stylus record contact with cue up

snap, crackle and pop
Audionaut
United States of America

stylus record contact with cue up

Post by Audionaut » 21 Feb 2019 18:41

I'm sure this has been covered but I'm new to this, I hope someone can help.

Recently I got a Rega RP3 without a cartridge and installed a Nagaoka MP-110 without a spacer because Google didn't convince me the spacer was pertinent at first and because, frankly, I have no clue what I'm doing, I simply figure it out as I go.

Not on too many, but a decent amount, let's say about 20% of my records, when the cue lever is raised the stylus will make contact with the record in parts as per the wobble of the record, even worse the closer to the center the stylus gets.

Is this typical with a somewhat wobbly record or is this a result of no spacer. Perhaps blaming it on a spacer doesn't even make sense, like I said, I'm not sure what I'm doing half the time. Please help me out.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Re: stylus record contact with cue up

Post by Alec124c41 » 21 Feb 2019 18:48

Put a spacer in.
The lifter should raise the stylus a couple of millimeters above the record surface, with the arm level. The arm comes set for Rega cartridges, which are shorter than many others.
If you have the 3-point arm mount, you can put a couple of washers under each foot. Cheap and easy.

Cheers,
Alec

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 21 Feb 2019 19:25

The Rega arm's cueing device has an adjustment at the front. You can loosen the small hex screw and carefully lift the crescent-shaped part a millimetre or so, then tighten the screw. This will increase the distance between the raised stylus and the record by a considerable amount - the effect is amplified at the headshell end of the arm.

If the first attempt doesn't increase the distance enough, repeat the process.

HTH

Mark

Audionaut
United States of America

Post by Audionaut » 22 Feb 2019 02:34

I don't know anything about how to install spacers but since I have no removable headshell I'm assuming I have to use a spacer for the tonearm.

I'll look into it but a quick search didn't yield any results and I'll be busy for the entirety of the next three days at work. Can anyone tell me if there's anything more complicated to removing a tonearm other than simply unscrewing and adding washers/spacers and screwing it back on? I know it's delicate but I'm talking in terms of alignment.

Thanks

Audionaut
United States of America

Post by Audionaut » 22 Feb 2019 02:45

Also will the lack of spacer cause the stylus to damage the record more than under ideal conditions?

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 22 Feb 2019 03:16

I would be more concerned about possible damage to the stylus of your cartridge, although your records could suffer damage as well depending on the angle of impact of the stylus. Neither is desirable....take the advice given and increase the space between stylus and record, with arm horizontal to the platter. Take your time and pay attention to the steps so you can reverse when reassembling. Use only enough force to free then tighten the hardware after installing the washers/spacers. :)

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Feb 2019 03:25

That is the simplest. Unscrew the 3 screws holding the tonearm to the base, slide in a couple of small washers, and replace the screw, 3 times.

Cheers,
Alec

Audionaut
United States of America

Post by Audionaut » 22 Feb 2019 14:10

So to be clear there's no surprise complications? No alignment issues? Just unscrew, don't break anything, add spacer and screw back on and voila good as new?

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 22 Feb 2019 16:15

Audionaut wrote:
22 Feb 2019 14:10
So to be clear there's no surprise complications? No alignment issues? Just unscrew, don't break anything, add spacer and screw back on and voila good as new?
That's about it. There is not much movement possible around those screws.

Cheers,
Alec

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 23 Feb 2019 01:27

I think the discussion is confusing two different aspects.

1. The cue not lifting the tonearm high enough. As noted above, there should be an adjustment for the height of the cue rest (the horizontal bar that touches underneath the tonearm to support it when it is raised). Raise it and the arm will lift higher. Or put something on the bar to make it taller (eg. a thin piece of plastic).

2. The cartridge VTA. When the record is playing, the arm should be horizontal, so the cartridge positions the angle of the stylus/cantilever to the record correctly. Some tonearms can adjust the mounting height. If the arm points downwards towards the stylus, either lower the arm height or put a spacer between the cart and headshell. If the arm points upwards towards the styus, the arm needs to be raised, and the washers under the arm mount might work.

Audionaut
United States of America

Post by Audionaut » 23 Feb 2019 10:34

I may have both issues. I can't deal with it until Monday I work the entire weekend nonstop. Thanks for pointing the distinction out.