Zenith turntable wiring, Broken spindle and Lift spring

snap, crackle and pop
gmm2511
United States of America

Zenith turntable wiring, Broken spindle and Lift spring

Post by gmm2511 » 17 Jun 2019 14:26

Hi, Newbie here.

I have two Zenith consoles, a Y960 and an ML2658H that I am in the process of restoring. The ML2658H is a hybrid with the tube preamp/tuner and solid state 240W amp in French Provincial and the Y960 is the straight solid state preamp/tuner and amp in the Danish Contemporary. I ran into a bit of bad luck about two weeks ago while travelling from Dallas Texas to Philadelphia with my belt drive Zenith 169-174 turntable packed very well in my roller suitcase to bring on the plane with me and not take the chance at checking it so it would be safe with me. Unfortunately, by the time it was my time to board, the bag space on the plane was all exhausted so the rest of us boarding had to check our bags. I freaked! I just completely took that turntable apart cleaned it and reassembled it. They took my bag, fingers crossed that it would be OK. When I got home in PHL, it was not. The top of the spindle was bent. I tried to bend it back and as I feared it snapped off in my hand. I was like @#$%*. Anyway, these spindles are near impossible to find so I bought a back up V of M Zenith turntable to replace it until I find a spindle for the belt drive. The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to find out how to wire the switch on the V of M turntable with the orange, gray and yellow wires. I have tried different variations and blew fuses and circuit breakers! I bought a new acrylic switch from Gary Stork at V of M
and it has 4 poles. When the switch is turned on, two poles connect with a V shaped metal band. The third pole and 4th pole don't seem to be connected to anything but I did use the third pole to connect the brown wire of the motor to the orange wire via the white wire coming from the molex connecter. I was hoping someone would know which wires connect to which poles to use this to turn on and off the console and turntable without burning down the house! Also, anyone know where I might be able to find a spindle lying around that is dying to go back to work? I am also having a problem with tonearm lift on both turntables where as the lift spring is loose and sloppy not allowing the lift pin to lift the tone arm during cycling. The lift spring just loosely lifts up with the lift pin and the tone arm does not move. Is this spring supposed to have a bend in it? Mine are both flat. Sheesh. Anyway.. this is a long read. These old girls need a lot of attention so it goes with the territory they need a lot of help and TLC. Thanks for your help in advance.
Attachments
Lift Spring.jpg
Lift spring for tonearm
(304.78 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
VofM wiring 4.jpg
wiring connections to amp wires on VofM
(167.83 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
VofM switch.jpg
Current wiring VofM switch
(109.1 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Turntable switch 1.jpg
VofM Turntable switch