Thoughts on Jelco JAC-PP19E2 RCA cable

snap, crackle and pop
rlwings
Canada

Thoughts on Jelco JAC-PP19E2 RCA cable

Post by rlwings » 15 Jun 2019 15:07

Hey guys... Has anybody had any experience with the Jelco JAC-PP19E2 RCA cables? - I want to replace my Technics SL-1210GR's cable with a reasonably priced upgrade. Do you think this cable will be better than the stock cable which claims to be of low capacitance. (Running Nagaoka MP-200 and Schiit Mani)

Greatly appreciate any input.

Solist
Slovenia

Re: Thoughts on Jelco JAC-PP19E2 RCA cable

Post by Solist » 16 Jun 2019 15:56

It depends on the capacitance of the original one, and how well it works with your cartridge/preamp.

Upgrading something just because its more expensive, and hoping it will sound better is a not a good strategy.

rlwings
Canada

Post by rlwings » 16 Jun 2019 16:10

Thank you... So is there an easy 'test' or way to know ahead of time if a cable will perform better (or worse) in one's system? ... Is capacitance easily measured? How would I measure it? Or do specs reveal all. What would I be looking for? - Sorry for all the questions. It's just that every review of the 1200GR suggests replacing the cable as a first important upgrade, (along with the headshell).

Thanks.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 16 Jun 2019 16:21

You could try and find the original specs of the cable. If its not in the manual someone probably measured it. You could check forums to see if you can find any information.

Google is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 8&oe=UTF-8

I dont know what capacitance is ideal for your system, some detective work should anwser all your questions. I sadly dont have time currently, I can help only so much.

In regard to the headshell, it again depends. Better headshells tend to be less prone to vibrate which is a good thing. The one thing to be cautious about is the mass of the headshell.

By changing the headshell with a lighter one you decrease the tonearm effective mass, which would be suitable for higher compliance cartridges. If you were to order a heavier headshell you would increase the effective mass, which would make it suitable for lower compliance cartridges.

Judging by the looks your tonearm is suited for medium compliance cartridges. If I remember correctly, the nagaoka should be medium compliance, you can check the specs on their site.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 16 Jun 2019 17:57

rlwings wrote:
16 Jun 2019 16:10
Thank you... So is there an easy 'test' or way to know ahead of time if a cable will perform better (or worse) in one's system? ... Is capacitance easily measured? How would I measure it? Or do specs reveal all. What would I be looking for? - Sorry for all the questions. It's just that every review of the 1200GR suggests replacing the cable as a first important upgrade, (along with the headshell).

Thanks.
Hello,

What reviews suggest cable and headshell replacement? I'm curious to know exactly what could be achieved by doing this. Technics are not fools and the table is not a cheap entry level one, it is a fine table. I haven't seen one of these TTs, so I cant say for sure, but I guess the cables have copper conductors and have shielding and the capacitance is low enough to allow carts to work. Technics will not supply something that wont work to the level the table can work at. The same for the headshell, the range of cart weights that can be accommodated by the arm is vast with and without the auxiliary weight. I would really like to know how much any of this would alter (i'm loathe to say improve) the sound. Cartridges give the best improvement in sound for the money, all things being equal (you are not likely to change the arm, for instance) and phono stages. People pay silly money for exotic cables, but only after everything else has been maxed out (you would hope), but if there is any improvement it is likely to be minute. However much are the cables are, I would add that to whatever is to be spent on a cart and the improvement in sound, providing you make a wise choice, will be very noticeable. If the cart you have is the one you have, then enjoy the music. Buy some more vinyl with the funds, because I'll bet an equal amount that if you did change the cables, you would notice precisely no change.

I don't think you can easily measure capacitance with the average multi meter. Picofarads, which is the order of value these cables exhibit are tiny. My meter for sure does not have a range that low; I'm sure if meters are available that do so, they will be prohibitively expensive, though I'm no expert.

Mike.

rlwings
Canada

Post by rlwings » 16 Jun 2019 18:47

Thanks Mike... Ya, I really don't like the idea of throwing more money toward such a well designed (and expensive) turntable. It seems a bit unnecessary. The 1200GR is designed to be a complete system with modern technology and decades of experience. Every wire, headshell, etc. carefully and purposefully selected to deliver perfect synergy and sufficiency.

I can't remember which reviews exactly suggested that a better headshell or RCA cables brought out the supposed 'muffled' sound of the 1200, but I do remember reading it. The reviewer said that it made a significant difference and should be considered... I did buy the Jelco HS-25 headshell and I could swear that I am hearing a 'clearer' presentation (male voices less chesty) better soundstage, etc... But I do admit that I don't really trust my perceptions when it comes to comparing audio. I've been fooled too many times to trust myself anymore. Differences are sometimes so subtle that coming to any sort of conclusion is often fruitless.

So what shall we do? ... I guess it's ultimately up to the individual. Spend the money and revel in placebo I guess. lol.

Randy.
Last edited by rlwings on 16 Jun 2019 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 16 Jun 2019 18:48

Woodbrains wrote:
16 Jun 2019 17:57
I don't think you can easily measure capacitance with the average multi meter. Picofarads, which is the order of value these cables exhibit are tiny. My meter for sure does not have a range that low; I'm sure if meters are available that do so, they will be prohibitively expensive, though I'm no expert.
I got one of these a few years ago for about £25:

http://www.mp-estore.com/files/MP-Scien ... DM4070.pdf

Perhaps not accurate enough for absolute measurements but good enough to compare values for similar items - cartridges, cables etc.

rlwings
Canada

Post by rlwings » 16 Jun 2019 18:59

Thanks Chiz... I'll keep that one in mind.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 16 Jun 2019 19:36

chiz wrote:
16 Jun 2019 18:48
Woodbrains wrote:
16 Jun 2019 17:57
I got one of these a few years ago for about £25:

http://www.mp-estore.com/files/MP-Scien ... DM4070.pdf

Perhaps not accurate enough for absolute measurements but good enough to compare values for similar items - cartridges, cables etc.
Hello,

That is interesting, I'll have to look one up. Thanks for the link.

Regarding upgrading cables, I read a review of the 1200 G in which the reviewer was disappointed by the performance of the stock table at first, so changed the mains lead for a 450 pounds or dollars, (I can't remember), one. This, apparently, was a night and day improvement, so decided it had potential after all....I'm sorry, but this sort of claim just befuddles me. This sort of claim is analogous to driving a sports car and being disappointed with the performance, so change the air in the tyres for nitrogen and wow! You have to take everything with a pinch of salt.

Mike.