Talking to Tsukamoto from Jelco he says ...

snap, crackle and pop
BARON ROJO
Spain

Talking to Tsukamoto from Jelco he says ...

Post by BARON ROJO » 16 Apr 2019 07:38

"Dear Carlos,

Hi, this oil is anti-rust oil."

This is the answer about the oil to lubricate the bearings of a Jelco SA-370H. Does anyone know what product it refers to ?. Thank you

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: Talking to Tsukamoto from Jelco he says ...

Post by AudioFeline » 16 Apr 2019 08:02

Why don't you reply to Tsukamoto from Jelco and ask for clarification?
[Post the reply here for future reference]

BARON ROJO
Spain

Post by BARON ROJO » 16 Apr 2019 09:09

AudioFeline wrote:
16 Apr 2019 08:02
Indeed ..... it is what I would have to do; -) .... but I think I have already abused the trust with Mr. Tsukamoto. Jelco is a company with its "secrets" and if Mr. Tsukamoto would like to give me the name of the oil I would have done it from the first moment.
I think of something like that.

https://www.bio-circle.com/products/pro ... i-rust-oil

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 16 Apr 2019 10:24

sounds like what we call 3in1 oil https://3-in-one.co.uk/

Each country will have its own version.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 16 Apr 2019 11:04

BARON ROJO wrote:
16 Apr 2019 09:09
AudioFeline wrote:
16 Apr 2019 08:02
Indeed ..... it is what I would have to do; -) .... but I think I have already abused the trust with Mr. Tsukamoto. Jelco is a company with its "secrets" and if Mr. Tsukamoto would like to give me the name of the oil I would have done it from the first moment.
I think of something like that.

https://www.bio-circle.com/products/pro ... i-rust-oil
If a company is that secretive about how to maintain their products it turns me against the company. And I previously thought that Jelco had a reasonably good reputation.

BARON ROJO
Spain

Post by BARON ROJO » 16 Apr 2019 11:59

It has been my first choice. In Spain we have "6 in 1" :D . But they are only products to use at the moment; loosen a screw, a lock, a mechanism, etc ... I need something more specific. Thank you.

BARON ROJO
Spain

Post by BARON ROJO » 17 Apr 2019 09:29

I think I'm going to use Moebius 9010 which is a special Swiss oil for watches. If the restoration is good, I promise a tutorial.

totem
Canada

Post by totem » 17 Apr 2019 17:55

A critical aspect of which oil to use [in any application] is the required viscosity, each bearing is designed to certain
tolerances which determine the needed viscosity.

BARON ROJO
Spain

Post by BARON ROJO » 26 Apr 2019 11:33

I think I'm just going to disassemble, clean with gasoline, dry, clean with isopropyl alcohol and not oil anything.

ChrisfromRI
United States of America

Post by ChrisfromRI » 27 Apr 2019 03:56

Don't blow yourself up using gasoline as a solvent!

I believe a very thin low viscosity oil used in tight tolerance guns, like Rem-Oil (Remington Arms), would be more suitable than "3-in-1" type oils which I understand normally include some vegetable oil so can become gummy over time. Most oils will prevent rust, so I think the key would be to choose one that will hold up over time and be a light, thin enough lubricant to not impede the bearings by getting gummy (varnish that is left after volatiles evaporate).

The "3 in 1" brand is owned by the WD-40 brand, whose main product WD-40 is purely a "Water Displacement" oil that prevents rust but also becomes gummy over time, so not such a good choice either for tonearm bearings.

OTOH I have become a big believer in synthetic oils over the past 25 years, and if I could find a straight zero or five weight synthetic oil I might use that instead. Watchmakers are now using very lightweight long lasting synthetic oils, so a watchmaking supply house might be a source.

BARON ROJO
Spain

Post by BARON ROJO » 29 Apr 2019 08:35

ChrisfromRI wrote:
27 Apr 2019 03:56
Don't blow yourself up using gasoline as a solvent!

I believe a very thin low viscosity oil used in tight tolerance guns, like Rem-Oil (Remington Arms), would be more suitable than "3-in-1" type oils which I understand normally include some vegetable oil so can become gummy over time. Most oils will prevent rust, so I think the key would be to choose one that will hold up over time and be a light, thin enough lubricant to not impede the bearings by getting gummy (varnish that is left after volatiles evaporate).

The "3 in 1" brand is owned by the WD-40 brand, whose main product WD-40 is purely a "Water Displacement" oil that prevents rust but also becomes gummy over time, so not such a good choice either for tonearm bearings.

OTOH I have become a big believer in synthetic oils over the past 25 years, and if I could find a straight zero or five weight synthetic oil I might use that instead. Watchmakers are now using very lightweight long lasting synthetic oils, so a watchmaking supply house might be a source.
There is a Spanish expression that says "do not kill flies with cannon fire". And I think that in the philosophy of doing simple things and not fall into the trap of spending more money than necessary and research to find the best solution your two proposals are fabulous. A friend is going to get me a watchmaker oil (mineral) and surprisingly you can buy Rem-Oil in Spain (blessed forums). Thank you all.

Damien Taylor

Post by Damien Taylor » 29 Apr 2019 10:09

I'd be thinking a translation issue, oil by it's nature inhibits oxidation...

BARON ROJO
Spain

Post by BARON ROJO » 30 Apr 2019 22:02

http://thumbs.subefotos.com/503c3234c39 ... 84ee6o.jpg
The bearing before cleaning. I see a lot of dirt.