Tone arm dropping quickly!

snap, crackle and pop
jorgythegreat
United States of America

Tone arm dropping quickly!

Post by jorgythegreat » 18 Feb 2019 00:34

Hey all!

First, new to the board so I'd like to say hi! Hi! Second, which is what led me to this forum, I recently bought a Yamaha YP-211 with a new cart and belt in near perfect condition for what I considered a steal but the adjustment was all over the place. After I got that all sorted, there was one thing wrong with it, my tonearm is dropping really quickly and causing the needle to bounce when it lands. No bueno. Any advice on the best course of action to remedy this situation? Thanks in advance!

-Erik

Jim Leach
United States of America

Re: Tone arm dropping quickly!

Post by Jim Leach » 18 Feb 2019 00:57

There is another thread on the Rega for this very same topic (I thought this was that thread in fact)

Might be some insight there for you.

jorgythegreat
United States of America

Post by jorgythegreat » 18 Feb 2019 01:19

Would you happen to have a link? I'm having trouble finding it.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 18 Feb 2019 01:46

Go to Forums on the taskbar, scroll down to your entry, then scroll a further 8 entries to what I believe is the referenced forum conversation on Rega with same problem. All electronics aside, this is still a primarily reading centered forum, with a wealth of information available for those with the inclination and effort to search a bit. Hope this is the answer you seek. :wink:

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 18 Feb 2019 02:12

Hi and welcome to the forum, the problem you are have is a very common issue. The silicone damping fluid use to slow the drop rate of the tonearm as either dried up or leaked out over the years. Once this damping fluid is gone the tonearm will drop like a rock onto a record. The good news is that the damping fluid can be replaced but it will require that the bottom of the turntable be removed along with a couple of levers used to activate the cue piston. But before you remove the bottom of the turntable remove the Black cue elevator located under the tonearm. There should be a set screw on the side of the elevator that you loosen up to lift the elevator off the piston. Once this is done then the bottom can be removed and the levers can then be located and removed. The cue piston can then be pulled out to be cleaned with alcohol on a rag. There is no need to remove the E clip on the piston just pull it out but take it easy on the spring around the piston. Once the piston is out clean inside the pistons cylinder as best as you can with the corner of a thin rag dipped in alcohol to remove all of damping fluid. Then apply a small amount of new 300,000 wt silicone damping fluid in the grooves on the piston then push the piston back into the cylinder. Spin the piston around and move it up and down a couple of times to evenly spread the fluid over the piston. Then flip the turntable over and set it on some books or blocks of wood. Attach the cue elevator back onto the piston. Next balance the tonearm and set the tracking force for the cartridge installed. Then reach under the turntable and push the cue piston up manually and watch the tonearm drop. If it still drops to fast then you will need to disassemble the cue piston and add more damping fluid to the piston, if it's to slow disassemble and remove some damping fluid. There is really no way to tell you how much damping fluid to put on the first time it's trial and error. Once you like the drop rate then assemble the turntable and you should be all set to go. I have included a couple of pictures of where the cue piston is located. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the piston removed. The 300,000wt silicone damping fluid can be bought in small amounts on ebay or other sites. The pics are from a yp 211 I worked on some time back. I hope this helps.
Attachments
GEDC1035 (Copy).JPG
Red arrow is showing the cue piston under the levers
(179.23 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
GEDC1026 (Copy).JPG
Red arrow again showing the cue piston and the spring around the piston
(181.94 KiB) Downloaded 30 times