Dealing with idiots.

snap, crackle and pop
chgc

Re: Dealing with idiots.

Post by chgc » 23 May 2019 03:26

I got an XDR-F1HD yesterday. Initial impression: best tuner I’ve ever used. But it does get hot.

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 23 May 2019 04:43

chgc wrote:
23 May 2019 03:26
I got an XDR-F1HD yesterday. Initial impression: best tuner I’ve ever used. But it does get hot.
Heat is what kills them. Keep it as cool as possible. Don’t put it on top of anything that generates heat, and especially don’t block the vents on top. The XDR’s case can barely adequately shed the heat load even under ideal conditions.

For $120 I beef up the power supply, upgrade critical-path capacitors, add a quiet cooling fan, realign the FM section for best sensitivity, and mod the audio preamp to reduce distortion, improve s/n ratio, increase headroom, and flatten the frequency response.

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 23 May 2019 12:32

For $120 I beef up the power supply, upgrade critical-path capacitors, add a quiet cooling fan, realign the FM section for best sensitivity, and mod the audio preamp to reduce distortion, improve s/n ratio, increase headroom, and flatten the frequency response.
I wish I had the knowledge and talent to do things like this. I am so envious. =D>

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 23 May 2019 20:18

Speaking of (from another perspective)...

I received a turntable today that was shipped to me. I knew there were going to be issues when I opened the box to see the turntable sitting on it's side diagonally in the box. On a hunch (and the rattling), I cut the bubble wrap off with scissors and lifted the dust cover to find that everything (EvErYtHiNg!!) was loose under the dust cover. The platter, the mat, the counterweight, the headshell with cartridge and the 45 adapter were all in one corner. The tone arm was the only thing holding the platter in place. The dust cover was cracked in one corner and large pieces were broken off on the other side.

What a bunch of dimwits! My 10-year old grandson could do better!

...smh...

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 23 May 2019 21:04

Sorry that happened to you! Your story reminds me of something that happened to a friend of mine:

He bought a vintage turntable on eBay several months ago. The seller took the turntable to a FedEx Office store and paid them a small fortune (the cost of which was passed along to my friend, of course) to "professionally" pack the turntable. When it arrived at my friend's house, it was severely damaged. The FedEx "pros" did a terrible job and failed to take any of the usual/customary precautions such as removing the platter, bubble wrapping the dust cover, immobilizing the tonearm, etc.

In my experience, it takes anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes to properly pack a turntable. (A few months ago I shipped a heavy old Dual idler drive TT to a VinylEngine member and it took me over an hour to pack it.) The workers at FedEx Office stores, who are probably paid minimum wage or slightly more than minimum wage, are — I suspect — too busy and spread too thin to devote that much time to a single customer order, and I'd be shocked if they are given any training beyond how to operate the cash register.

The moral of my friend's story: if a seller says they will have the turntable "professionally packed," BUYER BEWARE!

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 23 May 2019 21:10

BMRR wrote:
23 May 2019 21:04
The moral of my friend's story: if a seller says they will have the turntable "professionally packed," BUYER BEWARE!
In this case I would have settled to have had the turntable "packed" instead of bubble-wrapped and stuffed in a box.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 23 May 2019 21:18

tcolegrove wrote:
23 May 2019 21:10
...bubble-wrapped and stuffed in a box.
That is exactly what the folks at FedEx Office did. #-o Had they removed the platter, wrapped it in bubbles and placed it snugly underneath the plinth, everything might've been fine... but instead they left the platter in place, and it quickly became a missile as soon as the box left the store, destroying the dustcover, the headshell, the stylus, the power and speed controls, etc.

Armbored
Great Britain

Post by Armbored » 25 May 2019 01:07

vinylrayk wrote:
18 May 2019 21:02
This person could be an idiot or, perhaps worse, dis-honest. My biggest problem has been as a buyer from people who have no sense of how to pack, and the equipment arrived trashed in the box. I suppose some day it will be my turn to deal with a buyer like yours. Part of the risk of using that auction site, I guess.

Ray K

Ray,

Been there, experienced that more than once. Very disheartening when you are looking forward to owning some new kit.
I usually give packing advice these days, even if it's not required I figure, what do I have to lose? :-)

Mike

chgc

Post by chgc » 25 May 2019 03:04

I have a bit of a thing for Technics SL10’s. One of their many fine qualities is that they are built like tanks. I have one that was ground shipped across north america in a flimsy cardboard box and single layer of bubble wrap. When I received it the box had gaping tears in it and the lid latches were destroyed, but after a few hours of work it was working fine (with a book on top to hold the lid closed).