How many turntables do you have?

snap, crackle and pop
doctor fuse

Re: How many turntables do you have?

Post by doctor fuse » 22 Mar 2019 22:07

Maybe?
Looking forward to your bargain announcements though!

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 22 Mar 2019 22:33

windywatchguy wrote:
22 Mar 2019 14:08
Am I the only one who finds it rather annoying when people feel compelled to announce when they buy something for a very low price? This thread was never meant as a place to share your amazingly cheap turntable. In fact, almost none of the threads here are related to the price you paid at Goodwill or a yardsale. I'm considering using this forum as a place to announce every great buy I make from now on. I'll start with this: Last week I got an artificial xmas tree for 3 USD. If you'd like the details of the manufacturer, height, type, etc. just ask.
Y'know? I was going to ignore you...but I just can't...some of us just don't have your budget... some do and that's wonderful. I like looking at higher end newer equipment as well. I don't know what VE was started as, but all I've seen it's about guys who know how to fix things helping guys who want to DIY and save money AND have a good piece of equipment in the end.
You have a right to your opinion, tho... don't like it, you don't have to...if you don't like what you see, don't look.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 23 Mar 2019 00:20

windywatchguy wrote:
...this thread was never meant as a place to share your amazingly cheap turntable. In fact, almost none of the threads here are related to the price you paid at Goodwill or a yardsale. I'm considering using this forum as a place to announce every great buy I make from now on. I'll start with this: Last week I got an artificial xmas tree for 3 USD. If you'd like the details of the manufacturer, height, type, etc. just ask.
Kinda interesting to see you complaining about our cheap grabs in the "how many ...do you have" thread...oh, by the way, if you'd like to talk about your cheap Christmas tree, you might start your own thread. Thanks ever so... #-o :roll:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 23 Mar 2019 04:20

DasherF wrote:
23 Mar 2019 00:20
windywatchguy wrote:
...this thread was never meant as a place to share your amazingly cheap turntable. In fact, almost none of the threads here are related to the price you paid at Goodwill or a yardsale. I'm considering using this forum as a place to announce every great buy I make from now on. I'll start with this: Last week I got an artificial xmas tree for 3 USD. If you'd like the details of the manufacturer, height, type, etc. just ask.
Kinda interesting to see you complaining about our cheap grabs in the "how many ...do you have" thread...oh, by the way, if you'd like to talk about your cheap Christmas tree, you might start your own thread. Thanks ever so... #-o :roll:
Huh??? What??? Hold the phone!! Has he NOT seen THIS thread, which is ALL ABOUT the prices we've paid at Goodwill and yard sales???? :?

viewtopic.php?t=88346

We even have a thread here devoted to just those $1.00 records from the dollar bins and those 50 cent steals from the thrift shops and yard sales... :wink:

viewtopic.php?t=99317

I started it because I think there is something to be said for those budget records, which can actually be quite enjoyable in their own right and I've made quite a few discoveries buying records cheaply that way...When newbies come on and say they can't afford quality equipment and/or records and that this hobby is too expensive, I point out these two threads as evidence to the contrary...Sure, one can always upgrade, but if you don't have the funds and just want to jump in, you need a starting point and I'm very happy that there IS a starting point and an entry level into this hobby, so that anyone can get in and it's not some exclusive club that not even the most eager, passionate upstart could enter...I'm quite proud of the fact that several members here have been encouraged by those threads to get deeper into record collecting and not be ashamed of the equipment they have...Even I had to start somewhere, and I've bought about 33 turntables, 14 receivers (1 Sony, 4 Technics, 2 Pioneers, 1 Scott, 1 Sansui, 1 Realistic, 1 Kenwood, 2 Sherwoods and one other one I can't recall...), and several pairs of speakers...with most of that bought within the last 5-6 years of discovering THIS site! =D>

Ummm...we also have a thread here, where we can talk about how much we paid for our turntables... :-k

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7128

I mean...REALLY????! :?

If anyone's missed those, what rock have they been hiding under??? :? And if they were hiding under a rock, they might want to read some of those posts, because they're fascinating reading!! :D At least, to me... 8-[

Oh, and for the record, if someone wanted to post something about their cheap Christmas tree in the "Off Topic" section, I'm sure we could indulge them... :wink: :lol:

When it comes down to it, though (and my vinyl mentor agrees with me on this), it's not how much you pay exactly for your equipment and music, but how much enjoyment you get out of it all in the end...Buying cheap doesn't mean that one can't upgrade down the line, but like getting their first car, it gets them in the door and um...behind the wheel...

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 23 Mar 2019 12:55

windy...you can always start your own thread on whatever topic you wish...like vm said I'm sure you'll be indulged...by I 'd be happy not to read that you're not rubbing noses in it because you don't agree with others participating. Start a higher end thread...as I said yesterday, I read those too, absorbing the knowledge, going to a couple of those stores in town (I get newsletters from a few). While I collect vintage, i do not dismiss current.
I contend the Christmas tree would be sad indulgence, given the aforementioned reason.

lpman_t

Post by lpman_t » 27 Mar 2019 12:26

I have three.
Technics SL 1210 MK II with Ortofon Blue
Project Audio 6.9 suspended chassis with Ortofon 540

Thorens TD 126 MK III not in use at the moment due to the tonearm problem. Needs servicing.

Great day to you all

AdlerW
United States of America

Post by AdlerW » 30 Mar 2019 17:46

I have 5:

Technics SL-D205
Technics SL-QX300
Onkyo CP-1036A (thrift shop find)
JVC AL-F33 (keep this one at our vacation home)
U-Turn Orbit

Still on the lookout for a Pioneer PL-9, my dream table :)

robertor

Post by robertor » 30 Mar 2019 19:43

Dual 1219 on Dual plinth Ck-20 white.
Dual 1219 on Grundig plinth.
Dual 1219 on Nordmende aluminum plinth.
Dual 1228.
BSR 810 for Neckermann.
Elac Miracord 50 H-II under restoration (broken arm).

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 30 Mar 2019 20:35

Robertor... (and, hey, others!) I (we, I'm sure) would love a look at your gear. Dual 'tables in other plinths sound interesting.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 31 Mar 2019 14:00

Back up to 16 with the extraction of the Technics SL-D20 to my friend and coworker and the addition of the Garrard Lab 80 on Thursday. :oops: :lol: =D>
PSX_20190328_123448.jpg
(136.54 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
PSX_20190328_123616.jpg
(179.87 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
PSX_20190328_163147.jpg
(155.26 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
It's a sweet ol' thing with a good cart and needs a bit of going thru. Gotta push start the platter (yup, another project...another roun'tuit... #-o ...but the more I look at it, the more I know I did a good thing...), but once it gets luvved, it'll find its way to a proper rig (maybe a Pioneer 770?...another receiver, go fig...).

robertor

Post by robertor » 31 Mar 2019 18:19

Last edited by robertor on 31 Mar 2019 18:39, edited 2 times in total.

robertor

Post by robertor » 31 Mar 2019 18:21

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 31 Mar 2019 18:27

Nice bunch of gear, r!
I just started collecting seriously about 7 years ago. I had no idea (tho I thought maybe) turntables could fit into other plinths...is there adapting to be done on some?
Last edited by DasherF on 31 Mar 2019 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

robertor

Post by robertor » 31 Mar 2019 18:39

Sorry my BSR is the 710 :)