SL-D1 speed/wow & flutter problem?

turning japanese
junglungs

SL-D1 speed/wow & flutter problem?

Post by junglungs » 13 Feb 2019 23:54

Hi all,

I was posting here a couple months back asking for recommendations on what turntable to buy. I ended up getting a refurbished SL-D1 online from a seller a couple people had recommended.

Unfortunately, after a week or so, I began to notice that when listening to records with piano, acoustic guitar or long bass tones, the pitch seemed to be wavering/out of tune, which I guess means there is an issue with the speed and/or wow, if that's the correct term for it.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is this reparable? The seller says the speed pots were already cleaned and de-oxited, but if it's an issue with wow, not sure that would really have an affect or what. They suggested I just vigorously move the pitch wheel back and forth to clean out any dust, but that doesn't improve things at all.

It's now been about 2 months since I purchased and this has been a really disappointing experience. Every time I put on a record I end up cringing at the sound. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

AudioFeline
Australia

Re: SL-D1 speed/wow & flutter problem?

Post by AudioFeline » 14 Feb 2019 00:08

I would be wondering if the capacitors require replacement.
Wow - those speed fluctuations would be annoying.

Electone

Post by Electone » 17 Feb 2019 03:12

You need to remove the bottom and get some DeOxit or other contact cleaner into the pitch control potentiometer.

junglungs

Post by junglungs » 17 Feb 2019 05:32

Thanks for the responses.

The seller stated on his website and also directly to me that the speed controls were thoroughly cleaned with deoxit. I'm inclined to believe him on that, but I'm just wondering if there might be other causes for this problem. Or other fixes.

Regarding capacitors, well, I'm not technically skilled in any sense, so I'm not really sure what that means or how I'd go about fixing them. This is the reason why I bought refurbished, believing this would be a simple plug and play.

Something I did consider was that I live in an old house with older wiring - could that have an effect on this sort of thing? I did find a thread on another forum a while back where someone was saying that most turntables would have some kind of mechanism built into the circuitry so that even if the voltage was unstable, the turntable would still run at a consistent speed. However, that was just one voice, so does anyone know if that could be a possible cause?

Really thought Technics in general are supposed to be pretty solid when it came to speed stability. Am I just expecting too much, having previously owned a SL-1200 (which I never had such a problem with)?
Last edited by junglungs on 17 Feb 2019 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 17 Feb 2019 05:56

As a simple description, capacitors are cylindrical components on a circuit board, either standing on one end or laying flat. They are often grey or blue with writing on them, and can be small or large size. They are not the small cylindrical components with coloured stripes - they are resistors. Capacitors have a limited lifespan, and it's not unusual for them to be replaced after 10 or more years. An electronics technician should be able to test the capacitors and replace them if required. (Note, I'm not a technician, so take the above as general information).

I don't think the house wiring would be causing the problem. I don't think you are asking too much of your Technics SL-D1 - it should spin at a constant speed.

junglungs

Post by junglungs » 19 Feb 2019 03:34

Not that I relish the idea of bringing in my supposedly "refurbished" Technics in for repairs almost right after receiving it, but anyone have an idea about in general how much it would cost to get the caps replaced? I realize it may vary slightly by country, but is this an easy fix?

I'm feeling so frustrated with this thing, I'm considering just selling it off at a discount and putting the money towards something better.

AudioFeline
Australia

Post by AudioFeline » 19 Feb 2019 05:25

The SL-D1-3 were a reasonable turntable - not top level but also not entry level. Worth spinning for someone, I think.

Capacitors are not expensive, only a dollar or two. The main expense is the time to dismantle the unit to get access to the board, testing the caps and removing/replacing, then reassembling.

Another thing to check is the platter bearing - does it have oil in it? If it's dry it might cause the speed variations. It only requires a small amount of oil - don't expect to see the bearing half-full of oil!

lenjack

Post by lenjack » 19 Feb 2019 16:12

The speed controls that were cleaned are meant to keep the correct speed, but they don't influence wow and flutter.