Old Pioneer PL 800

snap, crackle and pop
20ducks

Old Pioneer PL 800

Post by 20ducks » 01 Jun 2019 11:43

I am an occasional listener to my record collection. Recently, I have been buying the new 180 gram remastered vinyl. However, something new and annoying is going on with my turntable. I am not sure if it is the turntable or the stylus. What is happening is the stylus backward skips on any vinyl I play, old or new. I recalibrated the stylus weight pressure to make sure downward pressure is neither too high or too low. Same problem. I know of no way of adjusting anything else on this turntable/stylus etc. It has a Stanton 681EEE and stylus was replaced only a few years ago with minimal usage.
I don't want to invest in a new cartridge if the turntable arm has shot craps. After all, this is a very old unit.

Should I be looking for a new turntable? Or....?

Thanks in advance.

MostlyHarmless

Re: Old Pioneer PL 800

Post by MostlyHarmless » 01 Jun 2019 12:20

Is this the table?

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pio ... l800.shtml

If so, have you downloaded the service manual available here? A thorough cleaning, etc. is probably in order.

Good luck.

20ducks

Post by 20ducks » 03 Jun 2019 07:06

Yes it is. I have the Operation manual. I looked over the service manual and it has words, terms and explanations that are way beyond my paygrade. My temptation is to replace the cartridge completely since it is old, the stylus is not new either. Is it worth the trouble or should I just junk this turntable and get something? I don't want to go over $250, btw.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 03 Jun 2019 17:20

Does it jump backwards at the same arm position every time? If so, I'd suspect something is impinging the arms movement. A peak inside may give an idea of what it might be. Perhaps it's grease that's hardened up.

I wouldn't replace the cartridge as the solution to the problem you're describing. For one thing, it's a really good cartridge and I don't think it would fix the issue.

Troubleshoot to determine what's going on before you throw the baby out with the bathwater.

nowinter

Post by nowinter » 17 Jun 2019 06:41

FYI, I found a Realistic Lab2200 tangential turntable at a thrift store that was doing the same thing. When I opened up the area by the track that the arm rides along I found the 45 adapter blocking the track thus the arm would only move to the same spot and then skip. Where the arm rides is open so just about anything could have fallen into that area too.

Beobloke
Great Britain

Post by Beobloke » 17 Jun 2019 13:02

20ducks wrote:
03 Jun 2019 07:06
Yes it is. I have the Operation manual. I looked over the service manual and it has words, terms and explanations that are way beyond my paygrade. My temptation is to replace the cartridge completely since it is old, the stylus is not new either. Is it worth the trouble or should I just junk this turntable and get something? I don't want to go over $250, btw.
Please don't junk it - it's a lovely deck and can perform well. It sounds like it needs a service and you should find someone who can do this for you. A new cartridge would be a waste of money until you can confirm it is working properly.