Sibilance

snap, crackle and pop
poor_fricky

Sibilance

Post by poor_fricky » 14 May 2019 21:00

So I just got a 200 gram record in the mail. Sounds fine early on but as it gets more towards the center of the album, the sibilance becomes noticeable. The instruments sound fine but the vocals are pretty harsh. I'm assuming it's a bad pressing? I took the record mat off and played it, thinking it was maybe too thick with the mat. Did the same thing. No other records do it as badly, if at all.

Records are fun but can be frustrating. The shrillness of the vocals just takes me out of the music.

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Sibilance

Post by Pauw » 14 May 2019 21:33

The first thing is to check your alignment etc as this can be a source of sibilance.

If that doesn't help things then there is this sadly.....some records are recorded and engineered in such a way as the cause sibilance and there is not that much one can do about it. ......I have been involved in re-mastering albums and there was one which I had had and the sibilance has always annoyed me....I chatted to the producer and engineer when we did the re master.....I showed them the sibilance and to my surprise could see it when it was pointed out but they never noticed it before.....eventually I persuaded them to re equalise the album and then it was minimised ....but if some people at that level can't hear it until it is pointed out ??????

wojtekf
Poland

Post by wojtekf » 14 May 2019 21:40

What record? (exact release could help you identify bad release)
What cartridge? Have you checked the alignment and VTF?

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 15 May 2019 08:29

What they said.

200g records dont automatically mean better sound. If the mastering is poor then the extra weight wont help much. But if you experience sibilance only towards the spindle, then its probably worth checking the alignment. Check also azimuth. My bet is the antiskate is not set properly.

Playing an lp without the mat wont help much, you will just scratch the records more. When you remove the mat you change the SRA angle which will make the sound more bright. Wont help with sibilance. If the pressing was bad you would hear it across the record equally.

poor_fricky

Post by poor_fricky » 16 May 2019 01:57

Solist wrote:
15 May 2019 08:29
What they said.

200g records dont automatically mean better sound. If the mastering is poor then the extra weight wont help much. But if you experience sibilance only towards the spindle, then its probably worth checking the alignment. Check also azimuth. My bet is the antiskate is not set properly.

Playing an lp without the mat wont help much, you will just scratch the records more. When you remove the mat you change the SRA angle which will make the sound more bright. Wont help with sibilance. If the pressing was bad you would hear it across the record equally.
[/quo

Thanks for the tips! my tracking force is set at 2.5. I always have trouble figuring out anti skate. Any tips? I have it at about 3. Don't really want to spend the money on one of those expensive testing records.

wojtekf
Poland

Post by wojtekf » 16 May 2019 09:45

Again, what record and what cartridge?

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 16 May 2019 18:44

Yes, but he says : "No other records do it as badly, if at all.". So I suspect the record.

poor_fricky

Post by poor_fricky » 17 May 2019 05:36

wojtekf wrote:
16 May 2019 09:45
Again, what record and what cartridge?
Barbara Manning & The Go Luckys - You Should Know By Now

SHURE N44-7

wojtekf
Poland

Post by wojtekf » 17 May 2019 11:27

Have you tried cleaning the tip? (at least with carbon fibre brush designed for stylus use)
I would re-check the alignment and would not touch AS (unless the sibilance appears in one channel only).

Any chance to play the same LP on a different system? It may be the case of poor mastering for vinyl, this album is probably not the easiest one to master for vinyl, even the digital version got a lot of sharp sounds in vocals...

wojtekf
Poland

Post by wojtekf » 17 May 2019 11:28

One more thing - any idea what is the stylus "mileage"?