snap, crackle and pop
Dadrepus

Re: Dealing with idiots.

Post by Dadrepus » 20 May 2019 12:54

Damien Taylor wrote:
20 May 2019 07:33
theclosetguy wrote:
19 May 2019 16:04
I will not sell to anyone in Greece or Italy.
Not that this was the case in your experience but many sellers will not sell to Italy as the postal service is (was?) notoriously corrupt. Birthday cards will arrive with cash removed, items will be opened and have parts missing etc.
Same problem in South Africa. Send my father-in-law and an O's baseball cap along with some other gifts for his birthday. When he went to the local Post Office the box had been opened and the guy behind the counter was wearing his cap. Funny now, then not so much.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 20 May 2019 14:58

I've been an active seller of turntable parts on eBay for almost 5-years now. For the most part, everything goes smoothly and I've got a happy customer. If someone claims an item is broken or the box was crushed - I ask for pictures and, once received and it looks legit - I refund them because that's my responsibility. But, every now and then, I get a customer that comes along expecting the ridiculous.

One buyer bought a tone arm head shell and said it was defective and wanted a complete refund including shipping costs. He went on to say that one of the pins came out when he was replacing the wires with new wires. Aha!! "No", says I. I'm not making good on something you broke. He accused me of not standing behind my products and would report me to eBay and leave negative feedback (a really bad thing for a Premier eBay store). He left the bad feedback and I called eBay support. After a quick review of the messages we'd sent back and forth, the person review got to the point where they read the part about him removing the wires and started laughing. End of discussion. Negative feedback was removed, the return request was denied and closed.

To be honest - I'd say only 1-2% of the 10,000 transactions have gone bad. I'm not in business for that 1-2%. I'm in business for the other 98%.

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 20 May 2019 15:39

Dadrepus wrote:
18 May 2019 20:31
So, I called Ebay, they read the entire back and forth and agree with me. Anybody else have these eBay horror stories?
Yes, but I'm not sure if I would call your situation a horror story. eBay sided with you; you won. Where's the horror in that? :) There are lots of legitimate horror stories of eBay unfairly siding with the buyer, resulting in the seller getting bad feedback AND losing their money AND losing the item they were selling. You're fortunate that didn't happen to you. :D

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 20 May 2019 16:50

Years ago, I offered a phone on ebay, and I had a buyer agree on a price. A few days later, he asks "Where's my phone?" He claimed he paid, and wants the phone. He didn't. He says he paid by money order, which I cashed. I asked for proof, which he didn't have. He physically threatened me. He was in Central America, me in Pennsylvania. I was new at ebay then, but I told him I knew a lawyer where he lived, and I never heard from him again.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 20 May 2019 17:21

There are honorable people and there are dishonorable people on both sides of the e-bay coin. And on both sides there are people who are less than knowledgeable. Most of my purchasing experiences have been delightfully positive, and a few have not. I have not had to descend into unpleasantness to get my very few unpleasantries resolved. Perhaps my worst experience was buying a Technics SL-D303 turntable. This unit suffered two trips to my at-the-time Technics certified repair guy who couldn't keep it running as some new incapacitation always popped up. If it hadn't been for the "included" Shure M95HE cartridge (without stylus) which then changed hands for the price I paid for the turntable I would regard that purchase as a complete bust.

On both sides of the coin e-bay has the potential to be a circus with an evil clown. Then, it also has the potential to be a great experience for both seller and buyer. As a buyer (only), I have had mostly positive experiences there, and the very few hiccups were easily resolved. You just have to learn to pass on buying from sellers who seem to have a "buyer beware; too bad about that" attitude.

Beobloke
Great Britain

Post by Beobloke » 21 May 2019 13:05

I've had a couple of chancers who have tried to fob me off with things not working as expected or 'damaged in transit' and looking for a reduction or a partial refund.

In each case I have politely expressed how sorry I am at the turn of events and that I do not give partial refunds. However, if they send the item back to me I will give them a full refund. I never heard from any of them again!

