Carbon Fiber Brush bristles across my records

snap, crackle and pop
lskid
United States of America

Carbon Fiber Brush bristles across my records

Post by lskid » 10 Jun 2019 03:03

Hello everyone,

As I mentioned in my first post weeks ago, I am pretty new playing records, and I just noticed that my carbon fiber record brush (Boundless Audio Record Cleaner Brush) leaves its bristles all across my records. I wonder if this is the reason why my records started to have crackles and pops when they sounded just fine before.

How can I get rid of these bristles that are stuck on my records? and what Carbon Fiber Record brush do you recommend me to use that doesn't have this problem?

I hope somebody can help me with this issue.

Thank you in advance.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Re: Carbon Fiber Brush bristles across my records

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 10 Jun 2019 03:14

Contact them and inform them of your problem, which has apparently occurred for others as well. The reviews online tend to indicate they will replace a faulty product, which yours definitely is. Generally good reviews for the product, but some problems related to quality control. Stop using the brush, give them a call, send it back for a replacement. Something is amiss here. #-o

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 10 Jun 2019 03:23

I use the Audioquest - no problems

https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/ ... cord-brush

I tried using a cheaper look-alike one and it shed fibers. I went back to the Audioquest.

lskid
United States of America

Post by lskid » 10 Jun 2019 03:37

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
10 Jun 2019 03:14
Contact them and inform them of your problem, which has apparently occurred for others as well. The reviews online tend to indicate they will replace a faulty product, which yours definitely is. Generally good reviews for the product, but some problems related to quality control. Stop using the brush, give them a call, send it back for a replacement. Something is amiss here. #-o
Thank you for your reply. I've had the brush for a long time, I just found out about this problem. I will stop using the brush. Which one do you use?

Do you know can I take these bristles out of my records? They are stuck there :(

lskid
United States of America

Post by lskid » 10 Jun 2019 03:48

pivot wrote:
10 Jun 2019 03:23

I tried using a cheaper look-alike one and it shed fibers. I went back to the Audioquest.
Thank you for your reply. I've been reading reviews on the Audioquest record brush, and it seems it has the same problem. How did you get rid of the bristles the cheaper brush left on your records?

Is there other alternative way to clean records before playing them?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 10 Jun 2019 04:59

Believe it or not, I use two old brushes I have had for at least 30 years, one a carbon fibre DiscWasher D4 System brush, and the other a Parastat velvet brush that has a moisture wick inside. The D4 brush is used as my normal last clean before dropping the needle, and the Parastat stick is what I use for extraction of stubborn debris in the grooves. Both of these used on previously wet cleaned albums of course. Different combinations work for different people of course, and some trial and error is often necessary. I completed my trial and error some years ago you will have noticed. But toss the offending brush! Rule #1 is to move forward, making things better. Good luck on your quest! :)

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 10 Jun 2019 15:14

A carbon fiber brush is good enough, some also have velvet on one side. I have never heard that a brush would leave fibers on the record, best way as already said is to contact the manufacturer. A brush should clean not damage your records. Also dont put too much force when using the brush. 2g of force should be enough to remove anything that is stuck in the vinyl grooves.

abs1
United States of America

Post by abs1 » 10 Jun 2019 16:19

I have been using the Hunt E.D.A. Mark 6 carbon fiber brush for years without any problems. Very well manufactured, it does the job without screwing anything up. :)
When it eventually wears out I won't hesitate to replace it with a new one.

Cheers,
Al

pivot
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by pivot » 10 Jun 2019 19:05

lskid wrote:
10 Jun 2019 03:48
pivot wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I've been reading reviews on the Audioquest record brush, and it seems it has the same problem. How did you get rid of the bristles the cheaper brush left on your records?

My experience with AQ brushes is no shed.

A properly working brush gets the bristles off that the cheap one shed.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 10 Jun 2019 19:31

pivot wrote:
10 Jun 2019 19:05
lskid wrote:
pivot wrote:

I've been using an Audioquest brush myself for the past five years or so. It performs as intended with no bristle shedding. 8)

lskid
United States of America

Post by lskid » 11 Jun 2019 01:03

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
10 Jun 2019 04:59
Believe it or not, I use two old brushes I have had for at least 30 years, one a carbon fibre DiscWasher D4 System brush, and the other a Parastat velvet brush that has a moisture wick inside. The D4 brush is used as my normal last clean before dropping the needle, and the Parastat stick is what I use for extraction of stubborn debris in the grooves. Both of these used on previously wet cleaned albums of course. Different combinations work for different people of course, and some trial and error is often necessary. I completed my trial and error some years ago you will have noticed. But toss the offending brush! Rule #1 is to move forward, making things better. Good luck on your quest! :)
For a new one like me it was kind of disappointing and exhausting to find out about this. But I will move on as you say and find a way to make things better. Thanks.

Solist wrote:
10 Jun 2019 15:14
A carbon fiber brush is good enough, some also have velvet on one side. I have never heard that a brush would leave fibers on the record, best way as already said is to contact the manufacturer. A brush should clean not damage your records. Also dont put too much force when using the brush. 2g of force should be enough to remove anything that is stuck in the vinyl grooves.
Thank for you reply. What brush do you use?

abs1 wrote:
10 Jun 2019 16:19
I have been using the Hunt E.D.A. Mark 6 carbon fiber brush for years without any problems. Very well manufactured, it does the job without screwing anything up. :)
When it eventually wears out I won't hesitate to replace it with a new one.

Cheers,
Al
I never heard about that one. I will take a look at it. Thanks.

pivot wrote:
lskid wrote:
pivot wrote:

That sounds great. I just checked Audioquest has a new version. Have you tried this one or heard something about it? https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/ ... cord-brush
Roberto C2H3 wrote:
10 Jun 2019 19:31
pivot wrote:
lskid wrote:

I've been using an Audioquest brush myself for the past five years or so. It performs as intended with no bristle shedding. 8)
Thank you for sharing that. Have you tried this one or heard something about it? https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/ ... cord-brush

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 11 Jun 2019 07:45

I have been using the gold plated audio quest brush for over a year now. If it does shed, I've never noticed it. It does the trick for me as far as removing static electricity from the record and puts it into me via the gold plated handle (but I don't crackle as badly as my records do :) ) .

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 11 Jun 2019 18:00

lskid wrote:
11 Jun 2019 01:03

Thank you for sharing that. Have you tried this one or heard something about it? https://www.audioquest.com/accessories/ ... cord-brush
[/quote]

Nope, I have not used nor heard anything about this one, although I must say it looks way cool 8)

The one I have is there "original" AQ carbon brush depicted as the last item in the product list.

Best from the Pampas,
roberto

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 12 Jun 2019 07:49

I recommend to try the brush from Simply Analogue. It's gentler to the records than carbon fibre brushes.
https://www.simplyanalog.eu/record-brush.php

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 14 Jun 2019 06:10

Carbon fiber will leave minute scratches on your records, too.

Doug