vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Re: How many turntables do you have?

Post by vinyl master » 05 Mar 2019 04:41

DasherF wrote:
05 Mar 2019 04:25
Curious... what kind of cartridge was on the Techie? Aaaand how much would both Techies be? (...see, the belt doesn't seem to be a big deal to change and carts don't need to be original...do they...?) 8)
Dasher may be onto something there, AOR...I wonder what would happen if you offered them a fair price on both Techies that you would feel comfortable with...The least they could do is say no...Considering one needs a belt, does not have the original cartridge and could be a lot of work, maybe they could work with you...Ask them, "What's the best price you could do on both?" Tell them you'd seen both the other day and just weren't comfortable with their asking price, considering what they'd need to get them going again...Maybe you could get both a little cheaper in a bundle package...It's worth a try anyway...At least, if it were me, I'd try...and if they wouldn't budge, I wouldn't be afraid of walking away...I'd tell 'em, "I had to ask, you know"...Even though I might have missed out on a few due to that, I can't really complain...Oh, and if all else, the B202 may have some spare parts that may come in handy someday...Something to think about in any case, but I wouldn't think too long...

M4RF
Australia

Post by M4RF » 06 Mar 2019 11:32

I only have two but picked up a cool vintage Dual 1209 today. I had an older Akai AP m75 but sold it to finance the Dual. I also have a Pioneer Plz82. Its surprisingly nice sounding for a cheaper turntable. Cheers M4RF
Attachments
MmsCamera_2019-03-06-18-55-24.jpg
(145.41 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

doctor fuse

Post by doctor fuse » 06 Mar 2019 21:50

Acht, how to resist when an ELAC Miracord with an Audio Technica nude stylus comes up for $20?!?!
ANd before that a free Rega Planar 3?
And before that a free Technics SL-D2?
And before that a CEC BD-2000 with Dust Bug for $30 (I only wanted it for the DB, but have since fallen in love with that tone arm)
And before that a free Dual 1009 SKII?!?!

PLEASE TEACH ME HOW TO SAY "NO"!

PS. I have already given away two Technics SL-D220s, a DD Dual, an Aiwa DD, a JVC belt drive...

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 06 Mar 2019 23:01

Unfortunately, VM and Dasher, I have to work on my bargaining skills....I saw the D202, gauged it's condition then and there, and took it to the checkout like a thief in the night! It is every bit as nice as I thought it was at the time, and one that definitely would have been gone by the end of the day. I'm enjoying it immensely. The Hitachi was still there (often viewed as junk Japanese, when they are, in fact, very good TTs, in the second tier of Japanese manufacturers), as was the B202 the next day. The library shows it as originally having the very good U25 "universal" cartridge on it (a p-mount on an adapter), and I approached the cashier with an offer to buy the TT just for the cartridge if indeed the U25. Unfortunately, it was/is a Shure (M70 possibly), and I wasn't that interested in getting another Shure. But......even though I am trying to limit (honest!) the number of turntables I have, something nice will force me to backslide possibly, and Friday is tag discount day, so, like a seagull, I may swoop down on that abandoned puppy if still there....as you mention, as a possible parts machine. From a practical point of view (now I'm justifying myself!) the tonearm and cartridge are worth more than the asking price, so not like throwing money down a well...or rabbit hole if you prefer. Darn, you guys are a bad influence...in a good and satisfying kind of way. And, I'm having serious second thoughts on that SL-L2 at the other store. MMMMmmm.....linear tracking turntables. Feels like a Homer Simpson moment...Will keep you posted. And JFYI...I had considered the bundling of the two (even all three) Technics...then panic bought...like I say, I have to work on my bargaining skills! :lol:

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 06 Mar 2019 23:08

Practice makes perfect, AOR...You've got to be ready for those garage and estate sales in the summer! Don't forget the flea markets, too! :wink:

In the one review of it here, the guy had his SL-L2 since 1983 and only recently (as of last year) performed any service on it...

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_r ... odel=SL-L2

I don't know what that tells you, but they seem like rugged TT's...Sure, you're always taking a chance on a vintage turntable, but if the price is right, who knows? It could be a very good performer with some TLC! :D

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 06 Mar 2019 23:33

I read that review as well, and filed it away as another motivating factor to maybe check it out more closely. As said previously, someone has laid things on the lid, and being part of the play mechanism, can't really be easily replaced. I'll be looking to see if buffing will make it more presentable. Quite clean otherwise, so worth a second look, and does have the Grado on it. Yes, contrary to the perception a lot of people have, the linears are fairly robust machines, and given that they are more hands off than standard tonearm tables, are generally less prone to misadventure. Place the record, close the lid, press play. No fun for those compulsive tinkerers, but a nearly idiot proof process, and with very high return quality of playback. And look just like the future, as some of the press stated back in the 80s. A bit of a pity the p-mount concept got booted by the advent of CD really. Another reason to save a few! Works of art....and they play music..can't lose! Cheers!

