Which SME arm I've got ?

snap, crackle and pop
georgesgiralt
France

Which SME arm I've got ?

Post by georgesgiralt » 15 Mar 2019 17:04

Hello,
My late brother had a second hand 3009 SME arm in it's grey plastic box for years, planning to make a turntable. Project which never took place.
I got the arm and I can't tell exactly which one it is. It has a detachable head shell a metallic guard for the cueing piston and no marks on the transverse axe holding the VTF wheight.
The electrical connector is like the old one,but the base has a shield ....
I'm puzzled.
Add to this that the rear tube holding the counter weight is unglued and that the electrical connector is in "bad shape" ...
So I've some questions :
1) What kind of glue could I use to put the tube back in order ?
2) Should I must buy a new connector or can I solder (properly, I'm good at it) the existing wires back in place ?
3) Is the cover for the connector mandatory ?
5) And last but not least, what is the FD2014 cartridge seating compound and how is it used ? The one I have seems to have suffered of old age...
Many thanks for your help !
Have a nice day.
Attachments
IMG_20190315_174721.jpg
(151.96 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
IMG_20190315_174807.jpg
(132.26 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
IMG_20190315_174822.jpg
(92.02 KiB) Downloaded 211 times

Pikey
England

Re: Which SME arm I've got ?

Post by Pikey » 15 Mar 2019 18:58

This is probably the best page to start with ...

http://www.analogue-classics.com/html/s ... _3012.html

A thin 'layer' of cartridge seating compound would have gone between the cartridge and the headshell mounting face ... should you have needed it to dampen any odd resonances.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 16 Mar 2019 00:29

Looks like an SME3009 Series II. I have one just the same.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 16 Mar 2019 00:39

There is an identification guide here, along with a slew of manuals: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sme/3009.shtml

Cheers,
Alec

Petroc46
Great Britain

Post by Petroc46 » 16 Mar 2019 01:32

You have what looks like a SME 3009 series II 'non-improved'. There's a manual here in French for an early version and an English language manual for a later version that's slightly more similar to yours. If you download the service manual you will find the instructions for fixing the elastic coupling rubber on service sheet 25. You need to use a cyanoacrylate glue. If the rubber has deteriorated replacements can be obtained online.

New cables and connectors are not particularly cheap so it's probably best to test the cable you already have initially. It looks like the earth cable is missing though. The cover is just for protection.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 16 Mar 2019 07:37

Petroc46 wrote:
16 Mar 2019 01:32

New cables and connectors are not particularly cheap so it's probably best to test the cable you already have initially. It looks like the earth cable is missing though. The cover is just for protection.
I am not a fan of the connectors they use. They fall off easily. You can get an replacement bottom board that has RCA connectors, or you can hard wire a new cable direct to it.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 16 Mar 2019 13:25

Thank you all for your answers.
I bet the Super Glue will be put at use !
I wonder where I can find parts outside the SME repair center ? My initial search on the Web came out empty.
Have a nice week end.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 19 Mar 2019 10:26

Well,
I asked SME for the connector and the wires.
Here are their answer.... "Not particularly cheap" is correct ...

Dear Georges,
Thank you for your enquiry;
Unfortunately original pattern audio leads for these older models. We do offer a conversion kit which requires some soldering to fit the small wires. The kit including new matching audio cable is priced at £395.38 + delivery.
Regards,
Brian Laker
Service Manager

I think I'll replace the cables with new good one and solder on the old connector after cleaning it...

simonineaston
Great Britain

Post by simonineaston » 19 Mar 2019 10:30

I bet the Super Glue will be put at use !
Noooooooooooohhhhh!!
Seriously, there's a good "rebuild picture story" for these pick-up arms I read recently - I'll see if I can remember where it is.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 19 Mar 2019 12:47

georgesgiralt wrote:
19 Mar 2019 10:26
I think I'll replace the cables with new good one and solder on the old connector after cleaning it...
You can find adapters kit on e bay :
https://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... t&_sacat=0

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 20 Mar 2019 08:50

Hello,
I would like to repair the arm instead of modifying it.
But I need to find decent wire to rewire the RCA plugs and connect to the old connector.
Do you have a source of quality cables but not audiophile overpriced ones ?
TIA

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 20 Mar 2019 09:24

That would be an upgrade, if a modification. The RCA connectors were present on the later Series III.
Then you could plug any phono cable, this one for instance with the connector of your choice :
https://www.thomann.de/fr/pro_snake_phono_line.htm
(no affiliation, as usual...)

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 20 Mar 2019 12:31

georgesgiralt wrote:
20 Mar 2019 08:50
Hello,
I would like to repair the arm instead of modifying it.
But I need to find decent wire to rewire the RCA plugs and connect to the old connector.
Do you have a source of quality cables but not audiophile overpriced ones ?
TIA
That is very wise. Restore it first and to hear how it sounds to you. I'd even suggest since you have the solder at hand to re-solder (clean the solder points before) the initial wires and cables. And change maybe later to seek for upgrades if ever. DO NOT use hard glue for the counter weight stub as the "rubber" needs to be replaced from time to time.

First get use to it "as is". I am not picky as I am with my records for my gear to be or look like it was originally made. My gear was bought half second hand (or third hand) and so got already fiddled with. Tight on budget I was forced to tweak slowly, step-by-step, to reach what expensive gear would have given instantly me but with money.

With patience and humility ( :wink: ), came virtue ( [-o< ) and a better understanding from the inside of my SME tonearm and Thorens turntable. I've done a rewire at one time to find little improvement over the old original ones. But the recabling proved fantastic. Evidently I could have first tried to replace the old corroded RCA jacks.

But I took a 1 meter male 2 male shielded low capacitance audio cable (still in it's pack) that was given to me (retail value €50 or so but equivalent Polish build cables can be found for €15) and cut off one end to solder it in place of the old SME cable. Improvement was evident. And I kept the original 4 pin bar connector for capacitance coherent reason.

Worked out with hot glue and tape to keep the solders of the cable to the connector's bar rigid enough not to break since I don't have that "triangular" enclosure. And we put an elastic band to hold it in place on the tonearm base. Not forgetting to pull out a tonearm ground wire. My new cable is rather rigid which helps to keep the connector in place.

Do you have the little anti-skate weight for this SME ? I don't see it in the picture. It's an important feature to run your cartridges on it.

georgesgiralt
France

Post by georgesgiralt » 20 Mar 2019 12:42

Hello Tiscapital
Yes I've the little anti-skating weight. The arm is complete. only the original protractor is missing (but it has been reproduced by hand on the installation card).
The wiring appears to be original, having been re-soldered a couple of times (at least for the earthing wire)

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 20 Mar 2019 18:04

OK, so if I'd were you, I'd simply solder every thing back in place and get use to it 'sonic signature' as is.

The cartridge seating compound 'FD2040' seems to be a mounting plate for what I can see of it.