Disappointment with LP Gear

snap, crackle and pop
jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Disappointment with LP Gear

Post by jdjohn » 15 Feb 2019 18:54

I've purchased several items from LP Gear over the last few years - belts, styluses, accessories - and always had a good experience with them...until now.

I was looking for a new turntable belt, and found the one I need (based on tt make/model) on LP Gear's website. They don't list belt specs for width or thickness, but I wanted to know those tidbits, so I contacted them.

Here is their response:
"Sorry, we consider the information requested as intellectual property and one of our competitive advantages and thus do not divulge the properties of our belt replacements." [-X

"intellectual property"? IT'S A BELT!! I just want the dimensions! If I wanted to steal their precious intellectual property, I would simply buy a belt, and then copy it! :evil: I don't want to know what type or grade of rubber they use, or how it is extruded, etc. I was only asking how big is the darn thing!

I gave them quite a curt reply, pointing-out that I could simply buy it, and then if the specs don't fit my needs, return it, which would cost them in the end with additional processing. Good grief ](*,)

Pauw
Netherlands

Re: Disappointment with LP Gear

Post by Pauw » 15 Feb 2019 19:07

Sad really.....The mantra of a good business should be ....to serve the customer.....clearly LP is not a good business ....

phats

Post by phats » 15 Feb 2019 19:08

Hi JD,

I suppose you are looking for a new belt for the Logic? Try 'vinylpassionuk', an Ebay webshop. Just state your marque and no hassles! Or Dappletoft, Ebay as well. I found these using Hifisharks search function, simply stating Logic DM 101.
On the other hand; as I am refurbishing a 101 electronic, I am considering an Origin Live belt for the Logic. Some raving reviews, so I am rather curious. How is you Logic coming along?

Kind Regards, Stef.

phats

Post by phats » 15 Feb 2019 19:40

[/quote]
I used to buy a lot of stuff off specialized sites, but I'm finding more and more that I just go to places like Amazon.
[/quote]

Well, Groovy, I am talking about an old and respected deck, sometimes specialized stores are the only resources for that kind of stuff. And I truly wish there were some more parts available for the Logic like springs or arm-plates, but alas, it's a niche product. Produced from 1981 till ??. Competing with the first generation Sondek LP 12, but largely forgotten, b****r!
Then again, I was merely suggesting some reliable sources where I got my belts from which perform just fine. And OP looks for a new belt to get his deck spinning, just saying....

Kind Regards, Stef.

plyscds
United States of America

Post by plyscds » 15 Feb 2019 19:52

If the wind blows the wrong direction LP Gear can be a little funny to deal with. I've bypassed them as a stylus supplier for the past few years.

Roberto C2H3
long player
long player
Argentina

Post by Roberto C2H3 » 15 Feb 2019 19:58

jdjohn wrote:
15 Feb 2019 18:54
I've purchased several items from LP Gear over the last few years - belts, styluses, accessories - and always had a good experience with them...until now.

I was looking for a new turntable belt, and found the one I need (based on tt make/model) on LP Gear's website. They don't list belt specs for width or thickness, but I wanted to know those tidbits, so I contacted them.

Here is their response:
"Sorry, we consider the information requested as intellectual property and one of our competitive advantages and thus do not divulge the properties of our belt replacements." [-X

"intellectual property"? IT'S A BELT!! I just want the dimensions! If I wanted to steal their precious intellectual property, I would simply buy a belt, and then copy it! :evil: I don't want to know what type or grade of rubber they use, or how it is extruded, etc. I was only asking how big is the darn thing!

I gave them quite a curt reply, pointing-out that I could simply buy it, and then if the specs don't fit my needs, return it, which would cost them in the end with additional processing. Good grief ](*,)
I'm reminded of the following from "A Confederancy of Dunces":

Note: Ableman's Dry Goods has been a most valued customer of Mr. Levy's trouser factory for many years. Ignatius replies using Levy's signature to a polite letter from Ableman regarding faulty trousers sent in the last delivery:

“Abelman’s Dry Goods
Kansas City, Missouri
U.S.A. Mr. I. Abelman, Mongoloid, Esq.:
We have received via post your absurd comments about our trousers, the comments revealing, as they did, your total lack of contact with reality. Were you more aware, you would know or realize by now that the offending trousers were dispatched to you with our full knowledge that they were inadequate so far as length was concerned.
“Why? Why?” You are, in your incomprehensible babble, unable to assimilate stimulating concepts of commerce into your retarded and blighted worldview.
The trousers were sent to you (1) as a means of testing your initiative (A clever, wide-awake business concern should be able to make three-quarter-length trousers a byword of masculine fashion. Your advertising and merchandising programs are obviously faulty.) and (2) as a means of testing your ability to meet the standards requisite in a distributor of our quality product. (Our loyal and dependable outlets can vend any trouser bearing the Levy label no matter how abominable their design and construction. You are apparently a faithless people.)
We do not wish to be bothered in the future by such tedious complaints. Please confine your correspondence to orders only. We are a busy and dynamic organization whose mission needless effrontery and harassment can only hinder. If you molest us again, sir, you may feel the sting of the lash across your pitiful shoulders.
Yours in anger,
Gus Levy, Pres.”
― John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces
Last edited by Roberto C2H3 on 15 Feb 2019 20:03, edited 1 time in total.

