Music Hall 5.1SE

snap, crackle and pop
wgmontgomery
United States of America

Music Hall 5.1SE

Post by wgmontgomery » 25 May 2019 16:42

My Music Hall 5.1SE arrived a couple of days ago, and I got it connected yesterday. So far I am seriously underwhelmed. It may be the cartridge (Goldring 2400) but there is almost NO bass. I mean it's really lacking...especially compared to the t-table (Thorens 105 with Shure V15III cartridge) it replaced.

I put on DSOTM (new reissue) and the heartbeat could be heard, but that's about it. On my old rig, it felt like the room was moving. Highs seem a little recessed too.

If it possible that this could be caused by a worn stylus?

The person from whom I bought the table said that he wasn't going to guarantee the cartridge (& also stylus by default) as he didn't know how much use it'd seen. I don't have a microscope to inspect it.

The cartridge is a moving iron cartridge, so perhaps I need more gain? I will say that the sound stage is incredibly open compared to the Shure...very clear and open. I have tracking force set to 1.68 or so per a digital scale, and Music Hall recommends 1.75. I wouldn't think that .07 grams would make a huge difference, but I will try it closer to 1.75.

I'd appreciate any input/thoughts...thanks

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Re: Music Hall 5.1SE

Post by wgmontgomery » 25 May 2019 17:50

Update: I changed tracking force to 1.76g & put the stock felt pad on instead of a cork/rubber mat. Treble got a lot better, and bass improved a little. I plan on putting some new tubes in my phono preamp to rule out dying tubes as Iwas using a pair of vintage tubes.

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 25 May 2019 19:11

Update 2...switched out tubes for newer pair and got A LOT more gain. I also noticed that one of my subs was disconnected (DOH!) so fixed the problem of no bass!

Listening to reissue of Meddle and the only negative thing that I notice is sibalance on the upper (cymbals etc.) treble. Could be a digital artifact (reissues were taken from digital files...kind of defeats the purpose IMO) or a worn stylus??
Thanks

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 26 May 2019 20:50

That is a nice and very able table. Check to see if the tonearm bearings aren’t loose. That conical tonearm tends to build up resonant energy at the gimbal points, which translates to excessive chattering and sibilance if the bearings are loose.

And as you pointed out, the stylus could be at fault. Either being misaligned and/or worn.

Cheers,
Luis

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 27 May 2019 00:07

I reset the tracking force closer to 1.75g (1.76g actual) recommended by Music Hall & reconnected one of the subs that came disconnected...that helped the bass a great deal.

I also turned off the treble boost on the phono preamp AND put in a new set of tubes. All of this helped a great deal. I think that most of what I am hearing now is just the difference in cartridges; I had a Shure V15 iii on the Thorens while the Music Hall has a Goldring 2400.

I will check the bearings though; I assume that the tonearm will be loose where it meets the table?

Thanks

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Post by raphaelmabo » 27 May 2019 06:57

My experience from the Goldring 2200 was that the bass was hard hitting, dynamic and fast, perhaps not the deepest but strong, and treble was a bit forceful. The cartridge has 6.5 mV out so it gives more than many others. I believe Shure V15 has 3.5 mV out.

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 27 May 2019 16:44

Thanks.

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 28 May 2019 20:22

I made a few changes in the setup; tracking force increased to 1.76g (Music Hall recommends 1.75g), put new tubes in my phono preamp (plenty of gain now) and turned treble boost OFF on the phono pre. These made a huge difference.

I want to swap the felt mat with my cork/rubber mat, but it's 3mm thick. I'm afraid that it will throw off the VTA.

I don't have ANYTHING to setup a turntable's VTA (or anything else for that matter) and wonder if I should buy a setup disc? MFSL has one as does Analogue Productions, but I have no ides which is better? I did a search here but found little in the way of comparing various setup discs. If I upgrade to the acrylic platter then neither mats will be used.

I read the manual and wonder if it needs some oil for the spindl. It may have lost a little in shipping. Does anyone know how to check if it has enough oil? I have some Walmart synthetic; it's not Mobile 1 (manual reccomends Mobil 1 or similar...any oil eith Teflon) but should be ok for this.

I really appreciate all of the help that I have received here! Thank you

Luicas
Mexico

Post by Luicas » 30 May 2019 00:48

a drop of synthetic motor oil will be just fine. preferably something light, like 5w30.

You can also find Technics Spindle Oil online. It's not expensive at all.

First, I'd clean the spindle shaft and the brass sleeve with a microfiber cloth. Then I'd apply a drop or two of oil, and that's it.

wgmontgomery
United States of America

Post by wgmontgomery » 30 May 2019 11:03

Thanks