Aurex/Toshiba SRQ-630

snap, crackle and pop
rebkohayn

Aurex/Toshiba SRQ-630

Post by rebkohayn » 14 Jun 2019 21:37

I can get one at a bargain price. It is alleged that it works perfectly, despite the fact that the little lateral weight on a short shaft near the pivot for the tonearm is missing. I can't find out how or where to get a replacement, and I can't find out how critical it is to performance because I am unable to download the manual, or, for that matter, ANY manual from VinylEngine. Yes, I have tried everything -- different browsers, re-downloading Acrobat Reader, etc. Nothing works. Same message: This feature is not available at this time.
Is there a way to jury-rig a weight on the short, lateral tonearm shaft? I would appreciate any help.

nat
long player
long player

Re: Aurex/Toshiba SRQ-630

Post by nat » 14 Jun 2019 21:52

Lateral weights are not critical to normal pivoted arms - they are to unipivots, but I assume this isn't one of those. You can find plenty of threads on whether they are helpful to balance the load on the arm bearings, or whether they are merely an added source of resonances. Even the companies that included them didn't seem too concerned about their use since most just suggested sticking it about a third of the way out on the outrigger. Some, of course, gave instructions on the actual set up, which involves lifting the left hand side of the table and moving the lateral weight until the arm is balanced.
I believe they can offer some benefit if the table isn't level, but I think they may be a solution in search of a problem. I could be wrong. Either way, cobbling something up ought to be simple if you feel you need one.

rebkohayn

Post by rebkohayn » 14 Jun 2019 22:39

Invaluable advice! Thank you!

rebkohayn

Post by rebkohayn » 15 Jun 2019 02:14

Okay, tried clearing all cookies, used three different browsers, then again tried to download Aurex Toshiba SR-Q630 owners manual: 'Sorry this feature is not available'. I give up......