Connoisseur buzzing motor

snap, crackle and pop
Michael626

Connoisseur buzzing motor

Post by Michael626 » 17 May 2019 16:29

I have BD2A that I keep tinkering with. Now, the little motor won't fire up when I flip the switch. Sometimes, I can spin the platter and it will catch and run just fine, but lately, like this morning, it will not even do that. I slipped the belt off the pulley and tried to spin it by hand and I get a buzzy sound and vibration out of the motor. Any ideas what to look for? Platter is lubed and will spin for over 4 minutes when spun by hand. I cleaned some gunk out of the lower bearing and lubed it and that helped for a while. Is there some sort of general troubleshooting manual for something like this?
Thanks
Michael

dysmike
Germany

Re: Connoisseur buzzing motor

Post by dysmike » 17 May 2019 18:07

Starter capacitor would be my guess

Michael626

Post by Michael626 » 17 May 2019 18:30

Thanks but doesn’t seem to have one far as I can tell

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 18 May 2019 01:45

Michael626 wrote:
17 May 2019 16:29
I have BD2A that I keep tinkering with. Now, the little motor won't fire up when I flip the switch. Sometimes, I can spin the platter and it will catch and run just fine, but lately, like this morning, it will not even do that. Is there some sort of general troubleshooting manual for something like this?
Thanks
Michael
There is no troubleshooting manual unfortunately. Have you taken the motor apart and have you re-lubed it, as sometimes it can just be running dry.

The later Connoisseur motors are fitted with a "clutch" type mechanism, to stop the motor spinning backward on starting. It's just a small plastic clip that if assembled incorrectly will cause issues.

The early motors would sometimes spin backwards, this is the reason for the little rubber bit on the on lever. It would give the platter a nudge forward.

Michael626

Post by Michael626 » 18 May 2019 03:32

Thanks, well, here is the way I did it, not a good way, but what I did. I ordered the kit that replaces the rubber suspension and installed it, while I had it out I did lube the upper part and soaked the piece of felt with oil and put it back together. It worked okay for awhile. I could put on a record and then flip the on switch, the rubber pimple would push the platter and after some gyrations at the motor, it would take off and I could enjoy music. But it got worse and worse, so not being good at soldering or de-soldering, I could at least take the bottom off and I did that. I found orange looking gunk around the motor shaft and in the bearing housing, so I cleaned that up and relubed it. Put it all back together and then ran into this situation where I would have to spin up the platter to get it to work. Well, not good, but the music coming out was just grand, so figured I could live with it. But not now, no joy in Mudville. I am pretty positive I put the clutch mechanism back together right because if I try to turn it backwards, it moves a bit and then stops. Perplexed.
Michael

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 18 May 2019 20:34

As you said yourself, the problem arose after you took the motor apart and reassembled. I have yet to see one of those motors fail but it is possible.

I would try looking at the clutch again, clean the bearings again and use a very light oil and if that fails, time for a replacement.

Might well be that the plastic clutch will not allow the motor to spin back even if not assembled correctly. I wouldn't assume it is sitting in the right place. The first time I took one of those motors apart I had the same issue. This was before the internet took off, so it took my some time to work out how the damn thing went back.

Try looking at the clutch and if you are unsure, and can wait a day or two, I will post a photo of the thing.

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 22 May 2019 18:55

If you're interested, I think we have a couple Connoisseur BDA2 donor machines. Let me know and I can dig into the pile to see if there's a working motor.

Michael626

Post by Michael626 » 22 May 2019 21:01

Thank you very much, I would certainly be interested in one. Are these motors supposed to have a start or run capacitor?
Michael

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 23 May 2019 14:23

I found one of the BDA/2 donor machines and it has a motor. The bad news is that it has the same hesitation and slight reverse movement at start up. There is no start up capacitor that I can see.

I think we have a second BDA/2 that I still need to put my hands on. Soon as I find it and determine if that one has a good motor I'll update. Fingers-crossed!

Michael626

Post by Michael626 » 23 May 2019 18:38

Thank you very much, I would certainly be interested in one. Are these motors supposed to have a start or run capacitor?
Michael

Michael626

Post by Michael626 » 23 May 2019 18:57

IMG_4907.jpg
(146.81 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
Not knowing so much about electrical circuits like these, I did notice that under the black box that houses the switch, there is a capacitor, maybe attached to two of the poles on the little micro switch. It is marked CF S3, any idea what it does?

tcolegrove
United States of America

Post by tcolegrove » 24 May 2019 15:27

I mistakenly thought we had two donor machines, turns out we only had the one. Wish I could be of more help.

Michael626

Post by Michael626 » 24 May 2019 15:56

I appreciate your efforts. If you would part with it, I would like to have the motor you did find even tho it does not appear to work. Perhaps I could marry mine with it and make a working one. How much for it?
Thanks again
Michael

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 24 May 2019 18:45

Michael626 wrote:
23 May 2019 18:57
IMG_4907.jpgNot knowing so much about electrical circuits like these, I did notice that under the black box that houses the switch, there is a capacitor, maybe attached to two of the poles on the little micro switch. It is marked CF S3, any idea what it does?
I think that's a spark suppression capacitor designed to prevent any loud thumps from the system when the switch is operated.

I once had a BD1 (the kit version without arm), whose motor and drive circuit are identical, as are the platter, switch and bearing. I'm afraid I can't remember much about the drive circuit except that it had a wire wound resistor to drop the voltage, which became rather hot. This may have been omitted if you are not in a location using 220-240v power, as it would be unnecessary. I don't recall a start capacitor being present, but then I never examined the components inside the box very closely.

HTH

Mark