DIY Tonearm "Calypso Cardan" from 3D printed parts

snap, crackle and pop
lambdahalbe
Germany

DIY Tonearm "Calypso Cardan" from 3D printed parts

Post by lambdahalbe » 05 Apr 2019 21:17

Hi,
I would like to present my DIY Tonearm, which has already been built by other DIYers, mostly in Germany. All the tricky parts are available at Shapeways (a print on demand service) but the .stl-files can also be downloaded for free to print them on your own 3D printer.

You can use any tube with 10mm outside diameter: aluminum, CFK, wood... as you like it.
I'm currently designing a tonearm lift and a combined headshell with integrated preamp that fits into the tube.

Since this is a DIY project, I posted some information on a blog: https://calypso-tonearm.blogspot.com/
I would be glad if it could inspire other DIY builders to start making their own tonearm.

Here are some impressions:
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... w&id=59544
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... w&id=59547
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_f ... w&id=59546
Attachments
DSC01308.JPG
(94.33 KiB) Downloaded 481 times
DSC01302.JPG
(92.17 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
DSC01309.JPG
(98.56999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 775 times

Solist
Slovenia

Re: DIY Tonearm "Calypso Cardan" from 3D printed parts

Post by Solist » 05 Apr 2019 23:42

Wow, 3d printing really got a long way huh? Nice work!

A couple of questions:

Why did you not use a dropped counterweight?

How is rigid is the 3d printed bearing housing?

And where on earth did you found those metal bearings? :D

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 06 Apr 2019 14:39

Looks good.
Why put the preamp in the headshell? That weight could go in the base of the turntable, and not affect the effective mass of the tonearm.
This really tempts me to get a 3D printer ...

Cheers,
Alec

derspankster
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by derspankster » 06 Apr 2019 15:01

Very cool.

lambdahalbe
Germany

Post by lambdahalbe » 07 Apr 2019 12:02

Thanks for your comments and questions!

The ball bearings I use have the size 681ZZ (1x3x1mm) they are not hard to find. Prices are below 1 EUR. I also used this bearing for a unipivot tonearm of my 4-Speed Direct Drive Turntable. See how it tracks a warped 78rpm record from 1928: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYjbXRjS7fA&t=11s

The 3D printed parts are really rigid. They are printed on professional machines by a printing service. I don't own a 3D printer! The printing service is also able to print in solid metal, but I think that is not necessary.

No reason why I used this counterweight... It was just handy...

Alec, of course you're right. You don't want to increase the effective mass too much. But in this case, headshell and amp are so incredibly light that the arrangement is not critical regarding primary resonance. The advantage is the shielding from electrical interference since there are only 30mm cable to the amp. Additionally the capacitive load of the pickup can be selected by a capacitor, no influence of long cables. I use OPA140 operational ampifiers (in SOT23-5 package) with active RIAA filtering in the feedback loop. I attach some pictures of my ActiveShell.

kind regards,
Dominik
Attachments
calypso_phono_02.jpg
(91.81 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
calypso_phono_01.jpg
(59.48 KiB) Downloaded 269 times

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 07 Apr 2019 13:40

A very interesting approach.

Cheers,
Alec

billshurv
long player
long player

Post by billshurv » 09 Apr 2019 00:48

Nice work. Was discussing headshell mounted amplification a couple of months ago with some friends as there have been a couple of products launched with this over the years but it has never taken off. That's a very interesting approach you have, although of limited appeal outside a few hard core DIY types.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 09 Apr 2019 01:04

I like the concept but not the amp in the head shell.

But on the other hand, the amp can be optimized to the cartridge and you would always have the same gain, capacitance and impedence presented to the line level preamp. That is an advantage.

And I like the mini LED idea. Just add a dimmer (if you didn’t already) and I’d be into that.

Battery power for the amp?

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 09 Apr 2019 01:23

This is quite interesting. I had considered making a tone arm with 608 bearings, to play larger than 12" records, but found it daunting. I'd rather 608 as there are tons of brands with lots of reviews each, as they are used for skating. There are actually entire threads(elsewhere) dedicated to compare and contrasting 608 bearings. Maybe I can scale this design up, especially since I have some extra female 4 pin universal headshell sockets.

As 3d printing becomes more common and cheaper I could see this making it easier for people to play 16" transcription disks, or maybe those fabled 20" Plathe disks.

Also, if the parts are made of metal, they are probably made with one or more CNC machines out of a solid block of metal, as apposed to a 3d printer.

Copperhead
long player
long player

Post by Copperhead » 10 Apr 2019 03:28

scrapjack+ wrote:
09 Apr 2019 01:23
Also, if the parts are made of metal, they are probably made with one or more CNC machines out of a solid block of metal, as apposed to a 3d printer.
3D metal printers can be bought now for the same price plastic printers were sold for when they were first on the market.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 10 Apr 2019 13:28

Hello Dominik,
Will it be possible for your to share the design and parts for your headshell with integrated preamplifier ?
I like this idea very much !
Thanks in advance !

2002afan
United States of America

Post by 2002afan » 11 Apr 2019 12:25

lambdahalbe wrote:
07 Apr 2019 12:02
Thanks for your comments and questions!

The ball bearings I use have the size 681ZZ (1x3x1mm) they are not hard to find. Prices are below 1 EUR. I also used this bearing for a unipivot tonearm of my 4-Speed Direct Drive Turntable. See how it tracks a warped 78rpm record from 1928: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYjbXRjS7fA&t=11s

The 3D printed parts are really rigid. They are printed on professional machines by a printing service. I don't own a 3D printer! The printing service is also able to print in solid metal, but I think that is not necessary.

No reason why I used this counterweight... It was just handy...

Alec, of course you're right. You don't want to increase the effective mass too much. But in this case, headshell and amp are so incredibly light that the arrangement is not critical regarding primary resonance. The advantage is the shielding from electrical interference since there are only 30mm cable to the amp. Additionally the capacitive load of the pickup can be selected by a capacitor, no influence of long cables. I use OPA140 operational ampifiers (in SOT23-5 package) with active RIAA filtering in the feedback loop. I attach some pictures of my ActiveShell.

kind regards,
Dominik
Nice work Dominik. =D>

doggod
Finland

Post by doggod » 31 May 2019 20:10

Very nice job Dominik. I was thinking of using your headshell on my future wtl-clone, just using printed metal. Keep up the good work👍
-Riku

lambdahalbe
Germany

Post by lambdahalbe » 19 Jun 2019 23:48

Hi Riku,
I like the WTL-idea for DIY, but drilling a golf ball is a demanding task. It's difficult to fix it while drilling as it is made of rubber. Have you checked my 3D-print alternative as described here:
https://calypso-tonearm.blogspot.com/20 ... niels.html
Maybe an alternative for you too?

//Dominik