Stanton D810 stylus and which turntable to use?

snap, crackle and pop
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Stanton D810 stylus and which turntable to use?

Post by DarthMaul » 17 Jun 2019 02:37

Which turntable and tonearm would be better suited for using my Stanton D810 mono LP stylus? It's got a big fat cantilever. The cartridge is high compliance normally. I have two turntables I can use it with, each with a different tonearm:

Thorens TD126 MK III with SME 3009 Series III tonearm
Technics SL-1200MK2 with stock tonearm

Which is the better choice for this?

One problem I have with it is that its cantilever is skewed to the right, and it requires a maximum of 5 grams of tracking force. Should I use my Denon DL-102 or Denon DL-103R instead? I'm asking as I'm getting closer to listening to an old mono recording of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier by Wanda Landowska. Need to know what cartridge out of these might bring out the best in that recording. I can only use the Denon cartridges I have with my SL-1200. The SME tonearm I have is too low mass for them.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Stanton D810 stylus and which turntable to use?

Post by DarthMaul » 17 Jun 2019 21:32

Does anybody have an opinion which turntable I should use? I have a way to hook up both at once, since I have a small amplifier being stored under the main one.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 18 Jun 2019 03:58

I should consider this: My Technics SL-1200MK2 is capable of a higher anti-skate setting than the TD126 MK III is, but the TD-126 MK III is capable of better sound quality, despite taking much longer to get completely warmed up. I have not tried this box set with my DL-103R. Max 2.5 grams will result in less wear on the records than the 5 grams of the D810. Would the skewing on my D810 stylus cause an issue even though the stylus is a 1 mil conical? Note that if I use it on my Thorens TD126 MK III, I am not changing the alignment. Don't want to redo it when the D98IIs gets reinstalled. But using the Technics turntable for this record set will mean the Thorens doesn't get a stylus change. But perhaps the Technics SL-1200 might be the better choice considering the D810's cantilever is probably more stiff.

Folks, I need a reply soon. I will get to that box set tomorrow, since the last remaining Handel record I bought on the Decca label was missing the Water Music Suite in G Major. Ended up buying a copy with the light blue Decca label. I estimate I will get past the Goldberg Variations and Bach's sonata albums before it gets to me.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 18 Jun 2019 21:50

I am going to set up my Denon 103R and see how it sounds compared to using the Stanton D810. Whatever sound is the superior one I will use. This will determine which turntable gets used for the Bach Well-Tempered Clavier records by Wanda Landowska I have on RCA Victor.