Do any modern(70's) turntables fit in magnavox cabinets

snap, crackle and pop
scrapjack+

Do any modern(70's) turntables fit in magnavox cabinets

Post by scrapjack+ » 23 May 2019 00:39

I would like to place a modern (1970-1989) nonidler drive turntable in a Magnavox Astro Sonic record cabinet, but I don't know if any were made small enough. The dimensions of the sunken player shelf are 14.5 inches (36.8cm) deep, 15 inches (38.1cm) wide, and 5.5 inches (13.97cm) tall. All tree tables I have are about the same size, much too wide. Since my tables from 3 different model lines and two brands are about the same size, I assume this is more or less a standard shared with most tables. Are there any brands or model lines that tended to be narrower?

Backstory, if interested.
I was asked to make a Magnavox Astro Sonic cabinet record player play records again. I looked at the installed Magnavox Micromatic table and found clips are broken, the gearing was dislocated, and once reinstalled it disengaged after 1 turn and won't re-engage, the stylus was broken in half, and the motor was burnt. The burnt motor had a long shaft with a machine pressed spindle, so even if a modern motor was found, I don't have a press to mount the old spindle on it. I couldn't find any sellers parting out this version of the micromatic, and "untested" units were $70. They wanted the job done as cheap as possible, and $70 for something that may be as broken as what they had was too much to ask. I told them if patient I might find a newer model table for $40-50 and lay it over the hole and wire it up with the existing cables. I showed them the pricing of non-crosley new turntables and they agreed that this was a realistic solution for them within their budget. I thought about selling them one of my Numark tables for $10 but found it was too wide, I then measured the two other tables I had on hand, a Technics and another Numark, and all three were close to the same dimensions. I think a crosley is the only modern table small enough to fit, and well within budget, but I'd rather stain and polish some hard wood and just cover the hole. They want the turntable fixed as a curiosity, they only ever use the radio. Most of the record storage is binders instead of records.

KentT
long player
long player

Re: Do any modern(70's) turntables fit in magnavox cabinets

Post by KentT » 23 May 2019 02:01

Get another MIcromatic. Simpler to work on than most other changers once you know how. Technics nor Numark will fit it. And you'd need to install a preamp to use magnetic cartridges. The Crosleys which will fit this are junk, the Magnavox is not junk for it's genre, one of the better in their class.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 23 May 2019 02:24

KentT wrote:
23 May 2019 02:01
Get another MIcromatic. Simpler to work on than most other changers once you know how. Technics nor Numark will fit it. And you'd need to install a preamp to use magnetic cartridges. The Crosleys which will fit this are junk, the Magnavox is not junk for it's genre, one of the better in their class.
As I said, I have no intention of getting them a crosley, simply pointed out that that is the only brand I've seen that would fit. I have several ceramic cartridges mounted in universal head shells.

I can't find any being sold as working, they are either broken, or untested. They don't want to spend the $70 on a untested, probably defective Micromatic. If I could find one that was tested defective but had the parts I needed functional, I might get that, if they'd pay for it. The original plan was to just buy the motor and needle, but no one is parting out. Untested is a gamble they won't pay for, after all they don't need two tables with burnt motors.

Sounds like you know something about these. There are two different types of Micromatics with a few model numbers each. Do you know if they have the same footprint, and wiring. The version I don't have seems to be more common. I know the motor is different, but as long as the output/input wiring is the same, or compatible and it fits the existing hole, it's an option. I can always move the connectors from this table to a new one, if it has the same wire scheme.

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 23 May 2019 11:26

Why does it have to be a non-idler? If you can fit something like a Garrard Autoslim variant in there, that would probably be a good and not too expensive solution. If, as you say, they aren't really interested in playing records anyway, the quality and drive type of the turntable (rumble level etc.) won't really be much of an issue.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 23 May 2019 13:28

The last thing I would want to do is put a turntable in the same box as the speakers. But if you just want to look it good, then buy a Dual 1019 and replace the original wood panel, with a diy variant with holes drilled for that specific turntable. You will find the mounting template in the library.

vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 May 2019 15:55

If you couldn't find a Micromatic, a 1019 would be a good choice with a few modifications, as mentioned above...Many of them were made and you might even be able to salvage one from another console or buy one without a plinth online...They may not care about quality, but at least you could sleep at night knowing that more records won't be ruined for generations to come on a substandard player... :-k

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 25 May 2019 04:29

Idler wheels can be hard to find replacements for, and they do eventually need to be replaced. We know a retired machinist, if it were a belt dive player, I could buy any motor and ask him to make the appropriate pulley, as the alignment doesn't have to be precise, there just has to be enough tension. Stand alone tables are often parted out and so are much easier to find individual replacement parts for. Someone else repaired this table once before, it will probably be in need of repair again. If the next time only one part has to be ordered instead of a whole table that would be good for everyone involved.

The last paragraph was a reply I wrote in regards to the dual 1019 suggestion before checking the prices. It looks like Dual 1019's sell for over $100. For that price I don't think I can talk them into it. Although, individual parts would be available. They want it repaired, but they don't really want to spend any money on it.

As for cutting a new plate for a Dual 1019, for one, I'm working for a local nonproffit, and so I'm not being paid for my time on this, only parts as usual. Also, even if the cabinet was made in such a way that it was easy to remove the turntable platform and replace it, I am terrible with wood work, and do not have a scroll saw. Metal is easy, but with wood, I can't cut a strait line to save my life, no mater how I rig the guides and clamps. I'm not satisfied with the quality of most of the wooden objects I've built for myself, I wouldn't expect them to be satisfied either. The only carpenter I knew moved away, and probably wouldn't have worked for free. I'd like to leave it in such a way that it could be restored to stock if someone cared and was willing to fork over the money. Maybe I can find someone skilled enough to make a plate to sit on risers over the original platform.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 25 May 2019 04:54

The models for sale seem to change allot for these. Judging by the tone arms, and the shape of the stacking 45 adapter, there are at least 4 different styles cosmetically for magnavox micromatics. There are at least two types of motor mountings, some have the boxy tone arm some have slim, some have proprietary audio jacks some have rca, some have round 45 stacking adapters some have rectangular.

Can someone tell me if all the Micromatics have the same footprint?
It looks like they all use the same mechanical switch and 3 wire motor scheme, even if the motors aren't physically interchangeable.