Sansui sr1050c - a beginner question

snap, crackle and pop
Vania7
Israel

Sansui sr1050c - a beginner question

Post by Vania7 » 07 May 2019 11:42

Hello, please forgive me for my amateur questions.
I have just took out of the storage my family old Sansui SR1050c after 30 years.
Can you please recommend where to buy parts for this beautiful peace ?
What kind of stylus/needle you recommend to buy ?

Thank you very much!

jackie

Re: Sansui sr1050c - a beginner question

Post by jackie » 07 May 2019 14:49

The Audio Technica AT95e cartridge is highly regarded, get someone to fit it for you if you can't manage, did you download the record deck users manual?

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 08 May 2019 02:24

Welcome to the forum Vania. There is no need to apologize for not knowing information, we all started our audio learning curves without much knowledge!

Replacement belts can be obtained online and from eBay - search "turntable belt Sansui SR1050c" and you should get numerous options.

I agree that the AT95 is well-regarded. The AT3600L is also very well-regarded and very cheap (the price does not reflect it's quality).

Good luck with your restoration and I hope you get much listening pleasure from the Sansui. Don't be afraid to ask more questions if needed.

Progman2112
United States of America

Post by Progman2112 » 09 May 2019 02:03

It is a nice looking table.When I found mine I first replaced belt,oiled the motor and spindle,had to oil motor from underneath because the little oiling tubes had gummed up.While in there spray contact cleaner on on/off switch.I also needed anti-skate weight which I found online,then had a Nagaoka MP110 mounted which sounded great but upgraded to a AT440mlb which sounds even better.Some parts can be found at organdonorparts.com or sansuipartsshop.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 09 May 2019 02:57

I second the suggestion of beginning with either the AT95e or the AT 3600L, both commendable mid and entry level cartridges, which are very economical and will allow you to enter the vinyl experience with very easily. Both provide a high level of audio satisfaction, and you can move forward to more refined cartridges and styli if you feel the need. Listen for a while before committing to more expensive cartridge suggestions...this is a journey, not a destination kind of hobby. Two names that come to mind for such cartridge setups include Turntableneedles.com and LPGear.com. Both are from the Pacific Northwest of the USA, but are highly recommended by audiophiles everywhere. Welcome to the forums, the hobby, and remember to dance to the music! :D

Vania7
Israel

Post by Vania7 » 09 Nov 2019 18:41

Hello everyone,
Thank you all for your good advice and worm welcoming words!
It took more than expected but finally, today, I connected my sr1050 to my Sansui 2000a receiver and surprise, it plays!
After about 30 years. amazing.

Now I will move forward with the cartridge and belt.
Regarding oiling, any recommendations ? can use WD40 ?:)

Thank you again and looking forward to the journey AsOriginallyRecorded.

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 09 Nov 2019 19:17

Vania7 wrote:
09 Nov 2019 18:41

Regarding oiling, any recommendations ? can use WD40 ?:)

Thank you again and looking forward to the journey AsOriginallyRecorded.
Hi

Definitely not WD40, which is not a lubricant suitable for use in bearings. Some people become obsessive about which oil to use, but sewing-machine oil or gearbox oil are good starting-points. There's also 3-in-One motor oil (not the standard stuff), which may be obtainable from a hardware store.

HTH

Mark

Vania7
Israel

Post by Vania7 » 10 Nov 2019 00:02

Thank you, Mark.
Already ordered AT3600n, and then I found this one which is supposed to be like the original.
Which one is better you think?

https://www.turntableneedles.com/SN31-t ... _1246.html

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 10 Nov 2019 08:17

You are sounding excited Vania, I hope you enjoy a long relationship with playing records.

I don't know about the Sansui cart, but the AT is very highly regarded. Given that the Sansui stylus is not very much, you can buy it and get another headshell so you can have two easily interchangable carts - the better sounding one for your good records, and the other to play damaged records. A cheap replacement headshell will be OK (eg. Technics clone, don't get a cheap pressed thin aluminum one).

I echo Mark's comments - avoid WD40. Sewing machine oil might be too thin. Regarding 3-in-one - I've read that the BLUE tin design is good for bearings, and you should AVOID the RED tin graphics version. SAE 20 compressor oil is also good.

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 10 Nov 2019 14:08

Yes, the 'motor oil' 3-in-one is the type that comes with blue graphics on the tin. Oddly enough, I've never seen a can of this in the UK, only the standard type with the red design.

Here's the manufacturer's page for guidance https://www.3inone.com/products/motor-oil/. This is indeed an SAE 20 oil. Seems it's not available at UK retailers, which explains why I've never seen it.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 11 Nov 2019 09:58

Same in Australia - I can easily buy the red tin :-) but not the desired blue tin.
And postage to buy a small package like this from the US is prohibitive!