Problematic JVC JL-A15

snap, crackle and pop
Keinar
Denmark

Problematic JVC JL-A15

Post by Keinar » 26 May 2019 21:27

Hi all!

As the title says, I recently purchased a JVC JL-A15 second-hand for about 200 DKK (~24 GBP). Turning it on for the first time, the motor worked flawlessly (and the silence surprised me). So far, so good. I fixed the spindle not spinning (thus fixing the return not working at all), but soon realized that something looked very "off".

When returning the tonearm, it doesn't go all the way (it touches down on the extreme edge of the arm rest), and the motor doesn't turn off after returning. I've read around here that that can be fixed via a screw near the tonearm, though, so I'll be trying that as soon as I have access to it again (it is currently at a friend's place, as I sadly do not have space to listen to vinyl at home).

As I looked at it (both the post and physically), I realized that the pickup wasn't the standard for the TT. It is a SME/Ortofon mount, and missing a stylus. I have no idea what version it is. Should I buy a new stylus and hope for the best, or should I change to a standard ½' headshell & cartridge?

My last problem is a bit of a "what the-" deal, that I hadn't noticed in the pictures or while I was picking it up, and only realized once I had begun fixing it up; the counterweight isn't the original one (from what I could gather from pictures online). It is simply a large metal donut with a nylon screw going through it (and holding itself on the tonearm via pressure. I am still dumbfounded by it, and I have absolutely no idea on how to use it correctly, or how I'd go about finding a replacement, if you can even mount third-party weights that actually use dials, instead of... that thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated, and I do apologize if I've put this in the wrong part of the forum.

NewOldVinyl

Re: Problematic JVC JL-A15

Post by NewOldVinyl » 26 May 2019 21:52

The type of counterweight you describe is common to Rega tonearms. Possibly others. You set the tracking force by moving the counterweight toward or away from the headshell until you achieve the desired value. You need a tracking force gauge to do this. You can't do it like other arms where you find the zero point, set the dial to 0, and then rotate the counterweight to the desired value on the marked scale. It's a bit of a trial and error process with the counterweight you have.

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 27 May 2019 00:43

Hi Keinar, newoldvinyl is correct about the counter weight you described in your post. That type of counter weight is most often used when the original counter weight is not heavy enough and the tracking force that the user wants can't be achieved. For us to give you answer about the stylus up load a couple of pictures of that SME/ortofon mount and hopefully we can guild you to a new stylus or a new head shell and cartridge. The return issue with the tone arm is a very common one on JVC turntables. JVC used a small piece of foam on the return lever for the tonearm in the mechanism. This foam disintegrates over time and it can also turn to goo. With out this foam the tonearm will just miss the rest stand or sometimes because of the goo the tonearm will be pulled off the rest stand back onto the record. Use the custom google search engine on this site and google JVC tonearm return issue. A bunch of old posts will come up some with pictures to explain where the new foam goes. And please clean the lever and replace the old foam piece with new stuff. Don't just wrap tape around the old foam and call it good. The foam is very important for a soft tonearm return. Once you have the bottom off of the turntable to replace the foam check the micro switch in the mechanism. The micro switch is used to turn the platter on and off. The small plunger on the micro switch could be stuck or the micro switch itself could be bad. Again if you need any help in that area just let us know. I hope this helps.

Keinar
Denmark

Post by Keinar » 27 May 2019 20:57

musicmn wrote:
27 May 2019 00:43
Hi Keinar, newoldvinyl is correct about the counter weight you described in your post. That type of counter weight is most often used when the original counter weight is not heavy enough and the tracking force that the user wants can't be achieved. For us to give you answer about the stylus up load a couple of pictures of that SME/ortofon mount and hopefully we can guild you to a new stylus or a new head shell and cartridge. The return issue with the tone arm is a very common one on JVC turntables. JVC used a small piece of foam on the return lever for the tonearm in the mechanism. This foam disintegrates over time and it can also turn to goo. With out this foam the tonearm will just miss the rest stand or sometimes because of the goo the tonearm will be pulled off the rest stand back onto the record. Use the custom google search engine on this site and google JVC tonearm return issue. A bunch of old posts will come up some with pictures to explain where the new foam goes. And please clean the lever and replace the old foam piece with new stuff. Don't just wrap tape around the old foam and call it good. The foam is very important for a soft tonearm return. Once you have the bottom off of the turntable to replace the foam check the micro switch in the mechanism. The micro switch is used to turn the platter on and off. The small plunger on the micro switch could be stuck or the micro switch itself could be bad. Again if you need any help in that area just let us know. I hope this helps.
Hi! yeah, I looked the counterweight up after reading you two's posts and realized that!
I've attached two pictures of the mount (both of the connectors and a sideshot with the names), and a picture of what I think is the foam bit you talked about?
I've also noticed that, when the tonearm returns, either automatically, by pressing the button, or moving it manually, the microswitch isn't pressed down by the white arm that should be pressing it down. The black slide that pushes that arm isn't fully moving back.
Attachments
IMG_2081.JPG
(151.62 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
IMG_2080.JPG
(151.72 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
IMG_2082.JPG
(157.29 KiB) Downloaded 25 times

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 28 May 2019 00:37

Hi Keinar, the pic of the lever with the black foam in it is where a small piece of new foam is placed. Don't remove the black foam just place a new 1/8" or 3/16" thick piece on top if it ( see picture) and the tonearm will return all the way to the rest stand. If you see any of the old foam stuck to the return lever (again see bottom pic) wipe that off with a rag dipped in alcohol. As far as the lever that activates the micro switch you might have to remove that lever and clean off all old grease. Then lightly grease that levers pivot point as you assemble it. A good quality lithium grease will be fine. You can also clean off any other old grease you see and lubricate it with fresh grease. Hopefully this will get the mechanism working correctly again. Now as far as that cartridge is concerned you can either keep it and just replace the stylus and set the tracking force for what ever that cart needs. But you will need either a mechanical tracking force gauge or a digital tracking force gauge to get it correct. Or you can try to find and original JVC counter weight that fits that tonearm stub. Then buy a new SME type 1/2" head shell and a new cartridge. The way to go is totally up to you. I hope this helps.
Attachments
JVC L-A10 turntable 002 (Copy).JPG
Old foam
(160.96 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
JVC L-A10 turntable 008 (Copy).JPG
new foam
(158.44 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
JVC L-A10 turntable 004 (Copy).JPG
old foam that turned to goo and needs to be cleaned off.
(151.91 KiB) Downloaded 24 times