with some sort of lacquer (orange in color) and not a consistent coating..worn off in spots, and a different thickness where its worn. I can see why the rubber wheel doesn't get traction. Any thoughts? Thank you, Phil