REC O KUT K 33H

snap, crackle and pop
william9046
United States of America

REC O KUT K 33H

Post by william9046 » 14 Apr 2019 22:47

Hi folks;
This is my first time here. I came into possession of a REK O KUT K 33H today that belonged to the father of a friend who passed away. I have it hooked up and it seems to work as it is supposed to except for a low frequency hum. The ground wire is attached to a ground post on the receiver I'm using. So, a few questions: what else might cause a hum? A bad capacitor, perhaps? Do I need to put a new belt on it if the old one seems ok? I hear a little scraping noise. Is it likely to be the belt rubbing on the housing/cover over the motor? From what I have read today this seems to be a well regarded turntable among audiophiles, yes? Any information you can provide about the care and feeding of my new toy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
William the new guy

Bob Dillon
United States of America

Re: REC O KUT K 33H

Post by Bob Dillon » 14 Apr 2019 23:02

If it's like a 60 cycle hum you're hearing, I'd check the arm wiring, the connections to the cartridge, etc. Listen to where the scraping is coming from, it could be the belt, or something else. These 'tables are well regarded with restoration and likely the addition of an upgraded arm. No idea what arm you have on yours.

william9046
United States of America

Post by william9046 » 15 Apr 2019 16:15

Thanks Bob. It does sound like 60 cycle hum. I'll look at the wiring. The tonearm appears to be the stock one that came with the unit. It turns out the original owner ran a Radio/TV/HiFi store in Queens, NY during the '60s so he had his choice of anything and got this REK O KUT. I think that says a lot about it. Thanks again.
William
p.s.
How do I add a picture to a post?
thx

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 15 Apr 2019 20:41

Hi William,

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on the aqusition of the nice machine!

If the platter is turning at the correct speed and there are no creased spots on the belt causing a periodic thump, your belt is likely OK. Remove the cover over the belt capstan and if the scraping goes away,check out the fit of the cover and if it seems OK you may have to file it slightly to clear the belt.

If you need a belt the go-to place is Esoteric Sound: https://www.esotericsound.com

They are the R-O-K Gurus and in fact own the brand name now. The belt is very critical on your machine if you want accurate speed. They had belts made which give accurate speed on R-O-K and Empire machines. They call them “Tru Speed” belts.

I agree with Bob on checking the arm wiring for hum. There are two ways to wire and ground the arm of which I know. The first is to connect the arm to the chassis of the machine and run a ground wire the chassis of the machine to the ground screw of the phono stage. The audio signals from the cartridge and their returns (grounds) are isolated from each and the chassis and arm with the signal returns grounded only at the connectors of the phono stage. The second method connects the chassis of the machine to one of the audio cable shields (usually left), using the audio cable shield as the turntable ground. While the first method is more common and conservative either will work, but don’t do both as you may be inviting a ground loop (read hum).

Phil

william9046 wrote:
14 Apr 2019 22:47
Hi folks;
This is my first time here. I came into possession of a REK O KUT K 33H today that belonged to the father of a friend who passed away. I have it hooked up and it seems to work as it is supposed to except for a low frequency hum. The ground wire is attached to a ground post on the receiver I'm using. So, a few questions: what else might cause a hum? A bad capacitor, perhaps? Do I need to put a new belt on it if the old one seems ok? I hear a little scraping noise. Is it likely to be the belt rubbing on the housing/cover over the motor? From what I have read today this seems to be a well regarded turntable among audiophiles, yes? Any information you can provide about the care and feeding of my new toy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
William the new guy

Coffee Phil
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by Coffee Phil » 15 Apr 2019 20:53

Coffee Phil wrote:
15 Apr 2019 20:41
Hi William,

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on the aqusition of the nice machine!

If the platter is turning at the correct speed and there are no creased spots on the belt causing a periodic thump, your belt is likely OK. Remove the cover over the belt capstan and if the scraping goes away, check out the fit of the cover and if it seems OK you may have to file it slightly to clear the belt.

If you need a belt the go-to place is Esoteric Sound: https://www.esotericsound.com

They are the R-O-K Gurus and in fact own the brand name now. The belt is very critical on your machine if you want accurate speed. They had belts made which give accurate speed on R-O-K and Empire machines. They call them “Tru Speed” belts.

I agree with Bob on checking the arm wiring for hum. There are two ways to wire and ground the arm of which I know. The first is to connect the arm to the chassis of the machine and run a ground wire the chassis of the machine to the ground screw of the phono stage. The audio signals from the cartridge and their returns (grounds) are isolated from each and the chassis and arm with the signal returns grounded only at the connectors of the phono stage. The second method connects the chassis of the machine to one of the audio cable shields (usually left), using the audio cable shield as the turntable ground. While the first method is more common and conservative either will work, but don’t do both as you may be inviting a ground loop (read hum).

Phil

william9046 wrote:
14 Apr 2019 22:47
Hi folks;
William the new guy