Cartridge alignment

snap, crackle and pop
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Cartridge alignment

Post by DarthMaul » 18 Feb 2019 16:59

If a cartridge in an SME 3009 Series III headshell is perfectly aligned with a protractor’s grid but not perfectly aligned with the non-adjustable holes in the headshell (not parallel), is readjustment needed?

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Cartridge alignment

Post by Pauw » 18 Feb 2019 17:33

If you are aligned with the protractor then I believe you are fine.....the real test is to take an album with a highly recorded choir with crescendos on the last inner track and see if that sounds OK. :D

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 18 Feb 2019 17:56

No. It does not matter if the cart is not square with the head shell, if you are aligned with the grid.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 18 Feb 2019 18:21

DarthMaul wrote:
18 Feb 2019 16:59
If a cartridge in an SME 3009 Series III headshell is perfectly aligned with a protractor’s grid but not perfectly aligned with the non-adjustable holes in the headshell (not parallel), is readjustment needed?
If you are using the SME protractor, with a headshell with holes, not slots, the cartridge should be straight in the headshell, and the sliding arm-base used to get the match with the protractor grid.
If you are using a headshell with slots, then alignment with a 2-point protractor might result in a slight angle. That is acceptable.

Cheers,
Alec

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 19 Feb 2019 00:09

Alec124c41 wrote:
18 Feb 2019 18:21
DarthMaul wrote:
18 Feb 2019 16:59
If you are using the SME protractor, with a headshell with holes, not slots, the cartridge should be straight in the headshell, and the sliding arm-base used to get the match with the protractor grid.
If you are using a headshell with slots, then alignment with a 2-point protractor might result in a slight angle. That is acceptable.

Cheers,
Alec
That was exactly what I needed to do so I fixed the problem with the cartridge's position in the headshell. Merely having it on the grid properly wasn't enough. I noticed a ton of improvement in difficult tracks on my classical albums. Even the Mouret Rondeau on a 1A stamper copy of "Greatest Hits of 1720" didn't distort nearly as much and sounded much clearer. (One peak still distorted but less audibly, and I had to put an ear near the right speaker to hear it. The 1D stamper copy won't distort on that track.) I'm going to see how many hours of play I used on my stylus and redo my vinyl listening sessions from the start if I feel up to it.

On a second note, I tested the innermost track of Side 3 of "Barockfestival" by I Musici. No distortion! If that track sounds clear as a bell, I'm good to go, right? It's loud and near the label. That one tipped me off that something wasn't right earlier when it distorted, which it should not. I also am willing to bet the Command records will sound better too.

Edit: When I looked at the cantilever when it was on the dot on the protractor, it looked like a straight line when the center line was straight in my view. Sound is really good right now, better than it had been.

By the way, the SRA is already at 92 degrees and I was careful enough to not have to re-level the turntable. (I never budged it by accident when checking the stylus alignment.)

I have an estimate of at least 234 hours of music will be played from my classical records alone. Not planning on playing the non-classical records, hardly ever if I do. A few other classical records will get played, so the play time may get bumped up to 240 hours in addition to the first 25 or 26. Still not a big deal if the cartridge is set up right.

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 19 Feb 2019 05:29

Sounds like you got it right.

Cheers,
Alec