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 21 May 2019 14:39

I might add that one thing I do to protect myself is to very faintly mark each item I have up for sale - it's only visible if you know what to look for. That way I eliminate the possibility of someone buying a working part and shipping me back their non-working part under the guise of "it doesn't work".

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 21 May 2019 22:52

Well, idiots are in both sides. I once bought a lens made in USSR and sold by a guy supposedly in Ukraine.
The lens was said to be pristine and had it's original Bakelite box. I bought it and paid to someone or a company in the USA.
The lens was pretty badly packed and, of course, the Bakelite box arrived totally trashed and the lens maimed. I contacted the seller for it's address for the return. He refused to give it to me. I contacted the USA address and they give me a way to send the lens to them for free. I returned the lens and they reimbursed me in full including postage costs. Then the seller contacted me furious because he had lost and the lens and the money.... He said he would give me negative feedback (I'm at 100 % positive) so I contacted Ebay and they did not let him leave feedback...
And some time there are scammers. I sold a laptop, a gamer model from MSI pretty well packed and pristine. The first guy who contacted me minutes after I put the ad in Ebay told me he buys it paying with Paypal but I had to deliver it at another address than the one registered by Paypal... I refused and refused the sale... (Paypal do not reimburse you if there is a claim for a non delivered package at another address than the registered one...)

edradour
Scotland

Post by edradour » 21 May 2019 23:59

I was pleased with UPS on one occasion - a buyer in Austria swore he never received an item and UPS came up with a photo of the recipient's signature - same surname. He carried on swearing he never got it.....but it didn't do him any good.

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 22 May 2019 01:23

To save the hassle, use E-bays international shipping service. The buyer pays for standard shipping to the US location. You get charged the % on that. The Buyer then pays direct to ebay the international fees. It costs you nothing more.
Mike M

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 22 May 2019 14:44

theclosetguy wrote:
22 May 2019 01:23
To save the hassle, use E-bays international shipping service. The buyer pays for standard shipping to the US location. You get charged the % on that. The Buyer then pays direct to ebay the international fees. It costs you nothing more.
Mike M
Mike is right! The Global Shipping Program makes things hassle free from the seller's perspective. Once a package has been received by eBay, if the delivery goes bad after that - eBay makes things right with the buyer. True, it adds to the cost of goods for the buyer - but so be it. I simply won't ship to international addresses directly. There's too many risks involved and lack of tracking data as well.

Dadrepus

Post by Dadrepus » 22 May 2019 14:57

Update! So, even though I won the dispute, not only did eBay give him $16 of compensation for his claimed missing needle, they also blocked me and him from giving any "negative feedback". His account was flagged, so they say, for taking unfair advantage of eBay's money back guarantee, there is no evidence of it and other sellers will not be warned. Ebay seems to be overly concerned about not offending anybody. So, the story is finished.

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 22 May 2019 18:03

I’ll make this short and with no intention of insulting anyone. ;)

As a retirement hobby I modify a specific model of AM/FM tuner. Sometimes I buy them used and resell them after modification. The most difficult customers to deal with are high-end audiophiles who think a magic tuner is going to cure all the ills in the audio chain of a typical radio station, or that it will pick up their favorite station 120 miles away without any problem. I can look at their web page or ebay profile and predict with near 100% accuracy that they will not be satisfied, no matter what.

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 22 May 2019 19:20

Most FM problems originate at the station. Would you mind telling us which model? I'm going to guess a Mac or Marantz or Sequerra.

NewOldVinyl

Post by NewOldVinyl » 23 May 2019 00:27

lenjack wrote:
22 May 2019 19:20
Would you mind telling us which model? I'm going to guess a Mac or Marantz or Sequerra.
Nope to all the above. It’s the humble Sony XDR-F1HD, which originally retailed for $100. The build quality reflects that price. Nothing audiophile about it. They typically go for $150-$250 now unmodified. Maybe higher for one that’s minty fresh.

The core chipset Sony used is phenomenally good at FM reception, and the tuner can be made to sound WAY better than stock. Read all about it at the links. :)

http://ham-radio.com/k6sti/xdr-f1hd.htm

Https://xdrguy.com