ELAC 50H - Motor not powering up

snap, crackle and pop
stanleyf61

ELAC 50H - Motor not powering up

Post by stanleyf61 » 27 May 2019 01:49

Hi,

Trying to determine why the turntable will not power up the motor? I have confirmed that 120v is being received to the main terminal block. I pressed the button on the top of the ignition switch, while pressing one of the start buttons, as well as moving the tonearm toward the platter.

Thanks, Stan
Attachments
IMG_9759.JPG
power out of block
(73.72 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
IMG_9760.JPG
power in to block
(71.91 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
IMG_9761.JPG
ignition switch
(80.05 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Re: ELAC 50H - Motor not powering up

Post by Coffee Phil » 27 May 2019 06:46

stanleyf61 wrote:
27 May 2019 01:49
Hi Stanly,

Here is a link to the manual: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/ela ... -50h.shtml

Sadly there is no schematic but only a marginal pictorial wiring diagram.

Your motor looks to be a three phase delta connected motor. There are three leads. If all is well you should be able to measure about the same voltage beteen any two of them. Also if you disconnect the three leads you should be able to measure ~ the same resistance between any two of the leads.

There is a phase shift capacitor. The resistance steady state should be > 100 megohms, but you should see a response as you connect the ohmeter to it and when you reverse the leads of the meter. Discharge the cap before you do this test.

Phil

Trying to determine why the turntable will not power up the motor? I have confirmed that 120v is being received to the main terminal block. I pressed the button on the top of the ignition switch, while pressing one of the start buttons, as well as moving the tonearm toward the platter.

Thanks, Stan

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 27 May 2019 06:47

stanleyf61 wrote:
27 May 2019 01:49
Hi Stanly,

Here is a link to the manual: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/ela ... -50h.shtml

Sadly there is no schematic but only a marginal pictorial wiring diagram.

Your motor looks to be a three phase delta connected motor. There are three leads. If all is well you should be able to measure about the same voltage beteen any two of them. Also if you disconnect the three leads you should be able to measure ~ the same resistance between any two of the leads.

There is a phase shift capacitor. The resistance steady state should be > 100 megohms, but you should see a response as you connect the ohmeter to it and when you reverse the leads of the meter. Discharge the cap before you do this test.

Phil

Thanks, Stan

stanleyf61

Post by stanleyf61 » 27 May 2019 16:33

Hi Phil,

This was very helpful! I had seen the diagram and wished for the schematic! So was glad to have the testing info you provided!

Great news is that I did find the problem! Since all the leads are hard to get to without disassembling and I am not as familiar with this model, I thought about what I might could do just to get it going. I did not see any obvious issues like leaking caps or hot areas. So I decided to spray some dexoit in the access hole on the bottom of the ignition switch. And that totally solved the problem! Sometimes you just catch a break!

I have to put a cart and stylus on next. Then plan to do some basic mechanical and sound tests and the plan to fully clean and refurbish.

Thanks! Stan