denvertrakker
United States of America

Post by denvertrakker » 15 Feb 2019 20:33

plyscds wrote:
15 Feb 2019 19:52
If the wind blows the wrong direction LP Gear can be a little funny to deal with. I've bypassed them as a stylus supplier for the past few years.
+1. I'd use a phrase somewhat stronger than "a little funny". I had to file a complaint with my credit card company to get a refund. Never again.

BTW: "intellectual property"? They probably just don't know. As simple as that.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 15 Feb 2019 22:29

phats wrote:
15 Feb 2019 19:08
Hi JD,

I suppose you are looking for a new belt for the Logic? Try 'vinylpassionuk', an Ebay webshop. Just state your marque and no hassles! Or Dappletoft, Ebay as well. I found these using Hifisharks search function, simply stating Logic DM 101.
On the other hand; as I am refurbishing a 101 electronic, I am considering an Origin Live belt for the Logic. Some raving reviews, so I am rather curious. How is you Logic coming along?

Kind Regards, Stef.
Hi Stef,

Yep, I need a better belt for my Logic. It's running a little slow, so I'm hoping a proper belt will get the speed right. Thanks for those leads. I was just about to the point of ordering from the UK/EU anyway since these turntables are probably more popular over there, so likely better-sourced parts available. I just looked at the Origin Live site. Do you know the exact belt length needed for the DM-101? Looks like it will be in the 'Other' special category if ordered from OL, so would need to know exact length. I'm enjoying the turntable :) even with it running a smidge slow. I still want to tweak the suspension/springs a bit more, though.

jdjohn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by jdjohn » 15 Feb 2019 22:31

denvertrakker wrote:
15 Feb 2019 20:33
BTW: "intellectual property"? They probably just don't know. As simple as that.
Or, are too lazy to go get one and check.

tep392

Post by tep392 » 16 Feb 2019 05:11

I've made a few purchases from them that went well. But when I was looking for a replacement stylus for my Kenwood, I specifically wanted a Jico. When I called to see who made the stylus they carried, they told me they couldn't due to thier supplier agreement. I don't understand the secrecy but they lost the sale.

Doug G.
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Doug G. » 16 Feb 2019 06:33

Yeah, they don't know and don't want to be bothered with the effort to find out. They bought some in bulk without any specs. involved except, "Belt for Logic Turntable".

Doug

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 16 Feb 2019 07:38

jdjohn wrote:
15 Feb 2019 18:54
..."intellectual property"? IT'S A BELT!! I just want the dimensions! If I wanted to steal their precious intellectual property, I would simply buy a belt, and then copy it! ...
Yes, appalling customer service. Remind them of what happened to United Airlines when they "killed" a guitar.

Perhaps VE could create another database of replacement belt sizes and other consumables (eg. equivalent styli?).

BMRR
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by BMRR » 16 Feb 2019 17:39

I suspect part of the reason they wouldn't give you the specs is because they don't want you to be able to compare prices from other merchants. There are a lot of other belt vendors, including some that specialize in just belts and nothing else, who do the same thing: they guard their belt dimensions with incredible secrecy and claim that their belts are the only ones that truly meet original OEM specs, and therefore you should pay a premium to buy belts from them (so they say). By refusing to provide you with dimensions, they make it impossible for you to fact-check their claims. It's a shady way to do business IMHO.

TurntableNeedles and V-M Audio Enthusiasts provide belt dimensions without any secretive BS and that's one of the reasons why I prefer to buy my belts from them. Granted, they don't carry every belt known to man, but they do have a pretty good selection overall.

Allyn
United States of America

Post by Allyn » 18 Feb 2019 21:51

For the last few years LP Gear have been good to me, well since they have free shipping anyway. Before that I wouldn't use them, I simply would not pay $8+ shipping cost for a tiny box 6 miles, Henderson NV to Henderson NV.

gfreek1
United States of America

Post by gfreek1 » 18 Feb 2019 23:12

I compare sizes from different vendors, this after ordering belts that are were usually universal fit. Example , I had table that would not correctly change speeds, until i ordered from a vendor in the UK, the belt was just a hair wider.. No experience with LP Gear as yet, but I have noticed no dimensions given..