Issue with New Cartridge

the thin end of the wedge
MikeFaulkner

Issue with New Cartridge

Post by MikeFaulkner » 21 Feb 2019 20:36

Hi. Long time reader, first time poster. Hopefully someone can Help me out with this problem

I took delivery recently of an Ortofon MC Quintet Red to replace my ageing Ortofon Vivo Blue MC (which has been sent back to take advantage of Ortofon's exchange program) Installation was very straightforward and as per the instructions but am left with a low level annoying hum. Here is the detail and what I have done so far:

The Hum, if I can try to describe it, seems to be out of phase, in that it is clearly audible if i stand in front of each speaker, but fades into nothing as i move back toward the listening position. The TT is a pre 2012 model and so is fed with an AC/AC adaptor.

System as shown below and there was no hum on previous cartridge. The hum is only there when the stylus is on the record and the TT is turning, It is very noticeable when on lead in and out. The ground wire runs from TT to Phono Pre Amp. I have tried removing it (no Difference) attaching it to Pre Amp (No Diff) attaching it to both PPA and PA (No diff) and attaching to Mains earth and combinations above with no change.

I have checked the wiring of the TT and everything seems to be checking out, including the arm ground lead.

Phono Pre Amp switches are in the correct position (there are only 2 options MC/MM and Rumble filter(No Diff) and MC is selected) I have borrowed another Ortofon MC Cartridge which plays without any hum

Sound quality is as it should be apart from this hum. I'm beginning to wonder if it is a defective cartridge, but before I contact the retailer i thought I'd post on here to see if there is anything else I could try.

Thanks in anticipation.

andybeau
long player
long player
England

Re: Issue with New Cartridge

Post by andybeau » 21 Feb 2019 21:56

I had a Quintet Blue on a modified Rega P3-24 with no hum. I think you should send back for replacement.
Should sound good when you get a good one.
Good luck

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 22 Feb 2019 02:25

If you have, or can borrow, another mc cart, temporarily hook it up to check if it does the same. If not, your new red Quintet is faulty.

MikeFaulkner

Post by MikeFaulkner » 22 Feb 2019 08:21

Thanks guys, I tried a Ortofon MC Vivo Red last night and there were no hum issues, so I rather suspect a faulty cart. Will contact supplier today.

Boltman92124

Post by Boltman92124 » 22 Feb 2019 17:31

Does the hum increase in volume if you turn up the volume?

MikeFaulkner

Post by MikeFaulkner » 22 Feb 2019 19:09

Hi Boltman, yes it does.

Vinylfreak86
long player
long player

Post by Vinylfreak86 » 22 Feb 2019 20:07

Maybe something is wrong with grounding of a turntable. Some carts are more sensitive tha others.

MikeFaulkner

Post by MikeFaulkner » 22 Feb 2019 21:05

Thanks for the reply Vinylfreaks86. As mentioned in the OP, the TT is well grounded and has been tested on various ground points. Obviously, if there is something else I could try then I'd be interested to hear it.

kalaur

Post by kalaur » 23 Feb 2019 20:57

Double and triple check the connections on the back of the cart. Almost seems like the cartridge is miswired. Verify the colors on the back of your cart with the manual and with photos from ortofon.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 23 Feb 2019 23:44

I think he has done all this. Almost surely, a defective cart.

theclosetguy
United States of America

Post by theclosetguy » 23 Feb 2019 23:53

Just had an issue of hum pop up with my Ortofon Quintet Mono. The Quintet Bronze was fine. Yesterday all was good. Today It hummed. It is connected up to a SUT and then to the phono pre. I ended up changing the grounding strapping switch setting and it disappeared. How it became more sensitive over night is a mystery but one that was resolved.

MikeFaulkner

Post by MikeFaulkner » 24 Feb 2019 19:36

Thanks for the replies, Yes I have checked the wiring at the back of the cart (many times) and all is ok. The supplier has very kindly arranged a representative from Ortofon/Pro-Ject to call round to my flat on Wednesday to try and resolve the problem. I do, very much, suspect a faulty Cartridge. I will report what happens, thank you to everyone for the input.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 24 Feb 2019 19:55

Super service from your supplier. Very impressive. =D>

MikeFaulkner

Post by MikeFaulkner » 27 Feb 2019 18:01

Just a quick update on this issue. It is not yet resolved, but a very pleasant chap from Henley Audio (The distributor) visited me this afternoon and ran some tests on my set up. Initially he thought the problem was the cartridge picking up the motor noise but ran a test where he switched off the motor and allowed the stylus to rest on his fingertip, the hum was still there. He has concluded that there is either a very weird incompatibly issue between that cartridge, my TT arm and TT or that it is indeed a faulty cartridge.

He admitted he had never seen a problem like this before, but has taken the Cartridge away with him to test on another TT with a promise to resolve the issue.

I've got to say through this I have had super support from the seller, Acoustica in Chester UK and the Distributor Henley Audio, again in UK.

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 27 Feb 2019 23:47

Unfortunate that you didn't have another turntable available on the spot.