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 06 Mar 2019 23:42

To backtrack here, the Doc said, "PLEASE TEACH ME HOW TO SAY "NO"!
Um...no...it sounds like you're enjoying your hobby, Doc. Who are we to stand in your way? 8) :lol: =D> =D> =D> !
AOR...you sound as if you'be got "the bug, alright.
Buying the turntable in spite of a non-favored cart seems ok to me...one of the Duals came with a Signet PnP on an adapter...hadn't heard one before, but I bought the table...in the case of my BIC 940, it was the Shure M91E that made the purchase appealing. We can always justify the "reason"...as I learned..."reason-schmeason". Enjoy yerself. :D
OH! OH! AND PICTURES! WE WANT PICTURES!
...thank you...

vinyl master
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
United States of America

Post by vinyl master » 07 Mar 2019 00:27

Yer gettin' to be a purdy darn good enabler there yerself, Dasher...I LIKE IT!! =D>

So, guys...Bottom line is...When you see a nice-looking TT at a good price, resist at your own peril! :lol:

Somebody has to save these things and it might as well be us! :wink:

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 07 Mar 2019 00:39

vm said, and I quote: "Yer gettin' to be a purdy darn good enabler there yerself, Dasher...I LIKE IT!! =D> "
Um, vm...who you t'ink I gots it from? 8) ("Do it Dasher! You know you want to!" :lol: :lol:
I HAVE thought of fixing and selling some of my wares...that's an option...but to paraphrase you, vm...sell at your own risk... :lol: =D>

music_mota_beer
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by music_mota_beer » 07 Mar 2019 06:27

windywatchguy wrote:
05 Mar 2019 00:31
It's good to find something like the Ortofon blue and be happy with it. The danger is getting caught up in that cycle of needing to try the next best thing...or the next. The price of the blue is still fairly reasonable for most listeners, but moving up to bronze and black can be painful, and one could debate the cost/improvement ratio. I know my limitations, and my hearing is not sensitive enough to invest in 2m black, for sure. I've headed off in the Nagaoka direction lately and am liking those quite a bit, but I'm pretty much equally happy with a Shure V15 III, V15 IV, V.....97xe, Ortofon Bronze, Nagaoka 110 or if I'm feeling more pretentious, the mp 200, which is probably my favorite having never heard an mp 300 or mp 500. In my opinion for most people spending 700 to 1000 or more on a cartridge is much like buying a Range Rover....pay double for something less capable than a 4runner. I'm sure some will be hurt by that. I could have used Mercedes or BMW as the example. Hell, even springing for the 2m Bronze was more than I should have done. I was feeling heady. A good used V15 III with the right stylus is still as good as anything I'll ever really need. And I'm leaving out a list of great old Stantons, ATs, and others. One of my favs is an ancient Shure...forget the model now, but it's HUGE and looks like it's made of bakelite. I think it's circa early 60s...sounds terrific. I use it sparingly because it has the original stylus. Let me get a photo of that beast.
Agreed.

The Ortofon 2M Blue is more than adequate for my entry-level, low-fi kit.

The Hana/VPI/MoFi were bought last year as an experiment, just to see what's out there. Frankly, the Hana SL is outstanding. If there's gold to be found, Hana pulls it out. It has great mids, bass, speed, separation, soundstage, imaging, and whatever other superlatives I cannot think of.

Credit should also go to the ADL Furutech GT40 audio interface, which supplies the Hana moving coil phono preamp. It does everything exceptionally well, and automatically sets input impedences, something I'm ignorant about.

The most important thing I did, however, was to set the kit on a diagonal. What an ear-opener. Room treatments also help, a lot.

Although a third record player is in this year's cards, none of it will be VPI, Hana, or Ortofon. Different brands will be tried.

music_mota_beer
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by music_mota_beer » 07 Mar 2019 06:29

DasherF wrote:
05 Mar 2019 01:02
mmb, wwg...I have to confess I also have a 2M Bronze on the way...both are from Vinyl Engineers and they charged way under store prices...I'm very grateful to them...they were NOT to pass up. They became my next best thing...
I do like to mix and match...I just found an old stash of carts a few months ago I thought were left/lost when we moved 30 years back. What a treat! More choices! :roll:j =D>
Hey, wwg! Love that Shure! That WOULD be "the beast", eh? =D> =D>
Ortofon is a brand I'm pleased with.

DasherF
United States of America

Post by DasherF » 07 Mar 2019 12:13

I've often said I'm an "Ortofan". With 2 Concorde STDs, 2 20s, an EC-10, and 2 TKS-55s, yup...Ortofan.
I also have 23 other carts, but that's for another thread. :oops: :lol:

windywatchguy

Post by windywatchguy » 07 Mar 2019 14:10

I have never owned a Hana. Maybe I'll try one next time I am ready to buy something I don't need. I like the Nagaoka mp 200 very much...and the Ortofon bronze is undeniably sweet.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Mar 2019 03:26

DSC_0514 (640x426).jpg
One D202......the latest one.
(45.33 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
DSC01121 (640x480) (2).jpg
Two D202 stack! First one on bottom.
(49.66 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
DSC01121 (640x480) (2).jpg
Two D202 stack! First one on bottom.
(49.66 KiB) Downloaded 37 times
Some of my favorite finds.....
Attachments
DSC01097.JPG
Previous brag find...Hitachi HT-50S in Baycrest Plus 3200 label
(139.27 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
DSC01096 (2) (640x480).jpg
JVC QL-A200, with AT95e that I'm very pleased with...a lot of player for $35!
(55.53 KiB) Downloaded 35 times

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 08 Mar 2019 03:32

Labels and comments got mixed up when submitted somehow...sorry about that, but sure you can all figure it out! :)