Telefunken STS-1 without cartridge, what to buy?

snap, crackle and pop
MaximusMKD

Telefunken STS-1 without cartridge, what to buy?

Post by MaximusMKD » 11 Feb 2019 22:40

Hello all. Recently i bought this turntable, but it is without the cartridge. Originally it comes with Ortofon low mass Concorde LMA5. I would like to buy something on a low budget around 100$, better below that ammout. Would i be able to put the Audio-Technica AT-95E on this turntable? I will also need a matching headshell. I looked for the Ortofon Concorde cartridges but the specs on all of them (DJ, S, Pro S etc.) state a frequency response from 20-18,000 Hz, but i would like a cartridge that can produce a frequency response of at least 20-20,000 Hz. Any advice will be much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

nat
long player
long player

Re: Telefunken STS-1 without cartridge, what to buy?

Post by nat » 11 Feb 2019 22:47

If it can take the Concord, that suggests to me that it uses an SME/Japanese bayonet, and can therefore use any of that type of headshell (though the headshell's mass may be a constraint, depending on the counterweight). Practically any cartridge produces 20 -20khz - perhaps DJ cartridges have trouble because their cantilevers have to be very stout.

MaximusMKD

Re: Telefunken STS-1 without cartridge, what to buy?

Post by MaximusMKD » 11 Feb 2019 23:12

nat wrote:
11 Feb 2019 22:47
If it can take the Concord, that suggests to me that it uses an SME/Japanese bayonet, and can therefore use any of that type of headshell (though the headshell's mass may be a constraint, depending on the counterweight). Practically any cartridge produces 20 -20khz - perhaps DJ cartridges have trouble because their cantilevers have to be very stout.
Thanks for the answer. I googled about replacing the cartridge and they say that it's a bit specific for this turntable, not all cartridges match because of the weitght. Maybe something like Ortofon 2M Red PnP MKII will match? Also what about the Audio-Technica AT95E, is it possible to be put on this turntable?