surface noise on pristine looking record

snap, crackle and pop
milford moore

surface noise on pristine looking record

Post by milford moore » 22 Feb 2019 19:52

Hello, All

Recently I purchased a near mint LP - vintage. Not a new pressing - that I have been looking for for some time. The vinyl looks pristine. However, a little to my dismay, there is a fair bit of surface noise on the disc. Has anybody else ever experienced this? I gave the record a wet cleaning and that helped a little. Now, our house is very dry at this time of the year - about 25% humidity. Perhaps static is the problem - although it doesn't sound to me like static. Any thoughts?

Cheers!
milford moore

Pretorius
United States of America

Re: surface noise on pristine looking record

Post by Pretorius » 22 Feb 2019 21:06

Could be groove damage from being played on a bad or poorly set up turntable. I have bought records in such condition. A well taken care of record that was abused by bad equipment.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 22 Feb 2019 21:32

It could ambient noise from the recording, and not really surface noise from the record. Do you have a digital version of the album for comparison?

milford moore

Post by milford moore » 22 Feb 2019 22:33

Hello, Pretorius and jdjohn

Thanks for your replies. I do not have a digital version of the recording for comparison but I suspect Pretorius is correct. "A well taken care of record that was abused by bad equipment". Still, it's in better shape than the other copy I had.
Speaking of "noise on records": does anybody have any experience of anti-static cloths - the kind that one would buy at a photo shop? Camera buffs use them to clean lenses, negatives, etc. Such a cloth was recommended to me but I'm leery of wiping an LP with any sort of dry cloth. (I use a carbon fibre brush).
Again, thanks for the input.

cheers,
milford moore

ravelax
Sweden

Post by ravelax » 22 Feb 2019 22:39

You could look at the record under a bright lamp, that usually lets you see how much dust there's in the grooves. Even a record that looks pristine in normal lighting can reveal itself to be quite dusty when looked at under a bright LED or similar. As for cleaning, sometimes two or three can be necessary.

Regarding cloths, in my experience carbon fiber brushes work better. But maybe I just haven't found the right cloth.

milford moore

Post by milford moore » 22 Feb 2019 22:48

Thanks ravelax. I'll have a close look and maybe give the record another wet cleaning.

milford moore

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 23 Feb 2019 02:15

I would not use a cleaning cloth, it will push the dirt around the record.
A carbon-fibre brush, or other quality record-cleaning brush would be a better option.

Solist
Slovenia

Post by Solist » 23 Feb 2019 10:13

Sometimes you will get surface noise, even with new vinyl.

When buying used there is always a risk the grooves are damaged, even if the lp looks mint. This is mostly caused by poor cartridge setup by the previous owner.

Happened the same to me a couple of times.

If you want to clean it by yourself use distilled water, otherwise you will fill the grooves with all kind of stuff. Or check if any vinyl shop has a vinyl cleaner, they usually dont charge much to clean them.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 23 Feb 2019 12:42

I am cleaning even new records first time before playing with a vinyl cleaner. Old records, when I buy them first clean them with a mixture of home-brew alcohol and distilled water, then also vinyl cleaner. But if grooves are damaged, this cannot Help.

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 23 Feb 2019 14:31

I have a set of records (a Wagner opera) I bought new in the early 80's and listen to a certain number of times. They were perfect, at the time. Two weeks ago, I played some and discovered with horror the records were full of pops, every ten or so seconds.
Knowing the records have been kept the same way that my whole collection, I wonder what has caused this degradation. Each record is in a outer paper sleeve, doubled by a inner plastic one. The label is Philips.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 23 Feb 2019 15:17

bernard1 wrote:
23 Feb 2019 14:31
I have a set of records (a Wagner opera) I bought new in the early 80's and listen to a certain number of times. They were perfect, at the time. Two weeks ago, I played some and discovered with horror the records were full of pops, every ten or so seconds.
Knowing the records have been kept the same way that my whole collection, I wonder what has caused this degradation. Each record is in a outer paper sleeve, doubled by a inner plastic one. The label is Philips.
If you didn`t lend them to someone, there canot be anything. Vinyl doesn`t degrade by itself through time, because it is a plastic material. Maybe just some dirt in grooves and after that time it would be a good idea to send them for vacuum cleaning. I havel also some Philips releases, older than me and they sound like new.

milford moore

Post by milford moore » 23 Feb 2019 15:55

Thanks to all for your input. As I said earlier I reckon that - as mentioned by a couple of folks here - that the problem is/was that the LP was played on a turntable with a crappy cartridge/stylus or an improperly aligned cartridge/stylus. Then again, as soloist says, "even new records can have surface noise".

Cheers!
milford moore

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 23 Feb 2019 16:05

Wet cleaning should always involve a rinse step as well...or a vacuum. The cleaning solution will suspend the debris in solution, but then it has to be removed via either a distilled water rinse, or a vacuum. Otherwise, the debris just gets pushed around, and will remain once the solution evaporates.

dysmike
Germany

Post by dysmike » 23 Feb 2019 17:43

jdjohn wrote:
23 Feb 2019 16:05
Wet cleaning should always involve a rinse step as well...or a vacuum. The cleaning solution will suspend the debris in solution, but then it has to be removed via either a distilled water rinse, or a vacuum. Otherwise, the debris just gets pushed around, and will remain once the solution evaporates.
Even with a vacuum, I rinse and it makes a noticeable difference.

chgc

Post by chgc » 01 Mar 2019 10:35

I’ve found that a few of my used record acquisitions sound awful even though they look pretty good, some maybe even “near mint.” I suspect that these records were played dirty many times and then put through an ultrasonic or other effective cleaner. But the groove damage was done.