tom6to1
Canada

Re: Discrete Quad Record Player?

Post by tom6to1 » 02 Apr 2019 20:31

wiztom wrote:
17 Mar 2019 19:40
Doug G. wrote:
17 Mar 2019 18:10
A turntable without anti-skating is unlikely to be successful with CD-4. You need to have equal pressure on both groove walls.

Doug
Doug this is good info. I have a couple of questions:
Is the low capacitance wiring actually in the tone arm or just from the solderboard out; ( RCA cables). I cant imagine what low capacitance cabling would be with those small wires in the arm.

Do you have any suggestions on turntables to buy for CD-4 quad usage?

Thanks
If you are looking to buy used one option would be a DUAL 1229Q. I have not checked, but my recollection is that for the 1229, the "Q" indicated low capacitance wiring for quad. This can get confusing because there are later DUAL turntables that also have a Q in the name, but in that case they mean Quartz-locked speed. You may want to check for Technics or Dual advertising brochures on this site to see if they mention which turntables are wired for CD-4. I think you are probably OK with any Shibata cartridge, and maybe any line-contact cartridge (but not sure on that score). I have a bunch of CD4/QS/SQ albums, and an SL-1200MK2 that might have the correct tonearm capacitance (not sure) and a shibata cartridge. What I don't have is the QRX-9001 (lovely though complicated) and I am envious. Good luck.

wiztom

Post by wiztom » 03 Apr 2019 01:07

Thanks for the info as my JVC buy turned out to be junk.
I have another QRX-9001 that I will be putting on E-Bay in the near future.

trainer
United States of America

Post by trainer » 17 Jul 2019 20:45

I have a stock Technics SL1300 mk2 that I want to use for quad. Don't know if it has the low cap cables. I have a Bose 4401 preamp that I want to use that has CD-4 and SQ decoders in it. Is there a currently made cartridge that will do CD-4 playback?

wiztom

Post by wiztom » 17 Jul 2019 21:05

I obtained a NOS JVC 4MD-20X. I have not explored other options. I have seen some conversations regarding that subject in the forums however. You might try a search.

Regards

circularvibes
long player
long player

Post by circularvibes » 18 Jul 2019 02:15

I use an Audio Technica AT440mlb for CD4 playback with great results. I have heard rumours that the current AT VM95 series with a Shibata or line contact tip will also work.

KentT
long player
long player

Post by KentT » 18 Jul 2019 18:19

JoeE SP9 wrote:
17 Mar 2019 19:54
CD-4 and QS/SQ are two completely different systems. Both are lumped together as quadrophonic. However, they are very different. A CD-4 decoder and the appropriate LP's are a true discrete four channel (quad) system. SQ and QD are matrix based systems much like Dolby Pro Logic.

AFAIK Sansui receivers did not decode CD-4 LP's. They were made for QS and SQ (matrixed) encoded LP's. Decoding CD-4 LP's was pretty much a JVC thing. It requires a CD-4 decoder to produce the four discrete channels that are on CD-4 LP's.

For those that are interested, a Dolby Pro Logic decoder does a fairly decent job decoding and playing QS and SQ encoded LP's. Many LP's were SQ/QS encoded but don't say so. Give them a listen using Pro Logic. Make up your own mind.

The Sansui Variomatrix QS system was the better of the two matrix systems although there wasn't a great deal of difference between them. Most of the other manufacturers used SQ.
The Sansui QRX 7500A, and the QRX 9100 had CD4 decoders, and QS Vario-Matrix decoding and SQ decoding as standard. So, yes, they decode all the above, and handle discrete tape. For CD-4, a low mass arm is necessary, low capacitance tonearm wiring, and accurate antiskating is a must. A cartridge with 45 Khz frequency response is necessary, and a Shibata or Quadrahedron stylus is required. The Audio-Technica Micro-Line styli are reported to do fine with CD-4.

JoeE SP9
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by JoeE SP9 » 18 Jul 2019 19:14

trainer wrote:
17 Jul 2019 20:45
I have a stock Technics SL1300 mk2 that I want to use for quad. Don't know if it has the low cap cables. I have a Bose 4401 preamp that I want to use that has CD-4 and SQ decoders in it. Is there a currently made cartridge that will do CD-4 playback?
Cartridges for CD-4 playback need a frequency response that goes beyond 40KHz. I would imagine Shibata tipped cartridges would be where to start looking. The Shibata stylus was invented to play CD-4 LP's.

The Audio Technica AT F-3 has a reported frequency response of 15Hz to 50KHz. Although it's a low output moving coil cartridge it may be worth investigating. Of course you'd need a head amp or an SUT.

Your real problem will be finding CD-4 recordings.

Pauw
Netherlands

Post by Pauw » 18 Jul 2019 21:48

Your real problem will be finding CD-4 recordings.......Yes I agree in the many years since these were issued I can count on the fingers of one hand the number I have seen and even if you find them, they have got to be in very good condition.....that suggest quite a bit of expense.

scrapjack+

Post by scrapjack+ » 22 Jul 2019 02:27

Pauw wrote:
18 Jul 2019 21:48
Your real problem will be finding CD-4 recordings.......Yes I agree in the many years since these were issued I can count on the fingers of one hand the number I have seen and even if you find them, they have got to be in very good condition.....that suggest quite a bit of expense.
I've come across a few at my local thrift store, usually one at a time, they seem to be slightly less common than SQ records that are much less common than the EV-4 records. I have yet to see a QS or Dynaquad record in the wild. I think I have all but 6 EV-4 records just from checking the thrift shops, not that many were made. Where I am Non EV-4 quad records are only slightly harder to come by than non-Elvis rock n' roll records, or about as common as 7" 45's. To be clear, it can be months between arrivals, but they do show up occasionally. Apparently this is where country albums come to die. I've noticed that while most records that come in have disintegrating jackets, the quad records tend to be in great shape, when they do show up. Since they are priced like everything else on the shelf, I haven't turned one down yet. :D