How to clean stinky turntable?

snap, crackle and pop
vanakaru

How to clean stinky turntable?

Post by vanakaru » 14 Apr 2019 08:24

I got otherwise nice and well working turntable that stink really annoyingly. It is kind of basement+smoking+something else odour that I get any time I go near to it. I washed the rubber mat but it has the smell still. I am wary to use alcohol on the metal chassis(plate) - it has solved the paint/printed letters once before.
I am sure this is not uncommon problem so what has been successful so far?

vintagevinyllover
Great Britain

Re: How to clean stinky turntable?

Post by vintagevinyllover » 14 Apr 2019 10:55

if the mat is the main source of the smell I'd replace it. rubber is absorbent and very hard to clean. alternatively, if the rubber mat is just rubber then put it in a dishwasher on a low temp. if it comes out clean, great, if it doesn't or is damaged then replace it

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 14 Apr 2019 13:12

We had special needs foster children, one of which would strip at night, and get "creative."
Wiping a surface with Gillette Foamy Menthol aerosol shaving cream would remove all odors.
I don't know about a rubber mat, or printed lettering.

Cheers,
Alec

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 14 Apr 2019 15:57

Hi vanakaru, I find that a product called Simple Green is great for removing dust, dirt, grim and fowl odors from most turntable plinths. I've use this product on metal, plastic and wood plinths and have never damaged any of them. But it's always best to use a product like this first on the back corner of the plinth to make sure it does not harm any paint or finish. Never spray any product directly onto any surface it can leave spots. I always spray any cleaner I'm using on a clean rag then wipe the plinth clean. You can even clean the outer casing of the power cord and rca cables these do collect a lot of dust and odors because they are rubber or vinyl coated. Again just soak a spot on a rag with the product and wipe the cord and power cables clean. You can use simple green on the rubber mat to clean it then rinse it off with water and let it dry. If that does not work to rid the smell from the mat then it will need to be replaced. Simple Green can leave a light film on the plinth after it's been cleaned, I then use Windex and clean rag to remove this film and shin everything back up including the tonearm tube and gimble. Again don't spay the windex directly onto any turntable surface spray it onto a clean rag and wipe the surface clean. I hope this helps.

bhuston
United States of America

Post by bhuston » 14 Apr 2019 17:03

I bought one of those once from a thrift store. Could never get rid of the smell, it was saturated on the inside as well. A new rubber mat did not help. It got worse when it was on for awhile and heated up slightly. I ended up just donating it back and replaced it later. Good luck.

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 14 Apr 2019 22:11

Rubbing Alcohol and real windex are really good at removing left over tar and nicotine from stuff. Both are plastic safe. You may also want to try a diluted mixture of a pet odor eliminator also.
Mike M

cary114
United States of America

Post by cary114 » 15 Apr 2019 03:16

How about trying Febreze has been chemically engineered to eliminate odors.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 15 Apr 2019 05:18

A 50/50 solution of vinegar and water used as a wipe will safely remove a lot of tough stains, dirt and odors from surfaces. Not sure of effect on stencils and labels and such however. Also, have read that simply placing open cups or bowls of vinegar near tainted objects will actually remove the odors. I haven't tried this, but would be a very inexpensive solution (pun intended) for the problem if it works as suggested. I have used the laundry product "Unstoppables" (sic) to great success to remove heavy smoke smell from a vehicle that came into my possession as well, simply putting plastic tumblers in all the cup holders with a tbsp or so of the pellets in each one. Perhaps placing some in a sealed plastic bin with the offensive turntable for a week or so would solve your problem. That's all I've got.....good luck....there is an answer...somewhere! :roll:

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 15 Apr 2019 06:22

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
15 Apr 2019 05:18
A 50/50 solution of vinegar and water
Vinegar comes as 30% solution that you can buy in stores. Do you use this for 50/50 solution?
Also I do not want to replace one stink with another like people do with (car)air refresh products - I wonder if any of these solutions mentioned will leave its odour behind.

Van_Isle
long player
long player
Canada

Post by Van_Isle » 15 Apr 2019 16:52

I've taken the bare plinth of a Technics SL-1500 that was pressed into service as a DJ table in smoky nightclubs, with who knows what spilled on it and in it over the years and cleaned it with a garden hose and this: http://ca.proformproducts.com/en/produc ... e-cleaner/ I've used that cleaner also on many other similar surfaces with no ill effects to any labels. Windex and isopropyl alcohol for general clean-up ... but they didn't touch the gunk on this one. The Profom made it sparkle.

Circuit boards can be cleaned off with a non-residue contact cleaner (which you should be able to get relatively inexpensively ... NAPA / CRC makes one ... I found it on sale for less than $5 a can and bought 4 or 5 cans. A natural bristle paint brush helps.

hobie1dog
United States of America

Post by hobie1dog » 15 Apr 2019 20:58

www.xo-usa.com. a great odor removal product developed for copiers that were involved in office fires, used by Xerox

zlartibartfast
United States of America

Post by zlartibartfast » 16 Apr 2019 02:07

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 16 Apr 2019 06:22

Did that turntable come from San Francisco?

:D

Doug

poutrew

Post by poutrew » 16 Apr 2019 07:14

Doug G. wrote:
16 Apr 2019 06:22
Did that turntable come from San Francisco?

:D

Doug
Sourdough bread and marijuana make for a tough odor combination... :)

vanakaru

Post by vanakaru » 17 Apr 2019 19:28

Hey, thank you for all suggestions.
I tried vinegar and water first and did not need to go any further. It worked pretty well on rubber mat too.
BTW all automotive odour eliminators I found in our stores just do the opposite - they add an odour to cover the one you try to get rid of.