Old TT Servicving / Repair Assistance

snap, crackle and pop
Smack2k
United States of America

Old TT Servicving / Repair Assistance

Post by Smack2k » 26 May 2019 09:43

Have an old Sony PS-T3 Turntable that was pulled out of storage I am hoping to get working, but in need of some assistance and I dont know the inner workings of turntables that well, but willing to learn / find a way to fix it.

The Turntable is a Direct Drive Turntable but has the following issues:.

When you plug the TT in, the platter immediately starts spinning. Moving the Switch from Start / Stop to Repeat does nothing and the platter continues to spin with the tone arm doing nothing, not moving over to the platter / record.

The speed dial seems fine as it spins for 33 or 45 records and the pitch dials seems to work without issue. Nothing is gummed up or stuck. I just dont know much about what I am looking at underneath or where to start!

What kind of things could I do to try and service / repair this unit? I'd like to get it working as it was my father's TT and I want to get it working again. I used it some 25 years ago in my teens and it worked well then, so hoping I can do some things to fix it...

Appreciate any assistance.....

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Re: Old TT Servicving / Repair Assistance

Post by Legrace » 26 May 2019 12:28

I have a similar story, slightly different model Sony. On taking it out of storage arm return no longer worked, speed wouldn't stay locked, and the strobe was glitchy. Fortunately your issues sound less extensive. Note I had never attempted a repair before, so understand how daunting it can feel on first examining the inner workings.

The loss of arm movement turned out was due to dried out lubricant syndrome. This condition commonly afflicts a lot of older tables. Looking at the collection of gears and trip pawls and slides I'm wondering how to proceed, as I really didn't want to take all that apart. Being a lazy sort I just poured isopropyl alcohol over the sliding surfaces and hand cycled the assembly back and forth several times. This dissolved the old lubricant. Then I sprayed on fresh lubricant and again hand worked the assembly back and forth. After which was moving freely again and normal arm movement is restored. When you say nothing is gummed up or stuck, how can you be absolutely sure?

Speed issue was due to oxidation. Spraying the speed adjustment pot and dirty contacts on speed selector switch fixed this. Again a fairly common issue. Even though yours is working fine when you're in there never hurts to spray clean any pots as a preventative measure.

The strobe issue was due to a failed capacitor. It was leaking. For good measure replaced all of the electrolytic caps as the rest no doubt were on their last legs given they have a finite lifetime. I had never recapped anything before but after reading up on it and with new soldering iron in hand off I went. Went well, outside of burning myself once. Recommended procedure for all older DD's.

All of the above are common faults in old tables. Good luck getting yours sorted.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 26 May 2019 13:00

You might find something useful here:
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/Sony/ps-t3.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

Smack2k
United States of America

Post by Smack2k » 26 May 2019 13:45

Legrace wrote:
26 May 2019 12:28
I have a similar story, slightly different model Sony. On taking it out of storage arm return no longer worked, speed wouldn't stay locked, and the strobe was glitchy. Fortunately your issues sound less extensive. Note I had never attempted a repair before, so understand how daunting it can feel on first examining the inner workings.

The loss of arm movement turned out was due to dried out lubricant syndrome. This condition commonly afflicts a lot of older tables. Looking at the collection of gears and trip pawls and slides I'm wondering how to proceed, as I really didn't want to take all that apart. Being a lazy sort I just poured isopropyl alcohol over the sliding surfaces and hand cycled the assembly back and forth several times. This dissolved the old lubricant. Then I sprayed on fresh lubricant and again hand worked the assembly back and forth. After which was moving freely again and normal arm movement is restored. When you say nothing is gummed up or stuck, how can you be absolutely sure?

Speed issue was due to oxidation. Spraying the speed adjustment pot and dirty contacts on speed selector switch fixed this. Again a fairly common issue. Even though yours is working fine when you're in there never hurts to spray clean any pots as a preventative measure.

The strobe issue was due to a failed capacitor. It was leaking. For good measure replaced all of the electrolytic caps as the rest no doubt were on their last legs given they have a finite lifetime. I had never recapped anything before but after reading up on it and with new soldering iron in hand off I went. Went well, outside of burning myself once. Recommended procedure for all older DD's.

All of the above are common faults in old tables. Good luck getting yours sorted.
I can move all the gears underneath if I move them by hand, but I dont know easily they should move....I am going to try the isopropyl (90% or better) clean and then relubricate things and see how it goes...

But it seems for me (again, I could be way off) that the issue has to do with the switch at the front as the platter spins on power on and switching it back and forth does nothing, almost like something is stuck (like you said) but I cant seem to find anything....

Going to take a shot at it!

Thank you for the web link as well...going to give that a read!

Legrace
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Legrace » 26 May 2019 14:03

I could move the gears on mine by hand as well. So the assembly wasn't seized by any means but I wondered if it needed to be able to move more freely. And apparently that was the case.

Of course if the mechanism is not getting a signal due to a gummed up switch that could also be the prime cause. Like I said when I took apart the speed select switch the contacts were black with oxidation. Again pretty common.

Having service manual handy is a must!

Smack2k
United States of America

Post by Smack2k » 27 May 2019 02:17

I think I need the service manual....I have no idea what is going on underneath this thing....what is supposed to push what when engaged / etc....the circuit manual is of no help as I am not good at reading schematics......

Smack2k
United States of America

Post by Smack2k » 11 Jul 2019 22:45

Hey all,

So over the last 7 or so weeks and messing with my PS-T3, I have it nearly working....one issue remains....again, excuse my misuse of terminology

The turntable starts as it should now by sliding over to start. The platter spins, and the tonearm picks up and moves over toward the record, but doesnt get all the way there, its a few cm short it seems of hitting the record. On top of that the metal "pole" with a black curved plastic piece on top of it that raises the tonearm up and down when you move the lever up and down doesnt seem to be going far enough down for the stylus / needle to hit the record...

Any idea of what I can do here?