help with mounting hinge plates accurately

snap, crackle and pop
rtrt

help with mounting hinge plates accurately

Post by rtrt » 24 Feb 2019 13:25

Have finally decided to mount the Reloop 7000 cover I bought some time ago, onto my Pioneer PLX-1000 and would like some tips / to benefit from those more experienced at drilling their tables. I'd really like to get this right first time, as there won't be a second time to get it right...

Thoughts so far;

1. When the cover is down, I'd guess I want a small gap at the rear between the top of the table and the bottom of the cover - say 1, 2, 3 mm / 1/16th to 1/8th inch maybe?

2. Supplied screws are not pointed, so I'd need to drill small pilot hole for each screw and go deep enough / all the way through the plinth. Use a drill bit or find a similar sized pointed screw and use that to create the hole?

3. Whats the best way to make sure the hinge plates are level and so the cover is level when installed?

4. Hinge plate is hard plastic and so I 'feel' like mounting directly to the coated surface of the plinth, might end up with the plates moving with the weight of the cover. Something thin and rubber like in between?

Tools I have access to- but happy to source others if recommended.

- Standard DIY drill - too big / clumsy for the job?
- Dremel - this a better bet?
- Wood/Steel bits - 1mm up
- 10 inch spirit level - feels a bit too big to be useful - except to prove it's all gone wrong afterwards!
- Small bubble level - not sure how I'd use it

Jim Leach
United States of America

Re: help with mounting hinge plates accurately

Post by Jim Leach » 24 Feb 2019 22:06

If you have two or more screws per hinge, they shouldn’t move around. Forget the rubber gasket.

Get shims (washers are good) to set the cover on for the gap. But it’s probably quite small. Maybe thick paper would do.

Put a layer of masking tape on the plinth where you plan to drill. Drill in steps- very small for the initial pilot; just under final diameter, and then final size. This minimizes chipping and keeps the bit from walking. You may use a small nail to center punch the location. But, marking with a felt tip marker should be good.

So, what’s the final diameter to drill? Well, if you don’t have calipers to measure the minor diameter of the screws, hold the screws up to the light. You can see the minor diameter at the root of the threads. Lay a drill bit over this in the light to match up diameter of the minor. Then go slightly smaller. This way the threads bite in but the center “shaft “ of the screw is essentially pressed in. If it’s *too* tight, go slightly larger with the drill. This is sturdy, and won’t shift but holes need to be placed accurately.

Mark and re- check with the cover *three* times. Replace the tape and re mark if needed until you get three out of three for location.

Drill, as straight as possible. This means disassemble the table and fixture it so you can drill straight down- really straight. A drill press would be better, but if you’re careful you can do it. Don’t try to drill it sitting on top of your rig or table.

Carefully remove tape after drilling. Soap the screws and drive in with a good fitting driver. Enjoy!

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 25 Feb 2019 00:29

Thank you Jim - appreciate the thoughts and additional info.

I plan to do it over next couple of nights and will update when all done.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 25 Feb 2019 00:53

It’s like doing a good paint job: 99% prep; 1% painting.

But your going to be looking at this “paint” for a long time...

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 28 Feb 2019 22:09

Well I wanted to report back the successful attachment of the hinge plates, installation of hinges and a cover that removes the only frustration I had with my PLX. I used the tips from Jim above (especially the take great care part) with a couple of exceptions - one of which I'm not proud of!

Looking closely I noticed that the lower plinth, where I'd mount the plates is 1-2 mm smaller all round than the top plinth. That would've mean the installation of the hinge tabs into the plates would have been 'jammed' against the upper plinth. So I decided to use the rubber anyway to 'build out' the hinge plates the 1-2mm - seems to have worked well enough.

Next the confession - I used the drill horizontally with the deck on my current table, despite Jims dire (and well founded) warnings above - I was too keen to get going to prepare to do it properly! I seemed to get away with it, so alls well that ends well there. I used the drill and not the Dremel as I didn't have a collet to use a small enough drill bit. I used a 1mm to drill a pilot, then a screw with a point to create the larger holes for the blunt / self tappers supplied with the cover. End result is the plates feel pretty solid and I don't expect them to move.

If anyone else is thinking about the same project for their PLX, then I'd summarise the final look of the table with the new cover as 95-98% perfect...

First the positive, the Reloop cover's about 1 cm shorter (in height) than the Pioneer, with the exception of a Technics SL1200 style 'bubble' above the tonearm pivot and as a result I think looks better proportioned than the original Pioneer. Obviously the bubble may make / break it for you. The Reloop's a perfect fit width wise. There are no height / arm clearance / spare head shell clearance issues - with my head shells at least. The subtle smoked colouring is a good match and I have a cunning plan to deal with the Reloop badge on the top - more later if successful.

Then the negative & where the -2 to 5% comes in, is that it's about 3-4mm shallower (front to back) than the original cover / top of the deck. So it's noticeable in that whilst it's perfectly aligned on both sides and at the back, it leaves those 3-4mm exposed at the front, if you're familiar with the Pioneer cover, but in isolation and in my opinion is absolutely fine. After a day or 2 I'd say you'd not notice it - except you'll need to dust there sooner or later :-)

Plan to cross post this to the PLX-1000 thread on the Pioneer sub forum - hope that's ok.

Jim Leach
United States of America

Post by Jim Leach » 01 Mar 2019 00:33

Good job. How about a few photos?

rtrt

Post by rtrt » 01 Mar 2019 12:40

I was hoping that wouldn't come up - my room/environment isn't too great at the moment, so I'll need to see if I can take some close ups that avoid any embarrassing shots of dust & untidiness :-)

Edit
Missed that I can't upload directly in the post it seems. Seems linking to the gallery is ok - so can I post some on the gallery?