snap, crackle and pop
lenjack
long player
long player

Re: Another Very Unconventional Turntable

Post by lenjack » 02 Mar 2019 17:26

JDJX wrote:
02 Mar 2019 15:52
Yeah, it's just another trying to "reinvent the wheel" idea.

It's just a modern version of a vertical drive / playback record player like which used to be on many juke boxes .

BTW, keep in mind that any vertical record player must use a spring to set tracking force which is not as reliable as gravity. :)
I guess then, you could operate it upside down. Also, note the long development timeline. Better to get it right than to get it quick, I suppose.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 02 Mar 2019 17:57

We had a lot time to get steam engines "right" Perhaps we should invests in new stem powered cars?

Perhaps we should go back to wire recorders?

The point is, some things are better left in the past as much better ways of doing them are available. :)

Woodbrains
England

Post by Woodbrains » 02 Mar 2019 21:31

chgc wrote:
02 Mar 2019 16:12
(And what's wrong with "a single piece of laminated mahogany?")
Hello,

It is an oxymoron. By nature laminations are several pieces. It is like saying it is a single piece of composite material. It might be structurally advantageous to laminate, I understand that, but it is nonsense saying it is a single piece of laminated wood. It is laminated wood, period. The notion that there is one item made from the the multiple parts should be assumed, there is one tonearm.

Mike.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 02 Mar 2019 23:59

tlscapital wrote:
02 Mar 2019 12:34
Jim Leach wrote:
02 Mar 2019 11:34
How do you cue up a specific song?
There you go trying to be the smart ass killing the overall enthusiasm around innovative futuristic technology... LOL ! :wink:
Dad always told me: better a smart ass than a dumb ass.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 03 Mar 2019 00:01

JDJX wrote:
02 Mar 2019 17:57
We had a lot time to get steam engines "right" Perhaps we should invests in new stem powered cars?

Perhaps we should go back to wire recorders?

The point is, some things are better left in the past as much better ways of doing them are available. :)
We did refine steam- the steam turbine. Much more efficient than reciprocating pistons.

Nuclear reactor boils water-> steam spins turbine-> turbine spins generator.

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 03 Mar 2019 00:05

apples and oranges... :)

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 03 Mar 2019 02:55

This will be the Mark 2 version. https://www.pinterest.es/pin/177470041535784150/

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 03 Mar 2019 04:03

lenjack wrote:
03 Mar 2019 02:55
This will be the Mark 2 version. https://www.pinterest.es/pin/177470041535784150/
Oh, that's choice!
:lol:

chgc

Post by chgc » 03 Mar 2019 04:15

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 03 Mar 2019 04:34

I wonder if one could make this tt also levitate... it would be much more "wheely" then...
...and i just can´t help myself but i think it really lacks some fancy led-lighting...

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 03 Mar 2019 15:03

Yes...Combine the Wheel and the Maglev.

smee4
long player
long player

Post by smee4 » 04 Mar 2019 00:06

One plus, is if the tonearm works properly, it's essentially a linear tracker. No tracking error should allow the elliptical stylus to perform well.

H. callahan

Post by H. callahan » 05 Mar 2019 05:39

Well, yes, but the arm is rather short. The shorter a linear arm the harder to compensate for tracking error. And judging from the one picture of the arm it rather looks like an air-bearing-desing, without the air. I cannot see any drive mechanism of the linear arm which *might* mean it is moved by the groove itself. Such a design should be very prone to dust and dirt.
Furthermore i have a "bad feeling" about warped records.
I think its inconvenient to clean a record with a brush. You only can clean the top of the record, then you have to flip it over to play the cleaned side. I don´t see any real contact of the record to a mat. The underside of the record must be freely accessible to the tonearm, so you cannot use a mat - unless you are able to put the mat on top of the record during replay.
Not being able to change the cartridge at all, even not for another AT95E because each cartridge is individually matched to each tonearm, is a real drawback. Even if this tt does perform well it will be limited to a AT95E.
Having just one center stick for every control, including even volume, is kinda stupid to me. Is there any display for what control your just controling? Or do you have to "morse-code" with that stick? Like one click is power on, two clicks is power off, three clicks is one step louder, four clicks is one step lesser volume etc. ?
Such a kind of control would be totally confusing to me and its way better to have several buttons obvioulsy showing which function is controlled by what button. I think this "center stick" will be the first thing to break on this tt, by misuse or deterioration.
Record clamps probably cannot be used and the guides for the linear arm are very close to the motor/spindle. So vibrations really could be a problem - and they don´t state any rumble figures.
They do state though w+f as <0.05% which would be very good, especially if considering w+f of todays new tts;
but skipping through their kickstarter-page this project was meant to be finished in oct. 2017. That´s when the tts were meant to be delivered.
Did they make it at all to put out some of these?

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 05 Mar 2019 06:11

These "kickstarter" inventions all seem to be laden with dazzling "new" designs by fresh out of college bozos looking to make a buck.
It's "the new way" of attempting to survive after now owing tuitions and not hooking up with that promised dream job to pay it all back.

Just like those fancy "Bombas socks" commercials by young college nerds, and that "MVMT watches" couple of college drop-outs, and there are others....
They all have gained reputations of selling junk, with hoardes of complaints.

To those young entrepreneurs, sorry your college didn't net you the dream you thought you'd get, but stop pitching the crap, and get a real job.
Perhaps all those beer-keg frat parties interfered with your studies and concentration ......LOL! :lol: :lol:

chgc

Post by chgc » 05 Mar 2019 10:13

Judging by the thick and inflexible looking tonearm wire, it would seem that the tonearm isn’t meant to be advanced by the groove itself. I assume that the infrared sensor is supposed to enable some sort of drive mechanism to accurately advance the stylus, but the Kickstarter page seems to lack pictures or any description of a tonearm drive mechanism. While such a mechanism would be genuinely innovative, in my opinion, I’m afraid the project does smell rather strongly of vaporware.