New setup not sounding right

snap, crackle and pop
Lad90
Ireland

New setup not sounding right

Post by Lad90 » 13 Jun 2019 18:59

Hello,

I’m new here. Hope I posted this in the correct section. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I recently purchased the old style audiotechnica lp120. It’s my first real turntable. I purchased pioneer bookshelf speakers and a Yamaha exotics-v385 receiver. I set everything up with 16guage copper wire and banana plugs. Used line because receiver didn’t have phono.
The sound is just off. It sounds like the vocals are in and out. Even sometimes the instruments volume is just up and down. I set it all up right. Tone arm is balanced. Some songs sound normal, but majority have vocals that go from being normal to almost background vocals. Can anyone help me out please and let me know if I can do anything?
Thanks

Lad90
Ireland

Re: New setup not sounding right

Post by Lad90 » 13 Jun 2019 19:08

Quick note I have the speakers right on top of each other. Could this have anything to do with it?

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Jun 2019 19:25

You need a phono preamp to connect between the turntable and the line input of the receiver. After you do that, it will sound much better if you separate the speakers.

Lad90
Ireland

Post by Lad90 » 13 Jun 2019 20:01

I was wondering if a pre amp would do the trick since it’s currently running with the built in pre amp. Separating the speakers actually made a huge difference. Can you recommend a decent pre amp for my set up? Thanks for the help

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Jun 2019 20:21

I misled you. If you are using the turntable's built in preamp, you do NOT need a separate phono preamp. The built in preamp should be absolutely fine.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Jun 2019 20:35

One more thing. Check the phasing on the speakers.

The + terminal of the right speaker connection of the receiver should be connected to the + terminal of the right speaker, while the - terminal of the right speaker connection of the receiver should be connected to the - terminal of the right speaker.

The + terminal of the left speaker connection of the receiver should be connected to the + terminal of the left speaker, while the - terminal of the left speaker connection of the receiver should be connected to the - terminal of the left speaker.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 13 Jun 2019 20:49

lenjack wrote:
13 Jun 2019 20:21
I misled you. If you are using the turntable's built in preamp, you do NOT need a separate phono preamp. The built in preamp should be absolutely fine.
Hello,

I think you were right first time. The OP said he was using line input because the receiver hasn't got a phono.

It will definitely need a phono stage pre amp to work with your turntable. I'll let others suggest a good one, as my experience is limited to 2 a Cambridge audio 640 P and a little bear T11.

I'm happy with both, but I don't know of better in terms of budget or sound. Perhaps a project phono box would be a good budget device to get you going?

Mike.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Jun 2019 20:59

No, I still think I was wrong. That table has a built in preamp. His 3rd post says he's using it.

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 13 Jun 2019 22:33

lenjack wrote:
13 Jun 2019 20:59
No, I still think I was wrong. That table has a built in preamp. His 3rd post says he's using it.
Hello,

Ahh, then thank god the receiver didn't have a phono, he might have used it!

Mike.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 13 Jun 2019 22:38

Right. Us Liverpoolers need to get on the same page. :wink: #-o 8)

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 14 Jun 2019 13:27

lenjack wrote:
13 Jun 2019 22:38
Right. Us Liverpoolers need to get on the same page. :wink: #-o 8)
Totally off topic, but over here, someone from Liverpool is a 'Liverpudlian.' I'm assuming it is not the case in Pennsylvania!

Alternatively, we are known as 'Scousers' on account of the stew called Scouse we have as a local dish.

Mike.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 14 Jun 2019 15:03

Judging from the pictures, the built in phono preamp on the lp120 has a on and off switch. Check if the preamp is actually switched on. And just for the sake of it check if the cartridge is wired properly.

I would save my pennies for a better preamp, since those budget preamp should be on pair with the built in at lp120. But when I got into vinyl I bought the analogis easy phono and it sounded nice for the money.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 14 Jun 2019 15:42

Lad90 wrote:
13 Jun 2019 18:59
.....snippage.....
The sound is just off. It sounds like the vocals are in and out. Even sometimes the instruments volume is just up and down. I set it all up right. Tone arm is balanced. Some songs sound normal, but majority have vocals that go from being normal to almost background vocals. Can anyone help me out please and let me know if I can do anything?
Thanks
From previous posts, it appears you have it all hooked up correctly...... :-k

The wavering signal leads me to believe your preamp On / Off switch contacts are dirty. Use some contact cleaner on the switch, cycle it off and on several times and report back on sound quality.

Good luck and welcome to VE....... :)

Fred

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 14 Jun 2019 18:02

"Liverpudlian" Got it. Will remember. We could talk about local beers, except my Liverpool doesn't have any.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 14 Jun 2019 18:03

fscl wrote:
14 Jun 2019 15:42
Lad90 wrote:
13 Jun 2019 18:59
.....snippage.....
Thanks
From previous posts, it appears you have it all hooked up correctly...... :-k

The wavering signal leads me to believe your preamp On / Off switch contacts are dirty. Use some contact cleaner on the switch, cycle it off and on several times and report back on sound quality.

Good luck and welcome to VE....... :)

Fred
Good point!