Pioneer PL-115D- Tonearm help

snap, crackle and pop
TSJ

Pioneer PL-115D- Tonearm help

Post by TSJ » 14 Jun 2019 17:20

So I picked this up for $80 with a Stanton 681 EEE. It's in great shape. The cover is flawless and the block is perfect. Setting it up, I discovered that the counterweight does not thread out and does not have the "sub weight". The counterweight wiggles back and forth, but will not turn easily and I don't want to force it. It also appears slightly off line with the tonearm itself. I'm trying to set the tracking force and the only thing that turns is the black ring. I feel as though the counterweight should adjust front to back. The setup instructions are vague and I'd like to know as much as possible. Any help is appreciated...
Attachments
IMG_4674.JPG
(271.44 KiB) Downloaded 51 times

Copperhead
long player
long player

Re: Pioneer PL-115D- Tonearm help

Post by Copperhead » 14 Jun 2019 19:00

Take the weight off and have a look at the underside of the shaft it sits on, there should be a metal strip with a small plastic stud. It might need bending out to meet the weight's thread.

If the stub the weight screws on is offset it might need screwing back on, sometime the bolt itself is bent. To see the screw look down the end of the tube. The auxiliary weight is inserted when using a heavy cartridge, you might not need it at all.

TSJ

Post by TSJ » 14 Jun 2019 19:20

Thanks. So the weight has a screw? The manual does not mention this. Remove the screw and back the weight off? I'll give it a shot...

Here's my head shell, cart, and stylus. Haven't weighed it yet, but it seems to be fairly lightweight
Attachments
IMG_4661.JPG
(215.42 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
IMG_4658.JPG
(216.08 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 14 Jun 2019 20:23

No, the counterweight has no screw, just the internal thread. The screw is at the bottom of the backstub, the hollow shaft the counterweight slips on and the auxiliary weight screws into.

On the underside of the backstub there should be a bit of spring metal, this is what contacts the internal thread on the counterweight. Sometimes the design is different but it functions in the same way.

You might need a torch to see the screw that removes the backstub and a longish watchmaker screwdriver to reach it. I would remove it completely and see if it's straight.

nat
long player
long player

Post by nat » 14 Jun 2019 22:02

The counterweight itself may simply be a little stiff since sometimes they had a bit of grease on them. Turn it (the metal part) not the front bezel with the tracking force numbers. You are unlikely to need the counterweight stub, which is only useful if you are using a very heavy cartridge and/or headshell. That is an excellent cartridge, and the headshell probably matches it well enough - I suspect the previous owner knew what he or she was doing.
By torch, I assume Copperhead means a flashlight, not a blowtorch.
If the stub is sagging a bit, the decoupler may have gotten a little tired and needs to be uncompressed and then pressed completely home, then compressed again, following Copperhead's suggestion. You may not be able to pull it or, or shift it at all since often the rubber seems to adhere to the inside of the tube, and in that case, leave it alone. A slight sag won't have any effect, and tearing the decoupler will, and not a good one.
If the off line is horizontal, not vertical, it may be the original design. A counterweight doesn't have to be in line with the armtube where it enters the pivot block.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 14 Jun 2019 23:07

nat wrote:
14 Jun 2019 22:02

By torch, I assume Copperhead means a flashlight, not a blowtorch.
Thanks for clarifying, last thing I need is for someone to burn their house down. Yes, a device which uses a light bulb to create light.

cats squirrel
long player
long player
England

Post by cats squirrel » 15 Jun 2019 00:12

as a complete coincidence, I bought one and a half Pioneer PL12D tone arms, today. I can confirm copperhead's description. (Hello Victor, my friend).

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 15 Jun 2019 02:12

It strikes me that you may not have gotten the original counterweight that belong on this turntable.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 15 Jun 2019 03:40

cats squirrel wrote:
15 Jun 2019 00:12
as a complete coincidence, I bought one and a half Pioneer PL12D tone arms, today. I can confirm copperhead's description. (Hello Victor, my friend).
Hello Squirrel, nice to hear from you. Have you not stopped buying yet? What happened to the parallel tracker? Vinnie.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 15 Jun 2019 03:48

lenjack wrote:
15 Jun 2019 02:12
It strikes me that you may not have gotten the original counterweight that belong on this turntable.
I owned a PL115D years ago, I seem to remember the plastic calibrated ring to be smaller in diameter than the weight itself, bit of an odd look. The one in the photograph looks similar, but anything's possible.

Once sorted out it's a decent deck, the suspension is adjustable and the tonearm much better than the PL12D's.