Soundesign?

snap, crackle and pop
igarcia1229
United States of America

Soundesign?

Post by igarcia1229 » 17 May 2019 04:18

Hey guys, I'm new to the world of turntables. I recently bought a Soundesign Stereo Record Player, Model 0915. I've googled like crazy and have not found any info on this...All I know is Soundesign made alot of stuff, Record players being one.

Plugged it in, came on, plugged the aux out to my Kenwood just to see what we are working with and I have very faint audio. Long story short, I took the bottom off. The output was spliced and it looked terrible, I wasn't expecting it to produce loud sound.

When I opened it looks like a simple fix, just replace the aux out. So two things, Do you know this model is unlisted? Also am I on the right track to getting a decent sound.

Sorry if at any point I sound really dumb. I have no idea why I'm no interested in having a record player, but I am and really am enjoying learning about this once popular tech!

Thanks!
Isaiah

Tinkaroo
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Canada

Re: Soundesign?

Post by Tinkaroo » 17 May 2019 10:06

Hi Isaiah:

Welcome to VE! =D>

Unfortunately they produced a lot of these which were made for the budget minded, and unfortunately not built to last.Its also almost impossible to find service manuals for them as it would be with better known makes like Technics,Pioneer or Dual.

If you could post some photos it might help someone to solve the issue you are having.

Many turntables have a magnetic phono cartridge that has to be plugged into a phono input of an amp or receiver. AS an alternative the turntable would need to be plugged into a separate preamp and that plugged into the auxiliary or line voltage input of an amp. A magnetic phono cartridge only produces a small millivolt current which will sound faint through a regular auxilary input.

What model is your Kenwood?Perhaps it has a phono input you could try?

igarcia1229
United States of America

Post by igarcia1229 » 18 May 2019 20:37

So good news!! I took it apart and was able to fix it, Currently listening to Harry James & His Orchestra! It sounds incredible!! Also, feeling pretty accomplished! I do need to look at a stylus, but not certain which to get that will be compatible with this turntable.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 18 May 2019 22:09

Can't think of a better turntable for a first timer to get inside and underneath of.

Post a photo of the table were contending with.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 19 May 2019 01:23

Soundesign is definitely on the bottom of the line in equipment. Glad to hear that you got it playing though.

igarcia1229
United States of America

Post by igarcia1229 » 21 May 2019 02:38

Here ya go! My beautiful Soundesign Turntable! Ha!! I know it's not much but really happy with this project! I'm looking around for a new needle,
I didn't take any pics when I opened it up.

Any leads on what type of stylus would work for this model? Still sounds good, (imo) but I know I can tighten it up a bit.
Attachments
IMG_0943.jpg
Listening to Harry James & His Orchestra
(148.51 KiB) Downloaded 79 times