Luxman vs Thorens

snap, crackle and pop
Michael626

Luxman vs Thorens

Post by Michael626 » 20 May 2019 21:30

Hi, been perusing various sale sites and found these two turntables similarly priced. First is a Luxman PD264, other is a Thorens TD146. Neither is new, of course, but I like both of them and what information I found was favorable to both. Any tips, pros, cons, comments on either of them? I can afford one, but not both. I am leaning towards the Luxman, only because I have a Luxman pre-amp and an amp and they are very nice and clean sounding with more power than I need. But I also read lots of positive comments on Thorens, really a step up over my Duals or my old ARs. I could forget about both of them and save some money, but my tax refund, not large, just hit my bank account.
Thanks
Michael

raphaelmabo
long player
long player
Sweden

Re: Luxman vs Thorens

Post by raphaelmabo » 21 May 2019 08:49

Oh, they are very different turntables. :) The TD146 is a semi-automatic version of the classic and well respected mid-price TD166, a belt drive turntable with suspended sub-chassi from the 1970's. The PD264 is a semi-automatic direct drive from the 1980's. I think you will be happy with either of them, but the Luxman seems to be more rare on the 2nd hand market. I believe it was more expensive when new. The TD146 requires a belt change from time to time, not needed with the direct drive Luxman. I believe it is easier to find parts to the Thorens if it would be in need of service, Thorens was a larger turntable brand back in the 70's and 80's. But since you already have Luxman amplification, then a Luxman turntable would really be a nice addition for you. :)

johnnywalker

Re: Luxman vs Thorens

Post by johnnywalker » 21 May 2019 12:18

Back in the '80s I had a PD264. I found it to be a good TT, with some weaknesses. One, the little post with the trip-wire to make it semi-automatic stopped working correctly very soon after I bought it, but that was not a big problem for me - I just kept on using it as a fully manual TT. But second, it has zero vibration resistance. There is no suspension, so you have to come up with something to provide isolation from vibration. And third, changing of cartridges was a pain for a klutz like me (no removable headshell), and I managed to break a clip off the tonearm wire. Other than that, it was quite good.