New Turntable Project (nickname the beast)

snap, crackle and pop
dennislpr

New Turntable Project (nickname the beast)

Post by dennislpr » 12 Jun 2019 18:11

Hello fellow forum members, I will be showing to you all this new turntable I just built. I personally think I went a little overboard on this one, but what can I say I had a lot of fun doing it. Here is the story behind it, a couple of weeks ago a good friend of mine who is in his 80s gave me this turntable. He has been collecting since he was in his 20s, now he has one of the biggest record collection I have ever seen. Last time it was counted, about 20 years ago he had around 45 thousand records in his house. Well he gave me this turntable he bought many years ago from a garage sale. The turntable is a vintage presto pirouette t-18AH with a Lenco L70 tonearm and an early Shure M3D cartridge. But it was in very rough shape, the wood plinth had termites and was in horrible shape. The tone arm needed to be rebuilt and the turntable was working, but it need an overhaul as well. I ended up making a plinth made out of 3/4 of an inch thick granite, dimension are 18"W x 16 1/2"D x 10"H and it weights around 80 pounds. The tonearm needed new bearings, so it was completely dissembled, by the way, I modified the tonearm so I could use SME headshells. As I mentioned before the turntable was working, but quite rough, it had to be dissembled, clean, greased and adjusted for a smooth operation. The wiring was mess as well, so all of the wiring is now new. Here are some pictures of the finished turntable. One very important thing to add, https://mnpctech.com/turntable-feet-rep ... isolation/ was very kind to offer some nice custom isolation turntable feet for this project, I will be updating here how they work and if they improved the sound quality. Thank you and enjoy.
Attachments
1.JPG
(162.73 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
3.JPG
(159.79 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
6.JPG
(158.31 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
7.JPG
(135.88 KiB) Downloaded 170 times
10.JPG
(108.29 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Last edited by dennislpr on 12 Jun 2019 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

rewfew
long player
long player

Re: New Turntable Project (nickname the beast)

Post by rewfew » 12 Jun 2019 18:23

Or sub nicknamed the hernia trying to pick that sucka up. But beautiful job of restoration and plinth execution. Looks and no doubt sounds very classy.

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 12 Jun 2019 19:55

I'm loving the looks of that turntable...ahem..."The Beast"...there, dennislpr...Definitely sleek, classy and certainly one-of-a-kind! Exquisite handiwork, my friend! =D>

If I had a turntable like that, I'd be loving every minute of playing records on it! :mrgreen:

Keep us posted on your progress with her, too! Oh, and if you don't mind, Dennis, I just added a pic of that to my other gallery here! :)

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... 72#p982572

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 13 Jun 2019 17:28

Hi dennispr,

Good job! I think it is a thing of beauty.

My first "real" turntable was a Presto so I have a warm spot in my heart for them.

Phil
dennislpr wrote:
12 Jun 2019 18:11
Hello fellow forum members, I will be showing to you all this new turntable I just built. I personally think I went a little overboard on this one, but what can I say I had a lot of fun doing it. Here is the story behind it, a couple of weeks ago a good friend of mine who is in his 80s gave me this turntable. He has been collecting since he was in his 20s, now he has one of the biggest record collection I have ever seen. Last time it was counted, about 20 years ago he had around 45 thousand records in his house. Well he gave me this turntable he bought many years ago from a garage sale. The turntable is a vintage presto pirouette t-18AH with a Lenco L70 tonearm and an early Shure M3D cartridge. But it was in very rough shape, the wood plinth had termites and was in horrible shape. The tone arm needed to be rebuilt and the turntable was working, but it need an overhaul as well. I ended up making a plinth made out of 3/4 of an inch thick granite, dimension are 18"W x 16 1/2"D x 10"H and it weights around 80 pounds. The tonearm needed new bearings, so it was completely dissembled, by the way, I modified the tonearm so I could use SME headshells. As I mentioned before the turntable was working, but quite rough, it had to be dissembled, clean, greased and adjusted for a smooth operation. The wiring was mess as well, so all of the wiring is now new. Here are some pictures of the finished turntable. One very important thing to add, https://mnpctech.com/turntable-feet-rep ... isolation/ was very kind to offer some nice custom isolation turntable feet for this project, I will be updating here how they work and if they improved the sound quality. Thank you and enjoy.

dennislpr

Post by dennislpr » 14 Jun 2019 03:09

Thank you friends for all the wonderful comments. Best regards, Dennis. :D

MonsterMawd

Post by MonsterMawd » 18 Jun 2019 14:52

that is one Epic plinth!