Technics SL-7 tonearm

snap, crackle and pop
vainils
Latvia

Technics SL-7 tonearm

Post by vainils » 17 Jun 2019 10:20

Hi,

I recently got an SL-7 & everything kinda works, but there is one thing worrying me a bit:
The tonearm, when a button is pressed is lifting up very rapidly with an diagonally outwards ↗ direction
rather than a slow & vertical movement as when dropping on the record.
Does anyone have this kind of experience & maybe a solution for a fix?

Thanks in advance!

chgc

Re: Technics SL-7 tonearm

Post by chgc » 17 Jun 2019 15:00

I have no direct experience with the SL-7, but for what it’s worth: Does the tonearm mechanism track smoothly across the entire record? Is the tonearm offset angle adjusted correctly as per instructions on p. 13 of the service manual?

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-7 tonearm

Post by fscl » 18 Jun 2019 16:10

vainils wrote:
17 Jun 2019 10:20
Hi,

I recently got an SL-7 & everything kinda works, but there is one thing worrying me a bit:
The tonearm, when a button is pressed is lifting up very rapidly with an diagonally outwards ↗ direction
rather than a slow & vertical movement as when dropping on the record.
Does anyone have this kind of experience & maybe a solution for a fix?

Thanks in advance!
Check out this topic:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 2&start=90

1/2 way down this page shows the tonearm dampening assembly. The pictures show this fully cleaned and ready for silicone oil application on the flutes which then the barrel section slides over. The left arm extending from the plate with the flutes goes to the cue arm lift solenoid. The barrel section fits into the tonearm and is set screwed in place.

The silicone dampening oil controls the speed of the tonearm dropping onto the record surface and lifting off the LP.

Renewing the dampening oil will slow down the whole process / logic and so the mechanism will not appear to pull upward in a diagonal fashion...... :-k

Good luck and welcome to VE....... :) It doesn't hurt to read / skim through the entire topic above as it relates to SL-7 troubleshooting and operation.

Fred